Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
Is the color of the frame (the metal band on the sides of the phone) on the Natural Titanium model the same color as the frame on the White Titanium model?

Is one of them the natural color of the metal while another one is dyed through an anodizing process?

Anonymous123

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2009
This is a great question and I’m wondering the same thing. Based on early videos, it appears the frame when scratched on darker iPhone 15 Pro colors will expose the natural titanium underneath. Many of course will say to use a case but for those who like to go caseless this is a very pertinent question. On Apple’s website, the frame on the white iPhone 15 Pro appears to be a shade brighter than the natural titanium, which suggests there is indeed a coating on it. This leads to the question of how the white will look when the frame is scratched 🤔

Reactions: ThomasJL

coso

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2012
AFAIK they are all coated, even the natural titanium one. When deeply scratched, it's the color underneath anyway. The white titanium shell is a lighter color than natural titanium

Anonymous123

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2009
AFAIK they are all coated, even the natural titanium one. When deeply scratched, it's the color underneath anyway. The white titanium shell is a lighter color than natural titanium
Unfortunately, when the frame is deeply scratched, the color is not underneath it. This video shows a blue one being dropped and the (natural?) titanium is exposed when the frame is scratched:

As for the white iPhone 15 Pro, if it does indeed have a coating on it, I’m curious how noticeable it is when the frame of it is scratched.

emeka09

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2023
They are both PVD coated. The white titanium has a more silver frame, while the natural titanium is pvd coated to match the colour of the back glass.

Reactions: StudioMacs

coso

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2012
Unfortunately, when the frame is deeply scratched, the color is not underneath it. This video shows a blue one being dropped and the (natural?) titanium is exposed when the frame is scratched:

If the white iPhone 15 Pro does indeed have a coating on it, I’m curious how noticeable it is when the frame of it is scratched.

Oh yeah, I meant, natural titanium will be the color underneath the scratch for all colors. But I'll be using a case anyway and there's no way in hell it will happen to me. In 15-ish years I never scratched an iPhone, they were all still in pristine condition for their whole life (or they were, before I sold them or gifted them)

Anyway I don't like light colors on the iPhone (I have a gold 13 pro now) so I went black for the 15PM. Natural titanium would have felt like the same gold phone. I thought I like gold. I don't really

Anonymous123

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2009
They are both PVD coated. The white titanium has a more silver frame, while the natural titanium is pvd coated to match the colour of the back glass.
Interesting. Now we’ll need to see what each looks like when scratched but it’ll probably take some time before photos/videos come out. If you see any be sure to post them here!

Anonymous123

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2009
Guys please don't scratch you iPhones
Yeah, I’m definitely not encouraging anyone to do that but I’m sure there will be some relevant drop test and durability test videos out there that will eventually shed some more light into this whole thing.

Reactions: coso

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Yeah, I’m definitely not encouraging anyone to do that but I’m sure there will be some relevant drop test and durability test videos out there that will eventually shed some more light into this whole thing.
If someone wants to find out, I’m sure they could manage to do so in an Apple Store… Not that I’m encouraging anyone to do that either.

Anonymous123

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2009
Here’s a video showing the natural titanium frame being scratched and it does indeed have a coating:

Now all we need to see is the white iPhone 15 Pro we’ll have an idea of how each holds up.

Carlsberg69

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2023
Here’s a video showing the natural titanium frame being scratched and it does indeed have a coating:

Now all we need to see is the white iPhone 15 Pro we’ll have an idea of how each holds up.
Hmm 🤔 really seams to get scratches and marks easily. Maybe not the best phone if you like to go caseless.

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
Hmm, so are you saying that both models' frames are coated, but Natural Titanium model's coating is colored while the White Titanium model's coating is uncolored?

If that's what you're saying, then could it mean that the White Titanium's frame is actually the only model that has the real 'natural' color of titanium?

Anonymous123

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2009
Hmm, so are you saying that both models' frames are coated, but Natural Titanium model's coating is colored while the White Titanium model's coating is uncolored?

If that's what you're saying, then could it mean that the White Titanium's frame is actually the only model that has the real 'natural' color of titanium?
That’s the big question. But we may not truly know until a scratch test is done on the white iPhone 15 Pro frame. Again, not suggesting anyone do that, but if and when there’s a test with the white titanium model then we’ll know for sure how it looks underneath the frame.

coso

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2012
AFAIK titanium metal has actually that champagne grey tone of the natural

Anonymous123

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2009
We have our answer. The below video shows a drop test with the white iPhone 15 Pro Max. At about the 3:44 mark you can see the scratches on the frame. So just like the black, blue, and natural titanium variants, there is indeed a coating on it.

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
We have our answer. The below video shows a drop test with the white iPhone 15 Pro Max. At about the 3:44 mark you can see the scratches on the frame. So just like the black, blue, and natural titanium variants, there is indeed a coating on it.

Thanks for sharing. It does look like there might be some kind of coating on the White Titanium model's band.

I don't know if the coating is colored or uncolored. The scratches on the band look noticeably brighter in color than the unscratched parts of the band, but I don't know if that could just be because of the matte texture of the band.

With MacBook line models, although all of them have a matte texture, the silver model is the only color that is the natural color of the aluminum. It's the only one that hasn't been dyed (anodized).

I'm wondering if the bands on the Natural Titanium and the White Titanium have been dyed (like the Titanium Blue and the Titanium black models' bands have).

Reactions: Anonymous123

coso

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2012
My new black 15 Pro Max came with a small chip, 1/10th mm of coating missing up left near where the front glass connects. I'll keep it, it just looks like a mini white dust particle, anyway yeah

Berries-A-Million

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2019

There is not a coating on the natural titanium model. Any metal with scratch like that. More less on polished metals like stainless steel.

Berries-A-Million

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2019

Metal scratches. That is not proof there is a coating. Let me know when you see it peeling.

SisterBlue22

macrumors demi-goddess
Apr 29, 2015
Arizona
To answer the original question - yes, the side rails of the white phone are the exact same color as the side rails of the natural Ti phone. I can't speak to any coatings, but they are the same color.

Kurt871

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2004
To answer the original question - yes, the side rails of the white phone are the exact same color as the side rails of the natural Ti phone. I can't speak to any coatings, but they are the same color.
They absolutely are not:
IMG_3079.jpeg
IMG_3086.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.