Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

homestar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
Hi all -

So I'm about to pull the trigger on a Mac Pro. I'm on a 24" iMac at my day job. For the past four years, my personal computer has been an iBook G3 (800mhz). Now that I'm doing a lot more in the way of freelance web design, I'm in desperate need of a machine with more bite. (My day job isn't liking the fact that I use my work computer for freelance jobs. :rolleyes: ). Primary (proc intensive) apps I use: Photoshop, Illustrator - with occasional Flash, and some iMovie/GarageBand stuff. No hardcore video editing to speak of - though I'd love to do more audio editing in the future, hobby-style.

To my question: initially, I was focused on the 2.66ghz MP. My thought was I'd start with 2gigs of RAM, and upgrade further once CS3 is actually in my hands.

But let's say I uncovered a bit more cash. Would you all suggest bumping up the proc speed to the 3ghz quad (the octo is, obviously, way more than I need) or would you take that extra cash and use it to bump up the ram?

Basically (and I know this is a common refrain around these parts), I want to ensure that my computer 1) screams now but also 2) lasts me as long as possible - and I want to make sure that the money I spend helps ensure that.

So what do you all think? I know it's partly just a matter of personal preference and need - but what would you do in my situation?

Thanks for your help!

akadmon

Suspended
Aug 30, 2006
New England
I don't have direct experience comparing 3.00 quad vs 2.66 quad, but if you just go by the clock speed the expected boost from the processor upgrade is not significant (nowhere near what it is for oung from 2.00 to 2.66). If it were my money I'd go with more RAM.

4God

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
I don't have direct experience comparing 3.00 quad vs 2.66 quad, but if you just go by the clock speed the expected boost from the processor upgrade is not significant (nowhere near what it is for oung from 2.00 to 2.66). If it were my money I'd go with more RAM.

Not only that, but I just couldn't justify the extra $799.00 plus tax boost
to go from 2.66 to 3.0 (not worth it in my opinion). I was in sort of the
same situation when I ordered mine. I just went with the base model
and purchased extra RAM and hard drive from OWC.

homestar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
Thanks!

Thanks, guys! I think for me, it probably will come down to the issue of the .33ghz bump just not being worth what they're charging.

Plus, I think part of my desire to go for the 3ghz procs is it just looks better on paper - irrational, I know. But everyone wants to get as close to the top-of-the-line and stay there as long as they can. Human nature, right? ;)

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
But everyone wants to get as close to the top-of-the-line and stay there as long as they can. Human nature, right? ;)
Look at it this way: when 6GHz Macs are out, the 3GHz Mac Pro will be 50% as fast as the state-of-the-art. The 2.66GHz one will be 45% as fast. Not a big difference.

Or look at it a different way: that $800 would buy you a mini in a year or two that's almost as fast as the Mac Pro is now. And there's Xgrid....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.