Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2A Batterie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
Out of a Suitcase, USA
I'm currently using a Viewsonic A90 CRT display, and I surely can feel my eyes getting tired during use. Some days after I work at my computer for an hour or two, my eyes have a hard time focusing afterwards. I use my computer mainly for music production, and therefore am not too particular about color accuracy, etc. I'm just looking for the cheapest 19" lcd display that will be easy on my eyes. Any suggestions?

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
2A Batterie said:
I'm currently using a Viewsonic A90 CRT display, and I surely can feel my eyes getting tired during use. Some days after I work at my computer for an hour or two, my eyes have a hard time focusing afterwards. I use my computer mainly for music production, and therefore am not too particular about color accuracy, etc. I'm just looking for the cheapest 19" lcd display that will be easy on my eyes. Any suggestions?
For starters, check the Monitors System Preference and see what your refresh rate is on that CRT. It should be set to 72 or 75 Hz. Any lower and you may be suffering from flicker effects from your room lighting.

Second, you could consider investing $40 at a local TV repair shop to see if the focus and contast on the CRT can be improved through adjustment.

shdwsclan

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2005
That is very true, most human bionic imaging units(eyes) have an average refresh rate of 70hz. This varies from dna to dna. LCDs have refresh rates of about 75hz. If you really need a nice CRT there is a Sony Trinatron that has a maximum refresh rate of 200hz but runs about $1500....

You may also try to turn down the brightness of your screen( after you have verified that its running at least 75HZ)

ninepoundjammer

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2006
saw this deal

Just the other day I was in OfficeMax and they had a 19" ViewSonic LCD with DVI input for $279 after rebates (of course, I'm still waiting on my Samsung rebates???). That's the best deal I've seen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.