Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SS2602

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2020
Hello,

I am starting college as a CSE student (iMTech course length 5 yrs). I need a laptop for programming and possibly some machine learning (after 5-6 semesters). Is the M1 Macbook AIR right choice for me? Note that I've never used a mac before and I need it to last at least 5-6 years.

Also, should I go for -

1) 7 core GPU/ 8GB/ 256GB
2) 7 core GPU/ 8GB/ 512GB
3) 7 core GPU/ 16GB/256GB
4) 8 core GPU/ 8GB/ 512GB

I can only comfortably afford the base model, though I may go for upgrading either RAM or SSD or GPU if its worth it in the long run.

Thank you :)

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
Hello,

I am starting college as a CSE student (iMTech course length 5 yrs). I need a laptop for programming and possibly some machine learning (after 5-6 semesters). Is the M1 Macbook AIR right choice for me? Note that I've never used a mac before and I need it to last at least 5-6 years.

Also, should I go for -

I can only comfortably afford the base model, though I may go for upgrading either RAM or SSD or GPU if its worth it in the long run.

I would spend the extra money on RAM and, if you can afford it 512 GB. But RAM is the top priority because you want this to last 5 years. You can always add an external SSD for more storage. I doubt you will even notice the lack of one GPU core so 7 should be fine.

I’m a developer and I’ve been using the Air for a few weeks configuring and building all sorts of open source code. I’ve got Linux working in a VM. QEMu is almost there for x86_64 emulation and will be working soon. Video compression is working with Handbrake and ffmpeg. Python, Ruby and Java all run fine. I can’t think of too many things that are going to be a problem for school. Docker doesn’t work yet but it will within a few months. I’m not sure schools use it though they should.

I would still get any requirements from your school but the M1 Air won’t have any major technical limitations.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Hello,

Also, should I go for -

You don't mention what you currently have/use.

First priority - storage - look at what you currently use. Would it fit in 256GB leaving 50-100Gb free? If not, then 512GB may be the wiser choice vs 256GB. Though if much of that is accumulated crap you don't really need, then maybe you'd be fine. Need to know what you're really needing now, else anyone is guessing.

CSE? As in comp sci? Go for 16GB RAM IMHO since you can't change it later.

GPU count is immaterial vs the other two decision points.

With no other info I'd guess that option #3 would be what you should choose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.