Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Would it be hard to create an App that shows a map, gets your current location and shows ATT&T data coverage? That would be so cool if you could find 3G on the Map and then drive there to use 3G. Is that way out of doable?

edrex

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2008
You would drive somewhere to get 3G?
Anyway, their maps are not really that accurate anyway. My house is miles from where the 3G coverage on the map ends and I get it here just fine.
What I would like to see though is a database of free WIFI access points mapped out and linked to your GPS locale. Is there anything like that out there right now?

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Would it be hard to create an App that shows a map, gets your current location and shows ATT&T data coverage? That would be so cool if you could find 3G on the Map and then drive there to use 3G. Is that way out of doable?

There's not really a way for that to work, considering coverage fluctuates depending on how many people are using one tower. If more people are using a tower then the coverage area shrinks, if less people use it it expands. So depending on the day the map may be out of date.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Unfortunately, we don't have 3G here yet, so I haven't even gotten to try it. It kinda sucks a little having a 3G compatible device without being able to try it out. I'm paying an extra $20 to have a 3G iPhone, so I wanted to at least try all the features.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.