Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eprepguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2009
Hi Everyone,
I have been beating my head against a wall with this one and have see that a few others here have as well.
I have beat all odds and acquired some pretty rare components to drive my Tango drum scanner but am up against a wall trying to get the install disc(s) for 10.2.7 for G5

I have the same issue as another poster had a few years back and hoping someone here can help me by letting me download a disc image of a very specific install disc for the
Power Macintosh G5 Dual 2Ghz (1st Generation 7,2 M9032LL/A (dual 2.0 GHz)

"Georgl" posted here some years back having the exact same issue for exact same need. I assume you were able to find a way, Georgl, so if you have the install disc(s) please get in touch! :)

Another poster here said he was able to find the disc image needed from a fellow poster here named "MagicBoy" I believe. So if you are out there, @MagicBoy, can you help me out here?

The software I wish to run my Tango drum scanner on is Newcolor 2.5 for Mac. It only works on 10.2.7 or 10.2.8. I am aware there are other ways to drive the scanner and I currently use an Intel 8-core Westmere running 10.6.8 and Silverfast for instance, but this is a specific need for a specific individual.
Also, the best mac recommended to run the PCI-X SCSI card APD 29160N is a 1st generation G5 such as the one I have here.
It originally shipped with 10.2.7 G5 install discs so I am desperately trying to find someone to give me a link to a disc image to this and hopefully the corresponding 10.2.8 G5 update image as well.

Thank you in advance for any help in this endeavor!

Eric
eric@eprepservices.com

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
Hi Everyone,
I have been beating my head against a wall with this one and have see that a few others here have as well.
I have beat all odds and acquired some pretty rare components to drive my Tango drum scanner but am up against a wall trying to get the install disc(s) for 10.2.7 for G5

I have the same issue as another poster had a few years back and hoping someone here can help me by letting me download a disc image of a very specific install disc for the
Power Macintosh G5 Dual 2Ghz (1st Generation 7,2 M9032LL/A (dual 2.0 GHz)

"Georgl" posted here some years back having the exact same issue for exact same need. I assume you were able to find a way, Georgl, so if you have the install disc(s) please get in touch! :)

Another poster here said he was able to find the disc image needed from a fellow poster here named "MagicBoy" I believe. So if you are out there, @MagicBoy, can you help me out here?

The software I wish to run my Tango drum scanner on is Newcolor 2.5 for Mac. It only works on 10.2.7 or 10.2.8. I am aware there are other ways to drive the scanner and I currently use an Intel 8-core Westmere running 10.6.8 and Silverfast for instance, but this is a specific need for a specific individual.
Also, the best mac recommended to run the PCI-X SCSI card APD 29160N is a 1st generation G5 such as the one I have here.
It originally shipped with 10.2.7 G5 install discs so I am desperately trying to find someone to give me a link to a disc image to this and hopefully the corresponding 10.2.8 G5 update image as well.

Thank you in advance for any help in this endeavor!

Eric
eric@eprepservices.com

Do you have another PPC Mac that you could use that's NOT a G5 that can accept and boot from Jaguar CDs? If so, then I have CD1 and CD2 on a .sit file that you could expand and then burn to a disc. I also have the 10.2.8 update.

This is the link to the place as well where quite a few .dmgs are located for OS X installation images.

eprepguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2009
Reporting for Duty! ;)

I'll get you a link when I'm home over the weekend.

Yay!! Thank you MagicBoy! Fingers Crossed!

e

Do you have another PPC Mac that you could use that's NOT a G5 that can accept and boot from Jaguar CDs? If so, then I have CD1 and CD2 on a .sit file that you could expand and then burn to a disc. I also have the 10.2.8 update.

This is the link to the place as well where quite a few .dmgs are located for OS X installation images.

Thank you, RedCroissant. Thank you for the link to those image files, Is one of those the specific "10.2.7 G5" install set? Or is that the original 10.2.7 install for G4?
I do have a G4 that could work for that purpose.I already have full version Jaguar 10.2 and a combo update 10.2.8 install discs, but have not tried that, as I did not know if that would work.
Does the 10.2.8 update install drivers for G5?
If so, then I could do a complete install thru 10.2.8 on the G4 onto a fresh HD then shut down, pull it, and install into the G5 and it may work?

e

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Thank you, RedCroissant. Thank you for the link to those image files, Is one of those the specific "10.2.7 G5" install set? Or is that the original 10.2.7 install for G4?
I do have a G4 that could work for that purpose.I already have full version Jaguar 10.2 and a combo update 10.2.8 install discs, but have not tried that, as I did not know if that would work.
If so, then I could do a complete install thru 10.2.8 on the G4 onto a fresh HD then shut down, pull it, and install into the G5 and it may work?

e
A universal install will install drivers for most machines. That will include your G5. You don't really need to do what you are suggesting though. If you go this route, it's very easy. Shut off the G5, hook up a Firewire cable from the G5 to the G4 and then put the G5 in Target Disk Mode by turning it on and holding down the T key.

The G5's drive will show up on the G4. All you need to do is boot the G4 from the Jag install disk and select the G5's hard drive for the install. When the install is done, you can then reboot the G5 and it will have Jag on it. Download the combo update for the version you want and update it on the G5.

Back in the day, this is how I got Panther from a G5 specific disk installed on two G4s.

Reactions: AphoticD

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
The G5's drive will show up on the G4. All you need to do is boot the G4 from the Jag install disk and select the G5's hard drive for the install. When the install is done, you can then reboot the G5 and it will have Jag on it. Download the combo update for the version you want and update it on the G5.

If the G5 needs 10.2.7 to boot, then you should update its hard drive installation to 10.2.8 via Firewire on the G4 before trying to boot it on the G5 natively.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
Yay!! Thank you MagicBoy! Fingers Crossed!

e

e
As Eyoungren said, the installs are universal and as long as you have another Mac, then it would be fairly straightforward. But it looks like MagicBoy has what you need so just use this method as a backup for the future.

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
There is a specific 10.2.8 update for the G5 which is a later build reference (6S90 vs 6R73). What the difference is, I'm unsure.

eprepguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2009
Bummer, MagicBoy, that did not work "the easy way" that we had hoped. Switching to plan B as outlined above using G4 and targeting G5

...efforting....;)

Unfortunately, having problems with the 1st G4 I am trying (fortunately I have 1 or 2 more in storage. I think that 1 of them a dual 450Mz that used to be my scanning machine was stored in perfect running condition. I tried a different one 1st and its not booting yet. Another problem has been locating an old VGA cable since I can't seem to find an old rounded DVI cable from back then...Santuary Now!!! ;)

...still efforting...

Last edited:
Reactions: eyoungren

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
you cant simply clone a 10.2.8 install from a G4 or such machine it has to be a specific G5 Build to boot on a PowerMac G5 (so you need the 10.2.7 G5 restore disk) some intel tiger disks are like this (im looking at you Macbook pro 3,1) in that you need to start off with the specific restore disk for that mac since even later combo updates may/will not have the drivers for said mac

eprepguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2009
you cant simply clone a 10.2.8 install from a G4 or such machine it has to be a specific G5 Build to boot on a PowerMac G5 (so you need the 10.2.7 G5 restore disk) some intel tiger disks are like this (im looking at you Macbook pro 3,1) in that you need to start off with the specific restore disk for that mac since even later combo updates may/will not have the drivers for said mac

Great! Anyone out there have such? This is a tough one, isn't it? I know that Apple delivered this machine with 10.2.7 install discs. It must be true, I read it on the internet!! ;)
In any case, still doing my regular job, and hope to get back to this problem sometime later today with a "working" G4.
Confidence is low....depression setting in... :( ...still efforting

I did find a guy who knows a guy in Germany who is running same model G5 and 10.2.8. I have asked him to clone his boot drive and image it and send it to me. (or I may have insulted him, not really sure, my German es muy mal) In any case, I appreciate any and all help from everyone, so thanks and please keep it coming
Best

e

eprepguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2009
You have the disc you require. ;)

That may be, MagicBoy, but my G5 goes thru all the motions of install with it, and on restart it keeps booting off its regular 10.5.8 internal hard drive. I have tried holding down C key and option key but neither gives me the option to boot off the install disc as needed. I checked the MD5 and it did return a number so not corrupt.
I guess its possible that my G5 Dual 2Ghz is not the correct model to boot into 10.2.7, but it does say its a 7,2 and I looked up its serial number and it is a 1st gen G5 M9032LL/A (dual 2.0 GHz); but maybe I need to re-check that

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
I can say one thing the DVD and the OS it installs will quite happily run from a 2004 PowerMac 7,3 the only issues is 1 you have to fake your model id for the dvd to install and secondly theres no fan control so fans ramp to max (but you cant run 10.2.8 from an early 2005 7,3) if you do indeed Have a Power Mac 7,2 then it will install and run fine... if its not then its something wrong on your end have you tried imaging the ISO to Firewire storage device and booting from that?

eprepguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2009
headsh0t95: I checked pretty thoroughly with ultimate mac lookup on everymac.com, but am going to do a more thorough check again today just to be sure. The Mac is definitely 7,2 because thats easily shown in the about this mac finder window.

LightBulbFun: I will try that today. I also just thought of something I remember from "back in the day" that maybe I need to flash the PROM. I think when it was updated to 10.5.8 that its on now, that may have updated settings in firmware and/or PROM...so both will be tried today. Thanks for the advice, I'll let you know!

Also, from my Tango user's forum: "Others have been able to make this work on 10.3.x by migrating a few files in a backwards direction from 10.2.8."
-but he didn't elaborate on exactly which files need to be migrated, and I am having considerable difficulty getting G4's running for some reason. They have been sitting in storage for quite some time, but that shouldn't have affected them...

eprepguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2009
I downloaded the iso at home on my 2013 MacBookAir running 10.10.5 (Yosemite). I then transferred the iso from local downloads folder to usb3 thumb drive and took into work with me. I then transferred the iso to my main workstation, a 2012 3.33Ghz 6-Core Mac Pro running 10.10.5 (Yosemite).
I then used disc utility on my main workstation to burn image to dvd and it did so successfully.
I then took the DVD made by burning the iso downloaded from MagicBoy and inserted into the G5. It popped up on desktop just fine and I double clicked the install button and it asked me to restart from dvd to install OS X . I clicked OK and it restarted, flashing question mark for a brief second then and proceeded booted up off its regular hard drive again into 10.5.8 with the Jaguar DVD back on the desktop...mocking me ;)

"Alt"??? This is a Mac. Do you mean "Option"?
I tried doing this several times with "c" key held down and "option" key held down but no change in boot up.
"Option" key held down did bring up the option of only the internal hard drive "Macintosh HD" to boot from
so back to square one...

e

iModFrenzy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2015
Kamino
my bad, option, I assumed it had alt labeled on the key like my MacBook.

Also, when I was burning OS X discs for the first time. I ended up burning the ISO itself to the disc. All the files were accessible and usable but when it came time to boot off it. It didn't work. Did you burn the files like this? For example, selecting the inside of the disk "Mac OS X Install DVD"

ZxigDhy.png

You could try restoring the image to a usb stick and boot from that on your G5. G5's should boot from them, correct me if I am wrong.

eprepguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2009
Screen Shot 2016-01-23 at 10.07.23 AM.png

Checked every identifier and this G5 is definitely the correct one. It is 7,2 1st gen G5, M9032LL/A, (dual 2.0 GHz) (see above attached
Finally got one of my G4's to boot (a dual 500Mhz) and it can install standard issue Jaguar to a connected Firewire drive and is doing so now
It can not however do an install from MagicBoy's Jaguar install for G5 (says "Can NOT install with this Computer") but it can boot to it so I got that going for me (which is nice :)

My hope now is to be able to install regular Jaguar onto a attached firewire drive, boot from that and update to MagicBoy's disc and then put that on the G5 and see...stay tuned! :)
[doublepost=1453577212][/doublepost]
I can say one thing the DVD and the OS it installs will quite happily run from a 2004 PowerMac 7,3 the only issues is 1 you have to fake your model id for the dvd to install and secondly theres no fan control so fans ramp to max (but you cant run 10.2.8 from an early 2005 7,3) if you do indeed Have a Power Mac 7,2 then it will install and run fine... if its not then its something wrong on your end have you tried imaging the ISO to Firewire storage device and booting from that?

LightBulbFun: I will try imaging the install iso (from MagicBoy) to the connected Firewire and see if that works as well

eprepguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2009
You could try restoring the image to a usb stick and boot from that on your G5. G5's should boot from them, correct me if I am wrong.

Hi iModFrenzy, it is my understanding that the pre-Intel macs were not capable of booting from USB. I know they were bootable from Firewire because I used to do that routinely.
So, what I am trying with an attached Firewire drive or what LightBulbFun suggests may work.
The subject got me to thinking about how certain discs are formatted now (Mac OS Extended..Journaled..etc.) vs how they were formatted back then (I think just HFS or HFS+) and that may be why it (G5) keeps kicking out the install disc...

Still Efforting...in and amongst regular weekend chores...:)

e

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.