Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MasterRex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
Fort Pierce
Well, I aim to get my Powerbook back in working order shortly, but for the time being, I need to find the BEST performing Mac I can afford..

I am selling my PC (Gaming PC... Will post in the Market Place later in life, if it isn't sold by then.) and trying to get somewhat of an equivelant (needs to be able to dual boot windows, as I will have MMO needs OTHER than WoW.). I was looking through the Apple Store... and I just can't come to a good conclusion. It seems that the PowerMac's are simply overpriced, and don't have a decent ~$1500 'value' option... the MacBook isn't powerful enough, and I can't expand the graphic capabilities of the MacMini. I was looking at iMacs, but I failed to see if they were running on x86 architecture yet or not.

Anyway, I need the 'equivelant' (or something nearly as powerful in a Macintosh sense.) of this -

Athlon64 3700+ SanDiego Core @ 2.8GHz
1GB DDR400 OCZ Gold VX 2-2-2-4
Saphire x1800XT 512MB
160GB WD 7200.8
ECS KA1 MVP Crossfire
Acer Ferrari 20" LCD (F20)

Sadly, the iMac(PPC G4 1Ghz?) in my Design Portfolio class compiles video faster. Photoshop is noticably more responsive, and I just can't take it anymore. I have a 333MHz Lombard.. but really, that isn't going to be much help. ;[

The only gaming desires I will have for the Dual Booting solution... pretty much boil down to Guild Wars, Maple Story, and Steam-Apps, such as Counter Strike: Source and Half Life 2.

I really don't mind USED or REFURB machines, either, I just can't seem to find a decent deal anywhere, and OI do I really need a Mac right now. (College courses demand it, I can't eek by with the video compilation time my PC is spitting at me.(Hours compared to an hour, etc.)

I guess the best thing to do would be keep the LCD.. as it was a $500 20" LCD, which really helps when editing large images.

All opinions/input are welcome. :)
Thanks! -Rex

baleensavage

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
On an island in Maine
If you don't need the Windows booting capabilities, you can get a PowerMac G5 on the used market for pretty cheap. They start around $1000 (1.6ghz model), and you may even be able to get one on eBay for cheaper. Of course the new iMacs looks pretty nice and you could use that monitor you have for a second monitor. Unless you need expandability, that may be the best bang for your buck.

MasterRex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
Fort Pierce
!!!! I think I might have found my own solution!

The 20" iMac seems PERFECT for my needs. Yes, running a Conroe cpu, decent graphics chipset (although it is a HUGE downgrade.) and keeps the same LCD size!

The question....

How does it perform?

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
MasterRex said:

The 20" iMac seems PERFECT for my needs. Yes, running a Conroe cpu, decent graphics chipset (although it is a HUGE downgrade.) and keeps the same LCD size!

The question....

How does it perform?

Its a merom by the way...

It performs quite well, to play the games you said you honestly don't need anymore, the machine will play them quite well, apart from that, the Core 2 Duo on it is very good, its still a laptop chip but the only difference with Conroe is FSB speed (which is significant enough), still its good and definitely an upgrade (graphics aside) over your old PC, plus you get the benefits of OS X without losing WinXP, I think a 20" iMac will do you quite well.

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
MasterRex said:

The question....

How does it perform?

It performs quite well, to play the games you said you honestly don't need anymore, the machine will play them quite well, apart from that, the Core 2 Duo on it is very good, its still a laptop chip but the only difference with Conroe is FSB speed (which is significant enough), still its good and definitely an upgrade (graphics aside) over your old PC, plus you get the benefits of OS X without losing WinXP, I think a 20" iMac will do you quite well but for an extra 500$ a Mac Pro might be a better investment, still the iMac is a good purchase.

Finnxeon

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2006
Vermont
MasterRex said:
I was looking at iMacs, but I failed to see if they were running on x86 architecture yet or not.

just in case it isn't already clear......they definately are.....and have been for months:D

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Chone said:

It performs quite well, to play the games you said you honestly don't need anymore

Trouble comes with games coming out in 6 months' time, then... "With my PC I have to open up my computer, fiddle with jumpers and stuff, insert the new graphics card, just to do an upgrade. With my Mac I just pick up the whole computer, throw it away in the trash, and get a new one. How convenient is that?"

I'd recommend the OP to get a Mini instead to soak in the Macintosh experience, and use his PC for his games. You can't afford to game on a Mac, the only realistic way to do it is to be a "PRO GAMER" and own a Mac Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.