Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Waluigi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 29, 2003
Connecticut
I listen to a lot of AM radio, but my favorite shows are on when I'm working. I've seen a few products like the YourWay AM/FM Radio Recorder, that allow you to record AM radio then transfer it to your computer via USB. The problem with that is it has lousy quality, and only 32MB of space, which is not enough for me. Is there any better product out there that allows me to record a lot of very high quality AM radio, and transfer it to my computer (mac or pc)?

--Waluigi

slightly

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2003
Beacon, NY
If your radio station has an internet broadcast, you could use Audio Hijack to record it.

Alternatively, you could run a line from your stereo to your mic input, tell Hijack to listen to that input, and to record at a certain time. Bingo, you can come home and listen to the radio programme you missed. It's like Tivo for your radio.

Matt

DreaminDirector

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2002
Ladera Ranch, CA
I'm going to also agree with Slightly. Audio HiJack is a great little app and it can record any sound that you computer makes.

As for Griffin's RadioShark, that looks like a kick ass product. I have to admit that Griffin is really on the forefront of innovation with all of their iPod accessories and cool new products like the RadioShark.

rxstress

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2003
another vote for audio hijack. hopefully you have a tuner near your computer though.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
wait for the radioshark. griffin is one of the best 3rd party companies out there... they have produced some stunning designs that became instant classics. They have an attention to detail that is surpassed by only Apple. I've (obviously) not used the radioshark yet, but since griffin makes them, i'll bet it works as flawlessly as possible.

pnw

BrandonRP0123

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2003
San Francisco, CA
While you can't set it to record at a specific time - your line in on yer power mac (or your iMic if your mac isn't equipped), and final vinyl (little griffin app that records from the line in for cassettes and vinyl) works perfectly. I've recorded cassette, radio, vinyl..and don't laugh - 8 track with it.

To shed some light on that 8 track thing - it was a favor for a friend that wanted to dump his 8 track and all the cartridges.

The final vinyl can't be set to record at specific times, but can be called from the terminal with a different switches to have it start recording on startup. a little crontab (for the unix savvy) or an apple script might get you what you want (right now versus waiting for the shark)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.