Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WannaApple?

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
I was using SplashID but didnt like the fact that I couldnt use it on my desktop and subsequently, due to a screw up with a backup yesterday, I lost all my data in that app.

Is there another password app that also has a desktop version that I can sync my phone with? I'd like to have that backup reassurance within a desktop program as well just in case. Thanks!

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
I prefer eWallet as it keeps all of my passwords on MY computer with sync and not in the hands of unknown people and syncing possibly over unsecure internet using wifi. Just my preference and caution when it comes to accounts and passwords.

Good Luck

mpshay

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2008
Florida
just bought the family versions (5 computers I think) and also installed the ipone app. Pretty happy with it !

beate

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007
I've used 1Password since it's release on the Mac. Love that program.

It's on my phone also and the sync works great. I believe the desktop version only supports Mac at this time...

I also decided to try eWallet when it was on sale. I love the look and organization ability. Only syncs with Windows desktop at this time...

If considering one of these, get the one that supports the OS that you use most. As you'll be paying for a desktop version also, you may as well use it to it's full extent. I haven't typed in a log-in or password on a site for a long time - nor a credit card, nor personal information. 1Password does all that for me.

I'm sure there must be others that do a decent job of syncing but none that are as comprehensive in protecting your information while using a browser.

Oh yeah, 1Password will sync with their site if you are a Windows user but entry would then be laborious on the iPhone. I wouldn't suggest it. I've done all entry on the desktop for both programs. Site log-in are saved the 1st time you type them in and activate the program & save feature so you don't have to type the urls. Setting up the info on the phone would require the extra typing...

elbirth

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
North Carolina, US
Definitely get 1Password, it's great. And if you own a Mac, it's absolutely worth the money. I use it every single day.

I prefer eWallet as it keeps all of my passwords on MY computer with sync and not in the hands of unknown people and syncing possibly over unsecure internet using wifi. Just my preference and caution when it comes to accounts and passwords.

Good Luck

Not sure if you were referencing 1Password or not, but it doesn't keep your passwords on their server and it doesn't sync over the Internet. If you have the 1Password desktop app it syncs over your local wifi connection, but it doesn't touch the internet and it requires pairing to your computer so it's not like it's just freely flowing around. It's actually an incredible app and worth using before you spread mis-truths about it.

beate

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007
^

Actually, SFC Archer was partly correct.

1Password does have a sync to their website option. You don't have to use it but could come in handy if you were a Windows user as there is no desktop version for the platform (as of yet). Also, one might want to backup somewhere other than their desktop...

I consider this an advantage to the program rather than a disadvantage...options!!!

Yes - worth the money IMO. Possibly the only purchased program on my Mac that I could not live without.

If Mac, get 1Password - If PC, get eWallet. Both great on the desktop & on the phone. Both sync easily.

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
elbirth...I was referring to 1Password, for Windows users only. My mistake for not being more accurate. The only way windows users can use is online and not anything against the company but I just don't want all of my accounts and passwords in someone else's server. Windows users had no other option.

eWallet stays on my desktop and does not go anywhere. Again, beate is correct, there is no Mac version which is self explanatory.

My apologies to all for not being more specific in my first post, usually, I am more detailed.

Please follow beate's advise...Mac=1Password; PC=eWallet for the best Password/Account/Email storage Apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.