Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ProQuiz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2009
I got an iPhone 14 Pro on April 25, 2023. The return/exchange window ends tomorrow. It's been in the Apple leather case since day 1. Recently, I've noticed that there is a 2 mm hairline crack or similar right at the edge of the screen at the top right hand side. Can be seen the right conditions/light. I've also noticed that the Lightning port appears to have a chip in the paint on the left side. Not around the port, but towards the inside of the port.

I wanted to know if this stuff worth getting a replacement for? Are iPhones really this delicate or do I just have a "bad" sample? Even if I do get a replacement, is it likely it could also develop such "abnormalities"?

Apple_Tiger

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2023
You should check in with apple. Since its just a hairline crack with no physical damage around it im sure they might be okay with getting it replaced. If its warranty they will just replace the screen. Since you are still within the return window. It wont hurt to ask.

As for lightning port area, are you forcing it in or gently? It may depend as new one could have similar issues but chances are slim.

Id say if you do get a new one id just open it in stores and check before you walk out the door.

ProQuiz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2009
I am very careful with the phone and handle it very gently.

I bought the phone through the online Apple Store and can initiate the exchange online (no questions asked). Courier will come collect it and they will send a new one. Think I should do it?

ProQuiz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2009
By the way, the hairline crack is along the border of the screen, not on the "viewable" part of the screen.

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
If you think the device has flaws and want that rectified, return it, then buy it again. There is no point in waiting beyond the exchange window, because then you have to go through Apple's warranty process. And that means in the worst case scenario the warranty terms allow that your phone be replaced with a refurbished unit. And even if you get yours back repaired, I would not want a repair done on a brand new device, that is ridiculous, especially for an expensive flagship phone. With the return you get a new return window and the warranty starts fresh too.

The express replacement option under warranty is for a refurbished unit, by the way.

If you can initiate an exchange online no questions asked, and they send a new unit, that would work as well. I don't know if the warranty start date gets adjusted, but at least an exchange sounds like less of a hassle than returning and ordering again.

ProQuiz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2009
Have a look at the screenshot. Just to confirm, if I do use this and initiate a replacement, it will be a brand new unit and not refurbished, correct?

Attachments

• iPhone.JPG
    iPhone.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 122

Apple_Tiger

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2023
Have a look at the screenshot. Just to confirm, if I do use this and initiate a replacement, it will be a brand new unit and not refurbished, correct?
yea it will be brand new. Im surprised there is that option because i didnt have that option when i tried to return. It will be brand new

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
Yes that's a brand new one. I am also surprised and haven't seen it before, I always chose return and then immediately placed a new order. I guess there won't be any difference then.

ProQuiz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2009
Okay, I think I'm just going to keep it. These are very minor imperfections that can only been seen if you know they are there. Saves me the trouble of backing everything up and reinstalling it on the replacement.

bobthebuilderissus

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2022
I got an iPhone 14 Pro on April 25, 2023. The return/exchange window ends tomorrow. It's been in the Apple leather case since day 1. Recently, I've noticed that there is a 2 mm hairline crack or similar right at the edge of the screen at the top right hand side. Can be seen the right conditions/light. I've also noticed that the Lightning port appears to have a chip in the paint on the left side. Not around the port, but towards the inside of the port.

I wanted to know if this stuff worth getting a replacement for? Are iPhones really this delicate or do I just have a "bad" sample? Even if I do get a replacement, is it likely it could also develop such "abnormalities"?
maybe a bad sample, but i do know manual laborers usually have their phones deteriorate faster than most. so if you are in construction and stuff like that, it might just be that 🤷‍♀️ my dad is an electrician, and his screen bezel on his black iphone 11 is completely sliver now! but if it appeared out of nowhere, and you don't work in manual labor, it might just be a defect, but you might want to go to a repair shop, or a apple store to get second opinion, as i can't see the iphone, lol

nathan_reilly

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2016
this may not be a popular opinion here but the odds of you getting a faulty lightening port and a faulty screen on the same phone? I'm going with the odds that you're just not *quite* as careful with it as you think. So my bet is that small stuff will happen to your replacement too, if you go that route. So long as its cosmetic and you use a case (and a screen protector?.) For what its worth, i'm a bit confused by what you said about paint chipping in the lightening port...is this a stainless steel band or an anodized aluminum one?

ProQuiz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2009
Well, I'm keeping it as it is.

What's the best way to clean the phone (in a way that I don't harm the paint, screen, etc.)?

nathan_reilly

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2016
I use a damp microfiber cloth...just water and if a spot is persistent, elbow grease (but never much). I don't use any chemical at all, just keep the microfiber clean af.

nathan_reilly

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2016
Also to keep the lightening port clean I use sharp wooden tooth picks (very gently) to loosen lint and a handheld bulb blower to blast it out safely.

ProQuiz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2009
What's the best way to clean a microfiber cloth? Can you put it in the washing machine? If yes, can you put it in with other items/clothes or should you wash it on its own?

Edit: Found out you can machine wash it separately or with other microfiber cloths without using detergent. Or, preferably, you can hand wash it with just water and let it air dry.

Last edited:

SciFiBrony

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2020
I wouldn't be so worried about the lightning port unless you're noticing issues syncing or charging. I PERSONALLY might be concerned about the screen crack potentially growing over time.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
Just return it, but do an introspection on what may have caused those hairline cracks. I wouldn’t risk with cracks in screen. I have 13 PM for couple of years. I travel, on the road and take the phone to sauna and steam room, the phone is very good with out scratches or imperfections.

Last edited:

ProQuiz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2009
I am not 100% sure it is actually a crack. It could be a chip or just a scratch as well. It is right along the edge/border of screen glass (not within the viewable part of the screen). I originally thought it was on the bezel. I'll see if I can post a picture tomorrow. It is extremely small (around 2 mm) and can only be seen at the right angle and the right lighting conditions.

ProQuiz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2009
Here is a picture of the hairline crack, chip, or scratch on the screen. Picture taken with my iPhone 6s. Not sure if it is any good.

Attachments

• IMG_0197.JPG
    IMG_0197.JPG
    317.8 KB · Views: 137

onenorth

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2021
I kind of think you should exchange it. I am also careful with my phone and I don't have these defects, and I plug in the Lightning cable every day to charge it. Mine is gold 14 Pro. I hear some of the colors are prone to scratches and chips.

ProQuiz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2009
Actually, I think I know what could have caused the screen crack/chip/scratch as seen in the above picture. Earlier today I was wiping away some dust on the screen with a soft tissue as I didn't have any other cloth available at the time. That probably caused this. If that did cause this, then this is most likely a scratch and not a crack, correct?

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
Actually, I think I know what could have caused the screen crack/chip/scratch as seen in the above picture. Earlier today I was wiping away some dust on the screen with a soft tissue as I didn't have any other cloth available at the time. That probably caused this. If that did cause this, then this is most likely a scratch and not a crack, correct?
Highly doubt a soft tissue would cause that, in any case just exchange the phone. Return and buy.

Reactions: msackey
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.