Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

weezin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
My brother is looking to buy a 15" Macbook pro in the near future. He's a musician on the side and is looking for a laptop that will primarily run Logic well for the foreseeable future and serve as his daily machine. He has a few USB audio peripherals that he'd like to use. Size/weight are not that important to him. Aside from using Logic, he does the basic things (Youtube, Spotify, email, browsing, etc).

The dilemma is whether to buy the current version Pro (base) or the older version Pro (which Apple still sells).

New version:
+More forwards compatibility (ports)
+Touchbar might be handy
+Faster?
-Keyboard sucks (personal experience)
-More expensive
-Would need adapters for his existing peripherals

Old version:
+Great keyboard
+Good selection of ports for things he already has
+Cheaper
-Old port selection
-Marginally slower?

What specs are important for running Logic? Are the base models of each good enough for the foreseeable future? I tend to think so. I'm worried about the lack of USB-C ports on the older model and what that means for future compatibility.

What would you go for and why?

Nbd1790

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2017
New York
My brother is looking to buy a 15" Macbook pro in the near future. He's a musician on the side and is looking for a laptop that will primarily run Logic well for the foreseeable future and serve as his daily machine. He has a few USB audio peripherals that he'd like to use. Size/weight are not that important to him. Aside from using Logic, he does the basic things (Youtube, Spotify, email, browsing, etc).

The dilemma is whether to buy the current version Pro (base) or the older version Pro (which Apple still sells).

New version:
+Touchbar might be handy
+Faster?
-More expensive

Old version:
+Great keyboard
+Cheaper
-Old port selection
-Marginally slower?

What specs are important for running Logic? Are the base models of each good enough for the foreseeable future? I tend to think so. I'm worried about the lack of USB-C ports on the older model and what that means for future compatibility.

You seem to have all of the main points outlined - the decision will ultimately be whatever your brother is more comfortable with.

Owning both the older Retina (2013) and newer 2016 model, I'd have to recommend the 2015 model. I use it for the same thing your brother does (Logic and Ableton) and saw little to no improvement in performance.

There was a thread recently this week basically asking the same question you are. Check it out

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/best-mbp-for-music-production.2116048/

smallcoffee

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2014
North America

New version:
+Touchbar might be handy
+Faster?
-More expensive

Old version:
+Great keyboard
+Cheaper
-Old port selection
-Marginally slower?

What's the budget? Can he wait until June for WWDC?

The keyboard on the new machine is definitely better than the 2015 style (I use both daily). If you don't own or haven't owned a 2016/2017 I don't really think you can have a solid opinion on the matter.

The peripherals situation is always kind of a bummer at first, but in the future you'll just buy USB-C devices. Buying an old-style machine (with old components) means that when you buy new external hardware you'll have to buy a USB-C to USB-A adapter to plug into the old MacBook Pro. Might as well bite the bullet now. How often do you use all of the ports on the 2015? HDMI is very specific, and the only ones I'd say even have value are the USB-A ports. But for how long?

He could probably customize the Touch Bar to increase his workflow, but I personally wouldn't factor the Touch Bar itself into any purchase decision.

weezin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
You seem to have all of the main points outlined - the decision will ultimately be whatever your brother is more comfortable with.

Owning both the older Retina (2013) and newer 2016 model, I'd have to recommend the 2015 model. I use it for the same thing your brother does (Logic and Ableton) and saw little to no improvement in performance.

There was a thread recently this week basically asking the same question you are. Check it out

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/best-mbp-for-music-production.2116048/

Thanks! Yes, personal decision for sure. And that's what I get for not searching! I'll check that thread.

What's the budget? Can he wait until June for WWDC?

The keyboard on the new machine is definitely better than the 2015 style (I use both daily). If you don't own or haven't owned a 2016/2017 I don't really think you can have a solid opinion on the matter.

The peripherals situation is always kind of a bummer at first, but in the future you'll just buy USB-C devices. Buying an old-style machine (with old components) means that when you buy new external hardware you'll have to buy a USB-C to USB-A adapter to plug into the old MacBook Pro. Might as well bite the bullet now. How often do you use all of the ports on the 2015? HDMI is very specific, and the only ones I'd say even have value are the USB-A ports. But for how long?

He could probably customize the Touch Bar to increase his workflow, but I personally wouldn't factor the Touch Bar itself into any purchase decision.

He can afford either, but spending less is always better. He can potentially wait until June.

The 2015 keyboard is roughly the same one that they've been using forever, correct? If so, I love that keyboard and my brother does too. I can't stand the keyboard feel on the newer models (I have used a newer Macbook Pro with the new keyboard quite a bit). Personal preference.

I can see him using HDMI, but I understand about biting the bullet now. That one's tough.

The touch bar is intriguing to me for him, but he would likely not customize it for his use and only use it how it comes.

Thanks!

Nbd1790

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2017
New York
Waiting until June is probably the best bet. Pending how drastic the improvements are (better keyboards and potentially including the i9 Processor) I may just get rid of my 2016 and move on to something that should show a drastic improvement in terms of performance (theoretically at least)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.