Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CyberGene

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
It's really annoying that anytime I switch from the Maps to Music or any other CarPlay app, a rectangular overlay with the next expected turn appears at the bottom of the screen and shadows what's on the screen there, so I have to remove it. It's both unsafe, since it adds up distractions to the already distracting situation of touching the screen while driving, but is also very annoying and against good UI practices because it appears a fraction of a second after the new app screen is rendered and I often find myself reaching for a button on the new app but ending up touching the navigation overlay which brings me back to Maps and I have to do it all over and I just scream in frustration. Again, while driving. And before you suggest Siri, my language is not supported by Siri. Apple need to urgently fix this and stop showing these overlays when switching from Maps to the other applications. I know what the next turn is, I don't need it taking half of my screen on top of the other app. And no, this isn't appearing only when the next turn is approaching, it appears right after you switch to the other app, even when the next turn is after a kilometer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.