Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EEzycade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
In November 2018 I purchased a refurbished 2018 13' MacBook Pro w TB. I knew about the keyboard issues but I needed a computer to start school. So now with the mysterious 2020 14' or 13' MBP with no butterfly keyboard on the horizon, I'm wondering about a few things. I know that when this new MBP comes out, my resale value drops a lot because of the butterfly keyboard. And I know I'll want to upgrade(bigger screen, slimmer bezels hopefully, more reliable keyboard) to the new model. Not to mention I don't trust the keyboard on my computer. When it fails, I'm not looking forward to spending time without a computer while Apple fixes it. So how do I get the most for my current machine when I sell it? Or should I just keep my head down and use my computer(that works fine) for a couple more years? Thanks for any advice. I know there are plenty of people in a similar situation as me.

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
I would think a newer 13/14” is right around the corner. With that being said, your resale value is already way lower than what you paid for it. Your options are sell it on Swapp, eBay, Craigslist, etc. Swappa is a good option because there aren’t the heavy fees like with eBay.

Either way, you aren’t going to get much for it as the market will be flooded with those models when the new one comes out. Just sell it, take the loss, and move on. Sometimes you have to if you want to upgrade.

There is also the option of staying with your current model. If it’s working for you and you aren’t having problems it’s not the worst idea.

funkiejack

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2013
As much as I don’t trust the butterfly keyboard, I plan to grab a loaded one hopefully for a steal when the new model comes out. But I’m planning on docking it 95% of the time in a vertical stand and probably the only time the keyboard will see action is when I go on a trip if I bring it at all. Would not recommend anyone to buy one at this point if they plan on using it regularly as a laptop. I work in a tech company and have seen almost half the fleet go back for keyboard issues (under warranty) over the past 2 years and personally have a 2016 MacBook 12 that I’m about to put in for service.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
If the system is not having issues just keep using it. You are covered for 4 years from purchase on the keyboard. You only need to worry about resell when you sell it 3/4 years down the road.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I cannot work with unreliable equipment as it's my livelihood and I don't want to have to deal with the worry about reliability.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.