Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

purdnost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
If I’m ever having network issues, I can easily reboot my fiber network router from an app... but does it do any good to reboot the modem (not hard reset)?

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
i live in the US and have 1Gb fiber to the house, a Zytel all in one C2100Z fiber modem (updated its firmware this year)
i have a desktop OMT box (most are installed outside with a wall wort poper supply somewhere)
the OMT box and cable modem are on the outer relms of my home network WAN. So my network diagram is:
raw fiber to the house
desktop OMT box (a stupid appliance)
Zytel all in one model 2100z
firewall box
hp 18108G model J9802A 8 port router
old wifi box in AP or access point mode

My up time for the OMT and CableModem boxes has been fabolus. If i were to need a reset I would call the internet providor tec sup and have them do it. Otherwise I would turn off power in the modem than the OMT box. wait a few minuites. Assert power on the OMT. Wait a few. Power up the cable modem all in one box...

at my houe the outside fiber to the house construction is recent ~8Y old. Kinda odd tho; the outside fiber connection to my home OMT box runs continous to the telephone company office down the street. It is a continous length of fiber no routing. All the houses in my area have seperate fiber connections running seperate and directly to the telephone building. They get routed in the centeral office. So calling Cust Sup verifies what ever Fred Flinstone centeral office equipment there is gets a reset maybe too.

If your cable modem box continues to need resets you might address the settings of your providor's name, your account ID and password. Call tec support to verify these 3 settings inside your cable modem box match your account.

your internet providor will have a residential provisioning page indicating what cable modems work well. Zytel brand seems to be the default goto. Zytel has several models but only a few models really support my residental fios internet only account type. The Zytel 2000 level, not the latest, fully accomidates my bandwidth so I bought one off of craigslist / ebay for ~$30. This summer I spilled coffee in the all in one box and again bought a new 2100z. I updated the new all in one box firmware while i was at it.

I dont use the Zytel for routing or wifi but have another craigslist ebay $30n box, a HP router 18108G model J9802A. I was never able to turn the Zytel box in to full pass through mode (have its routing of). So maybe using the all in one box approach is better. Avoids a bad redundant level of routing but my home network speeds meet my needs currently.

as expected, every time I reset my Zytel i get a new WWW IP address for my account.
I would love to setup my Zytel in full pass through mode and avoide this 2nd level of routing but 2 bad thins are:
-if I put the zytel box into pass through mode i do not have a way to resolve my internet providor name, account id & password. It seems my fire wall box firmware does not have the capability to do this on its own.
-I burned up significant personal time trying to get my firewall box to talk to the Zytel box. In pass through mode the Zytel box wants to some times use my WWW internet addres (which is not static) to define its output. In none pass through mode it seems to defaults to 192.169.0.3 which the firewall box finds ok. The firewall box uses an open source effort which seems to have fallen on hard times and the last firmware update was 2 years ago.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.