Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tech198

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
I use a trick when trying to get old emil back from various services like Gmail as i always have a habit of deleting email from "Inbox" AND trash", then releasing i made a wrong move..

While i could probably login and get in via web browser to get it from "All mail" folder on (which keeps just about everything regardless), i tend to use a workaround Apple never plugs..

Generally i don't keep Mail app open on iOS unless i need to check (which is the 'key')

When using IMAP, and as soon as i've 'accidentally' deleted email on another device entirely, i immediately set iPhone to "Airplaine mode", before opening Mail app..
That way whats already cached, remains.. as it can't connect to server.. and usually Mail doesn't check Gmail until app is open anyway.

While that could be an Apple mail issue, as Google wants you do use their own app, its a quick way for me to retrieve old email. With cell service disabled it wouldn't matter on the duration to "check"

Similarly, if iPhone is off, but password is set, i switch on iPhone, unlock, but cancel to enter PIN... till i'm set.

Hope this helps some people. It sure has me number of times.

Reactions: jpn

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
I think you would be better served by simply being more vigilant about what email you're deleting, or setting the Deleted Messages destination as a folder instead of the Trash.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.