Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Erasmus®

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2006
Hello!
I'm a mac newbie and I need some help to shape my keyboard: I have italian keys but I write quite often in german, I heared I can assign special keys to special caracteres. I need to configure some shortcut keys which possibly work on every file (when I write in word, when I write here on the forum, when I write a new email with mail ... ). The cracaters I need to assign are: üöä.
Can anyone help me? Thanks!

SpankyPenzaanz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2006
Hello!
I'm a mac newbie and I need some help to shape my keyboard: I have italian keys but I write quite often in german, I heared I can assign special keys to special caracteres. I need to configure some shortcut keys which possibly work on every file (when I write in word, when I write here on the forum, when I write a new email with mail ... ). The cracaters I need to assign are: üöä.
Can anyone help me? Thanks!

Don't hold me to this but I believe this done through the 'International' Prefrences Pane in the Sys Prefs. and then Input Menu

Erasmus®

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2006
Right, first thanks a lot for the help.
Unfortunately, I cannot try out what you said because I had to bring the mac to the assistance because of a stupid buzz of the screen. Anyhow, I will a soon as it comes back (around Monday if I'm lucky) and tell you for sure.
Thanks again! ciao

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
what exactly does a "buzz of the screen" mean?

I presume this person is not a native speaker of English... and I'm going to venture the guess that he/she is talking about the faulty inverters that create a humming sound. Since the inverter is there for the LCD assembly, it's actually a correct attribution, I think?

Erasmus®

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2006
Sorry Mates!

I'm fact you were right mkrishnan: I'm not native speaker of English, I'm Italian. But I like English and study hard :D
With "buzz of the screen" I mean a "hum" (I found this term in a dictionary. In fact, the sound I want to describe is quite similar to the one wasps do). The disturbing noise came out whenever I turned the screen illumination down. When this one reached about 50% the noise was quite pesky.
The technical statement you just did is very interesting. I must say one year ago I had the same problem with my old pc laptop. After one month I bought it, the same noise came out when I reduced the screen illumination. On the same time, the screen got very hot on his down-central part, where there is the logo. I sent it to the assistance and they sent it back after a week, writing they replaced something called "lcd inverter" but guess... the laptop wasn't working yet! the bad noise was still there. This morning I asked the technician about this on my mbp and he said something should be wrong with the "logic card" or "logic board". Anyone has any idea?
Thanks a lot for your help, it is truly appreciated!

Erasmus®

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2006
ok

Ok, wkipedia is my friend, I found out what a logic board is. Quite funny as apple always finds alternative names for his stuff, isn't it? Anyhow, do you think the logic board is involved here?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I think actually the inverter is not on the logic board.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/244560/

Or better yet, look at this:

http://www.macintouch.com/readerreports/macbookpro/topic4057.html

And search within the text of the page for the word "inverter." The inverter is a device from what I understand, that provides alternating current (AC) power to the backlight, because the backlight runs on AC while the rest of the laptop runs on Direct Current (DC). It's a strange thing, but what happens is that the electrical power from the wall is AC, but must be converted to DC for most of the electronics in the Mac. Then since the backlight is an AC device, it must be converted back. That's my understanding at least....

In any event, it's a defect, and Apple will fix it for you. Hope you can get back to enjoying your baby very, very soon. :)

Erasmus®

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2006
Hope you can get back to enjoying your baby very, very soon. :)

Thanks a lot for the understanding mate. And for signaling those threads. In fact, this is my first experience with apple and I must say MAC OS changed my life into a better one ;)
Take care

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.