Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trqy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2005
Hi folks,

I'll be short, i need a Mac basicly for Logic Pro (audio production app). I'm an experienced PC user, currently i'm on a P4 2.2ghz 512mbRAM M-Audio FW Solo PC and very nice performance with Cubase SX2, Sonar4, Reason3. But i'd decided to switch to Logic Pro so i need a Mac for it. Basicly my budget's up to (with) iMacs. I've no idea better to go for the laptop or desktop line. If the laptop line can suit me that'd be my first choice cause i'll have lots of work between home and the conservatory. Here's the Logic's minimum requirements;

* Macintosh computer with PowerPC G4 or faster processor (G5 or dual G4 processors recommended)
* PowerPC G5 and Gigabit Ethernet connectivity for Logic Node applications (note: i don't need that connectivity)
* Mac OS X v10.3 or later
* 512 MB of RAM
* DVD drive for software installation
* Available USB port for XSKey (copy protection)
* Low-latency multi-I/O audio hardware and MIDI interface recommended (note: i have it already)
* 4GB of available hard drive space

I'd experienced the same rule all the time; don't look for the min reqs, ask for experience.

Thanks..

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
Logic will run well on all the current iMac and PowerBook models, it's not bad on the iBook either, but it really does depend on what kind of music you plan on producing.

If you intend to run masses of software instruments or bags of 24-bit audio tracks with different reverbs on each sound, then you'll need as m uch grunt as you can get and I'd suggest a 2Ghz iMac with at least 2Gb of RAM.

If your using this as a composition station to feed the PC set-up then a PowerBook might well do the trick.

Undoubtedly the PowerMac DP G5's are the way to go if you need raw grunt, but Logic Pro will run happily on a 1Ghz PowerBook.

You'll need an FW800 external drive as well, especially if you're running a lot of audio.

trqy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2005
Hi,

..but it really does depend on what kind of music you plan on producing.

Well, i need it for all the way.. I'll not continue with the PC, i'm talking about a total switch. I do everything from basic pop songwriting to 50+ audio 10+VST with effects average of 5 within each (like soundtracks, classical arrangements etc). I need to know if PB can handle those cpu hungry operations. If so which one? Mobility is really important for me.

I may go for a desktop+mobile setup if the PB doesn't handle all the things. The question is do i really need to go for?

As i told you before, i can do all the things with my current PC setup. Well sometimes can't get enough but i believe it is because of the buggy operating system (XP). I get ~90% cpu usage and 8,7ms latency with 88.2khz&24bit.

One more thing, is it such a big difference between;

* 1.8 and 2.0 G5
* 1.42 G4(iBook) and 1.5 G4(PowerBook)

in real world?

(Note: Sorry posting the thread to the wrong place)

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
There is a huge difference between the iBook and Powerbook G4's and the iMac and PowerMac G5's when it comes to processor speed and ability to run many tracks and effects. Secondarily, the hard drives and memory systems are faster on the G5's, and they are more upgradeable.

Given your ambitions, go with the G5 solution.

You may also want to experiment with 24/48 recording to see if it makes an appreciable difference in final quality (given that a CD will reduce it to 16/44.1 anyway).

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
the ruins of the Cherokee nation
I would look into buying a used PB (in the $1000 price range) for mobile recording and getting the Dual 2Ghz G5 PM, and just use your old monitor for the PM. It probably is more money than you wanted to spend, but i can tell you that the PB in my sig will not handle a ton of plugins on multiple audio simultaneously. I can record 8 tracks simultaneously with reverb on each fairly easy. My PB can also handle Cubase running with Max/MSP on as well, and doing some very intense things, but then again, i wrote the Max/MSP patches with the limitations of my PB in mind.

Regardless of what you buy you will want to have at least 1gig of ram.

IxisMG

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2004
Philadelphia
Get the fastest G5 "tower" you can afford... this one's a no-brainer. If you're going to be streaming multi-track audio to and from your hard drive for extended periods of time, you're goin to need the coolest, most efficient system you can get... and that's a G5 tower. I could go on and on about the many other technical reasons why this is your best option but trust me... and if you have any specific questions about hardware/software/computer audio systems/set-up recommendations, and you want a str8 answer from a seasoned professional, just ask.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.