Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JonaK

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2013
A sufficiently plastic brain will allow you to see either way as "natural," the problem comes with ergonomics. Pulling the mouse wheel towards you is much easier and less stressful on your hand. This is the no-quotation-marks-natural ergonomic for the human body.

The new Apple "natural" functionality is like handing you a delicious ice cream (trackpad use) with one hand while the other smacks you in the back of the head (mouse use).

I made a quick service-script to easily and quickly switch between reversed and normal scrolling. https://www.box.com/s/vdmftf1e9ix9i5bibs6g

It installs the workflow into /Library/Services. You can access the script easily by opening the application menu (E.G. "Finder" next to the  menu in the top-right corner), then "Services", then "Switch Scroll Direction". I hope this helps anyone with this annoying problem =/

Update: I updated the link above. You no longer need to have a mouse connected for the script to work. Also updated the installer a bit

Last edited:

Jjaro

macrumors regular
May 29, 2009
Yokosuka, Japan
Scroll Reverser works for OS X Mavericks!

Hey guys!

Recently (well...today...), I finally started using full screen apps, and discovered that it just felt more...right to me to use natural scrolling between the apps using three fingers on the touchpad (without natural scrolling turned on, it just felt off...I don't know maybe it's because I am so used to my iPad). But it was pissing me off ROYALLY that I couldn't change the "natural" scroll direction for my mouse! So I googled it, and found your thread. At first I tried steer mouse, but that didn't work. Then I downloaded "Scroll Reverser" as was also suggested and it works great! The reason I am pointing this out is because I am using OS X Mavericks, and wanted to say that Scroll Reverser still works great even though it's not officially supported yet! Yaaayyyy!!!

Later!

ndpitch

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2010
Figured I'd chime in as well. Struggled with this problem forever, and finally found this thread. Scroll Reverser did it. I went as far as emailing the developer to the BetterTouchTool to suggest implementing this feature, but that got me no where. So now I have both the BTT and Scroll Reverser. If BTT can handle it in the future I'll probably use just that.

The optimal solution would be for Apple to have their settings work the way we want them to.

calbearz24

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2012
SF Bay Area
In order to get the scroll reverser to work in a way that lets you have natural track pad scrolling and normal mouse scrolling do the following:

1. download scroll reverser program from http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/37872/scroll-reverser

2. go into system preferences and make sure the box that enables natural track pad scrolling is NOT checked.

3. turn on scroll reverser

4. click on the icon on the toolbar, go to preferences, and un-check the reverse mouse option

5. This is an optional step for convenience. click on the icon on the toolbar, go to preferences, and check the option that says "Start at Login." This will make it so you do not have to turn on and configure the scroll reverser each time you log in.

I use an old dell mouse as well, and this worked perfectly.

This method still works on Mavericks and my late 2013 13" rMBP. THANK YOU!!! I use Windows at work so getting used to the opposite scroll direction on the mouse isn't an option.

Figured I'd chime in as well. Struggled with this problem forever, and finally found this thread. Scroll Reverser did it. I went as far as emailing the developer to the BetterTouchTool to suggest implementing this feature, but that got me no where. So now I have both the BTT and Scroll Reverser. If BTT can handle it in the future I'll probably use just that.

The optimal solution would be for Apple to have their settings work the way we want them to.

BTT unfortunately still ties the mouse scrolling to touchpad like OSX.

petruza

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2009
Natural scrolling is indeed natural, for touch surfaces.

Anyone that has dragged content on adobe products with the hand icon (holding space) will know the metaphor, it's like dragging the content, AKA the paper, NOT the window, as MacOS and Windows talked us into through decades.
It is a better UI, as it is closer to the real thing it tries to mimic, the paper.

But the mouse wheel is different. As I see it, I picture myself rolling a wheel towards me on the top of the wheel, while in turn the bottom of the wheel drags the paper away from me, in this context, it makes a lot of sense to scroll content up when you drag the wheel down (towards you)

But as it's been said here, I guess Apple is trying to get rid of the wheel in favor of touch pads, after all Apple is always the first one to say a cold goodbye to old devices, like diskettes for example.

iMerik

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2011
Upper Midwest
Natural scrolling is indeed natural, for touch surfaces.

Anyone that has dragged content on adobe products with the hand icon (holding space) will know the metaphor, it's like dragging the content, AKA the paper, NOT the window, as MacOS and Windows talked us into through decades.
It is a better UI, as it is closer to the real thing it tries to mimic, the paper.

But the mouse wheel is different. As I see it, I picture myself rolling a wheel towards me on the top of the wheel, while in turn the bottom of the wheel drags the paper away from me, in this context, it makes a lot of sense to scroll content up when you drag the wheel down (towards you)

But as it's been said here, I guess Apple is trying to get rid of the wheel in favor of touch pads, after all Apple is always the first one to say a cold goodbye to old devices, like diskettes for example.
Apple is all about making their devices intuitive so they just work. I feel like if they honestly looked at this issue, they would see that the intuitive action is for natural and wheel scrolling to be opposite of each other, as is the reason for this thread. At the very least, enough Apple employees have to've (yes, my made up contraction) noticed this same issue and thought that there should at least be a built-in option for it even if it's left off the GUI and buried in a plist somewhere we have to edit.

Pinksteady

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2008
Last edited:

realitydroid

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2014
Scroll Reverser didn't work as intended for me. It'd completely ignore the trackpad settings and assume that both the trackpad and the mouse were one in the same. Therefore, if I had my wireless mouse setup to work with traditional scrolling, the trackpad would also be in traditional scrolling and vice versa.

Steermouse, on the other hand, works as expected. So, thank you guys for such great suggestions!

rafaelclaycon

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2011
Brasil
How to make the scroll reverser work

In order to get the scroll reverser to work in a way that lets you have natural track pad scrolling and normal mouse scrolling do the following:

1. download scroll reverser program from http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/37872/scroll-reverser

2. go into system preferences and make sure the box that enables natural track pad scrolling is NOT checked.

3. turn on scroll reverser

4. click on the icon on the toolbar, go to preferences, and un-check the reverse mouse option

5. This is an optional step for convenience. click on the icon on the toolbar, go to preferences, and check the option that says "Start at Login." This will make it so you do not have to turn on and configure the scroll reverser each time you log in.

I use an old dell mouse as well, and this worked perfectly.

Thank you so much, Jomatt98!

It worked perfectly for me on OS X 10.10.5 Yosemite with a Microsoft wireless mouse (those ones that come with a little USB adapter).

brad@HCE

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
I know this is an old post, but my software engineering firm used this as a first project because I was also annoyed by this setting.
The final product is called Squirrelly because I felt the natural scroll direction that Apple used felt a little "squirrelly". Our app is a light weight, efficient status bar app that works great. You can download it quickly and easily from our website at http://www.handceng.com/squirrelly/ for $1.29 USD.

iMerik

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2011
Upper Midwest
I know this is an old post, but my software engineering firm used this as a first project because I was also annoyed by this setting.
The final product is called Squirrelly because I felt the natural scroll direction that Apple used felt a little "squirrelly". Our app is a light weight, efficient status bar app that works great. You can download it quickly and easily from our website at http://www.handceng.com/squirrelly/ for $1.29 USD.
I like the name, but can you provide some information or screen shots so we can compare against free solutions like Scroll Reverser? With Scroll Reverser still an active project that receives updates when needed, it's a hard sell to move away from it.

brad@HCE

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Thanks for responding. I have updated the website with screen captures, so you and others can now see Squirrelly's user interface. I looked at the latest version of Scroll Reverser and I think I can make a case for Squirrelly. Squirrelly and Scroll Reverser fill a similar need in a slightly different way.

Scroll Reverser seems to have been designed to handle any sort of scroll preferences you might need. For instance Scroll Reverser has settings to reverse the track pad, mouse and Wacom tablet. Scroll Reverser has also been around for a while, so it is still written in objective-c which Apple is starting to move away from. Also, because it is designed to handle more types of events, the event tap callback has significantly more code than Squirrelly's does, so for every scroll event there is more code executed making it potentially run slower (the difference may be negligible). Scroll Reverser is also more than twice the size of squirrelly. This probably won’t matter much to some users, but those with 128 gig or smaller drives may like this.

Squirrelly was made to be extremely light weight and do one simple task efficiently. Squirrelly does not reverse the track pad and does not even look for Wacom events. Squirrelly only reverses the mouse vertical scrolling direction. The decision to have this limited functionality was purposeful, because the code runs for every scroll event, so it needs to be efficient. Also, we felt that 99% of people looking for this functionality would only use Squirrelly in this way. Most users will set the scroll direction to natural so the track pad will feel natural and want only the vertical scroll for the mouse to be reversed. Every complaint I have heard is about the vertical mouse scroll.

Squirrelly is written entirely in Swift 2.0. Apple is promoting Swift over objective-c for a lot of reasons. Swift is easier to read and maintain, has better memory management, is safer (more secure), and compiles to a faster executable.

On top of that Squirrelly is targeted to run only on Yosemite or later so it does not contain any legacy code that has been deprecated but is required for older systems. Scroll Reverser can run on older operating systems but it has to use deprecated libraries to do so.
Squirrelly is designed to be as modern and efficient as possible.

Scroll Reverser and Squirrelly both have a place in the market. Scroll Reverser is free, but if you are using it every day and are happy with it, I would encourage you to donate to the project. This helps keep the project going and helps cover the cost of any server space and traffic they need to pay for when you download.

Squirrelly is extremely inexpensive. We will not become rich because of Squirrelly, but we hope to pay for the costs of our servers and the taxes associated with our business. Squirrelly runs on top of every thing you use. You will use Squirrelly whenever you use your computer. $1.29 is less than most software and is cheaper than a cup of coffee, so you can feel comfortable purchasing. You can even afford to get both Squirrelly and Scroll Reverser and decide which one you prefer after testing both.

Squirrelly also has a cool logo. I may be biased on that one.

Thank you again for reminding me about the screen captures,

Brad Collins

iMerik

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2011
Upper Midwest
Thanks for responding. I have updated the website with screen captures, so you and others can now see Squirrelly's user interface. I looked at the latest version of Scroll Reverser and I think I can make a case for Squirrelly. Squirrelly and Scroll Reverser fill a similar need in a slightly different way.

Scroll Reverser seems to have been designed to handle any sort of scroll preferences you might need. For instance Scroll Reverser has settings to reverse the track pad, mouse and Wacom tablet. Scroll Reverser has also been around for a while, so it is still written in objective-c which Apple is starting to move away from. Also, because it is designed to handle more types of events, the event tap callback has significantly more code than Squirrelly's does, so for every scroll event there is more code executed making it potentially run slower (the difference may be negligible). Scroll Reverser is also more than twice the size of squirrelly. This probably won’t matter much to some users, but those with 128 gig or smaller drives may like this.

Squirrelly was made to be extremely light weight and do one simple task efficiently. Squirrelly does not reverse the track pad and does not even look for Wacom events. Squirrelly only reverses the mouse vertical scrolling direction. The decision to have this limited functionality was purposeful, because the code runs for every scroll event, so it needs to be efficient. Also, we felt that 99% of people looking for this functionality would only use Squirrelly in this way. Most users will set the scroll direction to natural so the track pad will feel natural and want only the vertical scroll for the mouse to be reversed. Every complaint I have heard is about the vertical mouse scroll.

Squirrelly is written entirely in Swift 2.0. Apple is promoting Swift over objective-c for a lot of reasons. Swift is easier to read and maintain, has better memory management, is safer (more secure), and compiles to a faster executable.

On top of that Squirrelly is targeted to run only on Yosemite or later so it does not contain any legacy code that has been deprecated but is required for older systems. Scroll Reverser can run on older operating systems but it has to use deprecated libraries to do so.
Squirrelly is designed to be as modern and efficient as possible.

Scroll Reverser and Squirrelly both have a place in the market. Scroll Reverser is free, but if you are using it every day and are happy with it, I would encourage you to donate to the project. This helps keep the project going and helps cover the cost of any server space and traffic they need to pay for when you download.

Squirrelly is extremely inexpensive. We will not become rich because of Squirrelly, but we hope to pay for the costs of our servers and the taxes associated with our business. Squirrelly runs on top of every thing you use. You will use Squirrelly whenever you use your computer. $1.29 is less than most software and is cheaper than a cup of coffee, so you can feel comfortable purchasing. You can even afford to get both Squirrelly and Scroll Reverser and decide which one you prefer after testing both.

Squirrelly also has a cool logo. I may be biased on that one.

Thank you again for reminding me about the screen captures,

Brad Collins
All very good points, honestly. I'll give it a shot. I don't often horizontal scroll with the mouse wheel, but how will that act with Squirrelly? Also, does the sandboxing requirement prevent this from being available through the Mac App Store?

brad@HCE

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
All very good points, honestly. I'll give it a shot. I don't often horizontal scroll with the mouse wheel, but how will that act with Squirrelly?

The horizontal scroll direction is not affected in Squirrelly, so it will be the same as it is using natural scrolling. We decided not to clutter the app with a feature that most would not use anyway. When I was using early versions of Squirrelly, I always unchecked horizontal scrolling because with my mouse it felt unnatural. My scroll wheel leans to the left or right like most scroll wheels that have the horizontal scrolling feature. It does not roll horizontally. Basically, we did not change the horizontal scroll because it already feels right.

The reason it is not on the store is exactly that. You cannot run the event tap in a sandbox. The sandbox made problems for the run at login code too.

Thank you,

Brad Collins

Last edited:

ahmadka

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2012
ScrollReverser is definitely the solution. Works for me on Mountain Lion 10.8.2.

My settings:

- Scroll Direction natural in System Trackpad preference settings.
- Reverse Scrolling enabled in ScrollReverser.
- Reverse Vertical, Reverse Mouse, Start at Login ENABLED in ScrollReverser preferences.
- Reverse Trackpad DISABLED in ScrollReverser preferences.

I think those settings make the most sense.

It's the perfect app to achieve this solution, free and you can hide it from the menu bar if you don't like clutter. Apple should definitely have this option in their preferences though...

This worked for me on El Capitan !! Thanks so much !!

liran

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2017
Scroll Reverser seems to be working for me as well. Thanks for posting that.

I was having the exact same problem as the OP. I have to use Windows computers for work, and it's too confusing for me to switch scroll directions between work and home.

It would be nice if Apple woke up to this issue and made the "natural" scroll direction separate for the mouse and trackpad.

p.s. seems to work for Mountain Lion as well.

Works on Sierra, thank you so much!!

Reactions: Swivelgames

Swivelgames

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2017
For those still wondering, if you've made it here for BetterTouchTool, it definitely exists in the utility. No need to go out and purchase another one! :)

CdEdUAA.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.