Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
$640 is the value for a 12 pro traded in

isn’t that a better deal to buy outright and trade up buying the newer outright?

Considering at 12 months with IUP you’ve paid for half of the phone with ac+ Price bundled in there and you’re going to restart payments from zero with iPhone 13?
Trade in price seem little bumped up right now. Probably to help sales.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
That's why I stick with Apple's IUP. I can upgrade every year or wait the full 24 months.

Of course I upgrade every year..... :(
I was looking at apples program it says payments for 24 months, so they will let you upgrade at each year? which program do you need to get to qualify for the yearly upgrade? I feel Verizon is VERY sneaky!

swarlos

Suspended
Oct 18, 2015
I was looking at apples program it says payments for 24 months, so they will let you upgrade at each year? which program do you need to get to qualify for the yearly upgrade? I feel Verizon is VERY sneaky!

They’re talking about iPhone upgrade program. You can keep upgrading your phone every year after making 12 payments only caveat is you are required to have AppleCare+ as well.

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
Where read payoff penalty? Looks like can payoff anytime with credits received but no future credits will be applied.
The penalty is that the credits stop. That means you get $666 in credits for the 2 yrs, you owe them $333 for the last year plus the remaining cost of the phone… and you’re out your original phone.

Reactions: Crz10

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
The best deal without a long contract is to port in your number to Verizon and bring your own phone. They will give you a $500 gift card after 30 days. You just have to stay with them for a year. Sell your current phone and combine it with the gift card to buy a new phone outright. No bill credits, and a 1 year commitment

qs933

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2015
I don't get all the angst about the promos.

I could be mistaken, but none of the major carriers require you to take the additional promo credits that are provided over a period of time.

If you want to avoid all of that, you can buy the new phone outright without a promo, either one-time or in installments. If you trade-in without a promo, they give you the credit for the trade-in upfront (at least VZ does), so you can leave fair-and-square any time as long as the phone is paid off. Or you can sell your phone on eBay or Craigslist (more effort, (potentially) more return).

If you want the extra promo credits, there's a trade-off -- committing to stay with the carrier to receive the extra promo credits. You have the choice and the power to decide which one is right for you.

RealSkyDiver

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
I have an 8+ and if I get $800 credit for that over the next 3 years that would be $22.22 credit a month. Right now my monthly bill is just under $70 and I would have to upgrade to an unlimited plan which will cost closer to $100 so it doesn’t seem worth it for me as I work from home and barely use any data.

Reactions: Tikatika

Tikatika

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2012
Northern California
I have an 8+ and if I get $800 credit for that over the next 3 years that would be $22.22 credit a month. Right now my monthly bill is just under $70 and I would have to upgrade to an unlimited plan which will cost closer to $100 so it doesn’t seem worth it for me as I work from home and barely use any data.
That is exactly the conclusion I came to! I’ve always upgraded my iPhones through AT&T but I don’t like that they would use that $1000 over a 3 year period. I’d prefer to get Apple’s trade in offer up front so this year my new phone is going on my Apple Card!

Reactions: RealSkyDiver

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
These “bill credits” are deceptive and an unfair practice. The carriers should be required to pay them in one lump sum and not over 30 or 36 months. It’s creating an inherent contract for the customer and preventing them from receiving the full value of their device!
Yep. The laws are too lenient towards them. But I guess those laws are written by politicians lobbied by the very same corps.comical.

theanimala

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2007
Best deal right now is Verizon is offering $799 trade in credit on the XR, same as for the 12 Pro, unreal. Standard iPhone 13 is only 24 months of payments vs the Pro‘s 30 months. Getting the 13 for free over 24 months is a no brainer, especially considering you are trading in a 3 year old phone…

anticipate

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2013
These “bill credits” are deceptive and an unfair practice. The carriers should be required to pay them in one lump sum and not over 30 or 36 months. It’s creating an inherent contract for the customer and preventing them from receiving the full value of their device!
That’s literally exactly what it does.

Lotuskid

macrumors regular
May 23, 2010
The carrier deals are essentially just an incentive to keep people on their networks. Which makes sense from a business standpoint for them. If you value the freedom to move around then you can happily only get Apple's device trade in without carrier incentives.

OR take the carrier incentive anyway and if you should find that before the 24-30 months are up you want to leave the carrier you still can you just 'lose' a little bit of a promotion that you would have gotten for staying. You still got SOME money back for your trade in, just not the full amount because you didn't fulfill the agreement. This isn't a contract that locks you in or charges you extra for breaching contract.

think of it like a job contract. Say you get paid 10 dollars a month for a job, or 120 dollars a year. If you left after month one you can't ask for the remainder 110 dollars of the year for not staying with that job

wicker21

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010
Carrier contracts are garbage. They lock you in and force you to a higher tier plan. Buy up front or use the Apple Card to split up payments.

Switch to MVNO if you can.

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
Everyone keeps referring to these promos as contracts except they aren’t, you are free to leave anytime. These promos are like a retention bonus. For example let’s say you’re considering a new job and they say “we pay a $1000 signing bonus and if you stay for 2 years we will pay an extra $5000 after 24 months of employment.” You are totally free to leave after 1 day on the job and pocket the $1000, but you can’t scream and complain that the company has cheated you by not paying the extra $5000 upfront. It’s the same with these bill credits, they’re a retention bonus. If you don’t want the retention bonus trade in to Apple and get a lower value.

LonestarOne

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2019
McKinney, TX
Verizon is locking you in with bill credits for 30 months and AT&T is going for 36 months!!! Both of them seem to have a payoff penalty for that last year.

I can handle a 2yr upgrade cycle but I can’t handle 3yrs. Anyone else in the same boat? What solutions have you come up with and what cost difference are you projecting vs taking the generous trade in deals and getting locked in?

I‘m thinking about skipping everything until the 24th and calling the retention department for a deal. i have an old iPhone unlimited plan and I’m about ready to give it up. But I could use that as my reason for not taking the promotions that are currently offered since they require you to loose that plan.
I’m on the Apple Upgrade plan. Buying your phone through a carrier is seldom as good a deal as it seems.

The old Apple unlimited plan is no longer a good deal. Get off it as soon as you can. I was shocked last year when I started shopping around and realized how much better the new plans are.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
I'm still amazed at the people that still do contracts. I quit doing that 15 yrs ago. I've been doing prepaid ever since. My phone bill with 5G and 4GB of data per month is $15 plus tax.

RotaryP7

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2011
Miami, FL
This is why I just paid off my device w/ T-Mobile and decided to go with Apple this year. The IUP is solid enough. I can decide to pay it off and keep it or keeping upgrading every year. Ngl, T-Mobile has something similar with "JUMP" but no thanks.

Rugburn

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
This isn't a 3 year contract. This is a promo. Read the fine print and do the math to determine if the deal is right for you. Not all customers are the same.

Here I ask. If you are against doing an offer with a monthly credit, how much are you paying for your new phone today? I doubt you are getting it with a $1000 discount. In my case, the best offer I have found is $460 for my 11Pro. That means if I traded it in and paid cash on the difference, the iPhone 13 Pro would cost me $539 today.

But since I accepted the $1000 credit over 3 years, I break even at 20 months when AT&T has given me $555 in credits for that phone.

Once I hit 20 months or more, I come out ahead... even if I choose to forfeit the remaining credits and buy a new phone. Even if that means my iPhone 13 wasn't really "free."

I might choose to splurge when iPhone 15 comes out, or I might choose to stay with my 13pro for all 36 months, ending with a "free" phone. My choice. Either way, I already come out ahead at 20 months compared to what is offered today in any other trade-in scenario. I'll take the bet that I will be satisfied with my new iPhone 13 pro for a minimum of 20 months.

That's how it works for me. I'm a trade-up every 2 years kind of customer. And the unlimited plan iI'm currently on is actually cheaper than the 15GB plan I used to make 5 people share. You and I are different types of customers. It might not be best offer *for you* if you are like my 22 yr old... a single person on a MVNO type plan. But it's the best offer *for me*.

Johnny Steps

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
Best thing is just buy your phone outright. The difference between walking into Apple and purchasing the phone versus all the paperwork needed to be signed through a carrier is significant. Those discounts are nice, and you’ve got to be sure you’re fine keeping the phone and remaining with that carrier for that long. I can’t go back to not just purchasing my phone outright from the beginning.

Chargr

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
I did 24 months for Iphone pro 13 128gb on Verizon. It defaults to 30months but you can change it. I had to cancel my order when I realized the long 30 months

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.