Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

perquesta

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2011
Canberra, Australia
I have the latest 27" iMac.
After a recent High Sierra beta formatted my Boot Fusion Drive to APFS, I attempted to revert the drive back to HFS+ in preparation for the release of High Sierra on the 25th. I used the routine outlined on the Apple Beta Software Program page.

However, when I attempted to use step 8 (erase the boot disk using Disk Utility) the boot disk was rendered unavailable and I was subsequently not able to format it as either APFS or HFS+. Nothing I tried would work.

Fortunately I had a backup on an external hard drive created by Carbon Copy Cloner. I was able to boot back into High Sierra using that disk. However, I am now having a little trouble restoring the iMac hard drive using Carbon Copy Cloner.

tn-xyz

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2017
it should be resolved by following the terminal commands as stated on the same page. give it a try.

perquesta

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2011
Canberra, Australia
Thanks tn-xyz. I was using the first method, using an external drive. I did use the terminal commands to create a bootable installer on a 16Gb USB stick, but it led to the problems I described earlier.

However, I am now pleased to announce that I was able to reinstate my hard drive using Carbon Copy Cloner, leaving me with beta 17A360a on a HFS+ system hard drive (1.03 TB Fusion Drive). Now I will wait till Monday to install the High Sierra release.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Your experience provides a good example of why a bootable cloned backup trumps a Time Machine backup nearly all the time.

What would you have done without the CCC clone?

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
Your experience provides a good example of why a bootable cloned backup trumps a Time Machine backup nearly all the time.

Agreed! CCC (or similar programs) that can make an exact, bootable clone have gotten me out of a pinch countless times over the years.

perquesta

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2011
Canberra, Australia

I've no idea. The software on the USB installer was no hope. I would have had no way of contacting the community for ideas. I was thinking of using Safari on my iPhone to search for possible solutions. I agree that CCC is a godsend. I was using a trial version, but promptly bought it afterwards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.