Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
My elderly parents have a 2013 Core i5 MacBook Pro, currently running MacOS 10.12 "Sierra". Most of their web-browsing is done using Safari. Also some FireFox. They are not "computer literate" and occasionally need my help.

The version of Safari is so old on this machine that they are having problems with some web-sites. Even Facebook is becoming a pain for them. Safari is making it difficult to fill out various web-forms.

It's not 100% clear to me, but I don't think they need a clean install. They still occasionally use iPhoto, so I have been told the most forward I could take their machine is MacOS 10.14 "Mojave". The only major commercial software I think they have installed on their machine is Microsoft Office 365 and maybe iWork.

If I do not have to do a clean install, how to I migrate their computer to Mojave and no further? Obviously, I have to make sure their data backup is current. I am concerned about passwords for web-sites. Do I need to get a subscription to 1Pass or something like that?

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
If I do not have to do a clean install, how to I migrate their computer to Mojave and no further?
After ensuring you have a full backup, download the macOS Mojave installer from the App Store and run it. It will upgrade the current macOS Sierra installation to Mojave and leave existing applications and data in place. Afterwards, don't let Software Update download any later version of macOS (it'll say one is available, just ignore that).

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
Is there a way to turn off Apple's nagging so my parents never see any notifications about upgrading the MacOS?

Can this Mojave installer also be used to do a clean install as well (I may need to do that; I have a late-2013 iMac with "Sierra" installed, and some old drivers seem to have corrupted the OS, so I definitely need to clean-install Mojave on the iMac).

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Is there a way to turn off Apple's nagging so my parents never see any notifications about upgrading the MacOS?

Can this Mojave installer also be used to do a clean install as well (I may need to do that; I have a late-2013 iMac with "Sierra" installed, and some old drivers seem to have corrupted the OS, so I definitely need to clean-install Mojave on the iMac).
yes, Mojave can be installed and OSXDaily has great "how to" instructions.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I recommend Mojave (as have others above).

TIP: If you can't seem to download a good copy of Mojave through Apple, here's a way to get one:
Download this free app:
(Click the "download" button)
BE AWARE that dosdude's "Mac OS Mojave Patcher" is for Macs that can't run Mojave natively.
BUT... it has a useful menu item for downloading Mojave on any Mac.
Just go to the "Tools" menu and select "Download Mac OS Mojave".
Once you have it, I suggest you also MAKE A COPY of the Mojave installer to another drive, just to have it around.

You should copy the Mojave OS installer into the Applications folder, and then run it.
It should be able to install Mojave "over" the existing OS.

IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS:
BE AWARE that Mojave uses the APFS disk format, rather than HFS+ as earlier versions of the OS used. So...
...It might be necessary to do this first:
a. Create a bootable USB flash drive with the Mojave installer app on it**
b. BACK UP the contents of the MacBook to an external drive (I recommend using either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper, both are free to download and use for 30 days)
c. Boot from the flash drive installer
d. ERASE the internal drive to APFS using disk utility (you MUST go to disk utility's "view" menu and choose "show all devices" to see the internal drive)
e. Install a clean copy of Mojave
f. RESTORE the data from the backup using setup assistant (during the initial setup procedure)

**To create the flash drive installer, you need a USB3 flashdrive, 16gb or larger.
Then, use either "Diskmaker X" or "Install Disk Creator" to make it.
Be sure to use the correct version of these utilities for Mojave (both are free).
If one doesn't work for you, try the other one.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wingsley
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.