Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ecks618

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
NYC
Just noticed an iPhone version of Navizon was added. I have never used it and it looks cool on their website but I can't get it to work. I get no known Call of Wifi networks in range.

Has anyone tried this program out and got it to work???

Speedracer04

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
ive been playing with it for the last half an hour, but havnt gotten it to successfully work yet....but Im over using it on EDGE, does that matter?

Im actually not even exactly sure what it does...

I can log in fine from my computer but when I try to log in via the app on my phone it doesnt recognize my username/pw.

BTP

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2007
I have gotten it to work and it does work well. I am only on EDGE as well.

When I signed up, I selected "both" referring to phone and wireless. That caused the "GPS" to be close, but off by a few blocks. Which is funny, as I can't connect to any wireless points on my iPhone. I went back into the Navazon website and changed from "both" to "phone" (where it says "Is your Pocket PC equipped with:). That made it very accurate.

I signed up on the website and logged in on my iPhone. Looks really good.

There is something on the website about rewards, where they allow you to earn money, but it is far from explained. Edit: I was on my.navizon.com, everything is explained on navizon.com.

aerospace

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
Im actually not even exactly sure what it does...

from the website it claims to be able to use cell signal to determine your location without a gps chip. kinda how 911 is supposed to able to find you. not sure how accurate it is, but VERY cool if it works

DogHouseDub

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2007
SF
Navizon working on iPhone

Navizon is working on two iPhones in my hands. It did cause my system to freeze the first time. After forcing a restart, I trashed an app (FiveDice) before trying again. On a second iPhone, it had no other apps installed and everything worked perfectly.

I'd suggest signing up for an account online (http://www.navizon.com), the logging in via your iPhone. Perfect integration with Google maps. I guess the only thing left is getting it to follow your position in real time and read the turn-by-turn directions aloud...still a fantastic upgrade to the iPhone.

iPhoneGuy2007

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2007
login

User name and password appear to be case sensitive. Confirm that the iPhone isnt' capitalizing either one.

Speedracer04

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
User name and password appear to be case sensitive. Confirm that the iPhone isnt' capitalizing either one.

ah, thanks.

however I still get an error :(

"Unable to Locate: Your location could not be identified. No known Cells or WiFi nodes in range"

that doesnt make sense to me. I have full bars of service, so I know there are cell towers around

iPhoneGuy2007

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2007
That's as far ...

...as i've gotten too. The site is loading really slowly for me, so I suspect they're receiving more traffic than they expected.

I've tried changing the phone/wifi setting to phone and turned off wifi on my iPhone, but that didn't allow me to be located either.

Also, the blue Directions button at the bottom of the "locating" screen doesn't do anything for me ... cancel does work and ends the locating process

Speedracer04

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
...as i've gotten too. The site is loading really slowly for me, so I suspect they're receiving more traffic than they expected.

I've tried changing the phone/wifi setting to phone and turned off wifi on my iPhone, but that didn't allow me to be located either.

Also, the blue Directions button at the bottom of the "locating" screen doesn't do anything for me ... cancel does work and ends the locating process

same for me in all aspects. This could be a great app once it gets working to its full potential.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
Must be patient with Navizon (website and app seem overloaded) but once successful this is the major piece I have been waiting for...

Clear the field in GoogleMaps before activating Navizon.

Very pleased with this much needed Application!

Confirmed that Username and Password are case-sensitive.

BTP

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2007
It works great for me. It just updated to 1.0.1.

When I get the 'not found' message, I just try again and it works. Maybe I'm lucky?

ecks618

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
NYC
I updated to 1.0.1 and still get the same message with both wifi and edge.

jaXed

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2007
Navizon works well for me - but how do I find, say, the closest deli to my lat/long location? Any ideas?

bentup

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2007
San Francisco
ah, thanks.

however I still get an error :(

"Unable to Locate: Your location could not be identified. No known Cells or WiFi nodes in range"

that doesnt make sense to me. I have full bars of service, so I know there are cell towers around

It seems this service is based on a user created database. A large part of their website is devoted to users being able to submit wifi networks and cell towers with coordinates from a GPS. So, if you are getting that error message, either your area has yet to be added to their database, or their service is swamped because of all the new adopters.
http://www.navizon.com/faq.htm
There FAQ has a lot of good information
, but still assumes the user has a basic knowledge of the service. I have the same error message, and decided I would help create the database for my area, but sadly their java software, and my Powerbook and Garmin GPS don't get along. This should be a wonderful service once all the kinks get worked out! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.