Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bonjourx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2016
so, I have an 8 plus and my husband suddenly told me he’s willing to get an iPhone X for me and he can have my phone, or vice verse, he’ll get the upgrade for his phone which is the X and I can stay on my iPhone 8 plus. Now my question is, is it too late now to get the IPhone X since I know every September there’s always a new launch phone? I always get the ATT every year upgrade so my 8 plus will be upgradeable by October if I’m not mistaken. Also, for those who had an iPhone X is the phone amazing?

TechNismo

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2017
6ix
There is still 7 months until the next iPhone launch. Amazing phone, no regrets. Face ID is a bit slower than Touch ID, but with its additional features it makes Face ID more convenient (ie. Notification). Feels great in the hand (if you like smaller phones that is, since your coming for a plus). Camera will almost be identical, just a bit better with front portrait mode too. Will take about a couple days of use before getting use to the gestures. Would recommend it.
What phone does you husband currently have. Does he need to upgrade at moment?

Reactions: jaymc

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
You might like it more or you might like it less. You might like it more if you wish the 8+ was smaller. Or you might think the X is too small... especially if you watch video or play games. I like the X. I also like FaceID and the Home buttonless interface. The plus phones are just too big for me.

If you are both used to the plus phones, you might not like the X.

Reactions: bonjourx

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
If you like the design of iPhone X, and don’t mind slow Face ID and unfinished gesture system, then go for it. A11 is a beast, and it’s an anniversary phone. OLED could open some interesting use cases too.

Reactions: bonjourx

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
so, I have an 8 plus and my husband suddenly told me he’s willing to get an iPhone X for me and he can have my phone, or vice verse, he’ll get the upgrade for his phone which is the X and I can stay on my iPhone 8 plus. Now my question is, is it too late now to get the IPhone X since I know every September there’s always a new launch phone? I always get the ATT every year upgrade so my 8 plus will be upgradeable by October if I’m not mistaken. Also, for those who had an iPhone X is the phone amazing?

It's Never "Too late" to purchase an iPhone that you truly want. You need to factor in how often do you upgrade, what exactly are you looking for in the iPhone X, do you feel like you could wait for the next device, etc. Those are all questions I would ask yourself and then make your decision from there.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
It all comes down to the size of the keyboard. I can't type for crap on my wife's x, and my 8 plus doesn't even fit in her pants pocket.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
It's not too late. There is always going to be new models coming out. Playing the waiting game so you can have the latest and greatest is an exercise in futility.

The iPhone X is an excellent phone. Give it a 14 days trial. That way you get some hands-on time and can make a better informed decision.

Reactions: Ta0jin

toughouse

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2018
X is really great, I just got this phone couple days ago, and in very short time I got used to it, the gesture control is really amazing and way better than homebutton, especially when you switch apps, it's very smooth and fast and convenient. No regrets at all.

bonjourx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2016
There is still 7 months until the next iPhone launch. Amazing phone, no regrets. Face ID is a bit slower than Touch ID, but with its additional features it makes Face ID more convenient (ie. Notification). Feels great in the hand (if you like smaller phones that is, since your coming for a plus). Camera will almost be identical, just a bit better with front portrait mode too. Will take about a couple days of use before getting use to the gestures. Would recommend it.
What phone does you husband currently have. Does he need to upgrade at moment?

He has a 6s plus right now. He can pay 200 bucks and upgrade to a new phone. He suggested that I should get the X and he will have my 8 plus as a birthday present for me. I think I will do it!!
[doublepost=1517809045][/doublepost]
It's Never "Too late" to purchase an iPhone that you truly want. You need to factor in how often do you upgrade, what exactly are you looking for in the iPhone X, do you feel like you could wait for the next device, etc. Those are all questions I would ask yourself and then make your decision from there.

I upgrade every year. I’m using an att next. I’m thinking of using the iPhone upgrade program this time but I don’t quite get how it works. I saw that we can get the iPhone X for 56 bucks monthly, what happens to my att next account from the same number? Is it $56 (Apple upgrade program fee) plus whatever plan I currently have from att but minus the phone that we just upgraded since it’s coming from Apple? We currently have 2 phones under Att next. What happens to the bill once we end up using Apple upgrade program on one phone?
[doublepost=1517809148][/doublepost]
It all comes down to the size of the keyboard. I can't type for crap on my wife's x, and my 8 plus doesn't even fit in her pants pocket.

Lol I think my husband would like the 8 plus more sinc she likes to watch a lot using his phone and I know x has smaller screen.
[doublepost=1517809181][/doublepost]
It's not too late. There is always going to be new models coming out. Playing the waiting game so you can have the latest and greatest is an exercise in futility.

The iPhone X is an excellent phone. Give it a 14 days trial. That way you get some hands-on time and can make a better informed decision.

Good idea. Would there be a return fee if ever I change my mind?
[doublepost=1517809231][/doublepost]
X is really great, I just got this phone couple days ago, and in very short time I got used to it, the gesture control is really amazing and way better than homebutton, especially when you switch apps, it's very smooth and fast and convenient. No regrets at all.

I think I’m getting it. Not only sure if I should get it from Apple upgrade program or att next still. I don’t quite understand how Apple upgrade program works. :/

bigscotal

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2008
UK
Personally, I have held off this long, and I'm now thinking I'll just put the money I had saved to the side and see what this year brings.

GomerBoy

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2012
The 8 Plus has a longer battery life though...all depends on what you want to give up.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016

I was at the AT&T store yesterday picking up an X and while I was talking to rep I asked him if they were selling many of them. He said they have been selling them like crazy. I asked if he knew about the recent report that Apple was going to cut back on production and discontinue it and he said he had but didn't know why since they sell so many of them. At the table next to me was a husband & wife who were both upgrading to the X and the same time I was snarfing up mine.

While I was talking to him I asked about the Note 8 as my son wants to upgrade to it. Out of curiosity I asked which he sells more of and he said he sells about 3 iPhone X to every 1 Note 8. Both phones are insanely priced so I guess it's a fair comparison. I think the Note 8 is $50 less at $950.

Anyways, it's a good time to buy in my opinion as the end of Sept / beginning of Oct (new phone time frame) is still 8-9 months away..

I am still getting adjusted to mine as I've only had it day but so far so good..

Last edited:

russelljg

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2018
Surrey, UK
I was at the AT&T store yesterday picking up an X and while I was talking to rep I asked him if they were selling many of them. He said they have been selling them like crazy. I asked if he knew about the recent report that Apple was going to cut back on production and discontinue it and he said he had but didn't know why since they sell so many of them.

NSS

bonjourx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2016
I finally took the plunge and got the iPhone X. So far so good!! except the fact that the stainless have scratches already the moment I took it out of the box where the simcard tray is located. :/ not so visible but its still there, good hairline and couple of mini ones. I have no clue where it came from as I just received it today!!

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
He has a 6s plus right now. He can pay 200 bucks and upgrade to a new phone. He suggested that I should get the X and he will have my 8 plus as a birthday present for me. I think I will do it!!
[doublepost=1517809045][/doublepost]

I upgrade every year. I’m using an att next. I’m thinking of using the iPhone upgrade program this time but I don’t quite get how it works. I saw that we can get the iPhone X for 56 bucks monthly, what happens to my att next account from the same number? Is it $56 (Apple upgrade program fee) plus whatever plan I currently have from att but minus the phone that we just upgraded since it’s coming from Apple? We currently have 2 phones under Att next. What happens to the bill once we end up using Apple upgrade program on one phone?
[doublepost=1517809148][/doublepost]

Lol I think my husband would like the 8 plus more sinc she likes to watch a lot using his phone and I know x has smaller screen.
[doublepost=1517809181][/doublepost]

Good idea. Would there be a return fee if ever I change my mind?
[doublepost=1517809231][/doublepost]

I think I’m getting it. Not only sure if I should get it from Apple upgrade program or att next still. I don’t quite understand how Apple upgrade program works. :/
No return fee.

bonjourx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2016
hi, quick question, do you know if ATT Insurance is tied up to the phone number or phone itself? since my husband and I exchanged, when I upgraded his line and got the iPhone x, I also added the mobile insurance. now we've received the phone, we exchanged and I have now the iPhone x and he has the iPhone 8 plus that used to be mine (I didnt get an insurance for my 8 plus before), now whenever I check our device features it shows that his line has an insurance which is the iPhone 8 plus (my old phone) and my line doesn't iPhone x. I guess what I wanna know is if we file a claim with the insurance, what phone would he get? the iPhone x or the iPhone 8 plus? ATT is claiming that whatever phone is in my husband's line since its the one thats insured thats the phone were gonna be getting if we file a claim. sorry if its too confusing!!

No return fee.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
hi, quick question, do you know if ATT Insurance is tied up to the phone number or phone itself? since my husband and I exchanged, when I upgraded his line and got the iPhone x, I also added the mobile insurance. now we've received the phone, we exchanged and I have now the iPhone x and he has the iPhone 8 plus that used to be mine (I didnt get an insurance for my 8 plus before), now whenever I check our device features it shows that his line has an insurance which is the iPhone 8 plus (my old phone) and my line doesn't iPhone x. I guess what I wanna know is if we file a claim with the insurance, what phone would he get? the iPhone x or the iPhone 8 plus? ATT is claiming that whatever phone is in my husband's line since its the one thats insured thats the phone were gonna be getting if we file a claim. sorry if its too confusing!!

I think it’s a monthly insurance fee you pay, so I doubt there is anything to lose by dropping insurance from his line and adding it to yours,,but when in doubt just give AT&T a call and ask them about it.

conifer

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2014
Possibly too late for op but for others reading this, I would wait fir X2 as you are about halfway through and I think Apple will make some strong improvements as they observe how X is performing in millions of hands.
I got the 2016 MacBook Pro with the new design and they fixed the keyboard issues and had bigger battery in the 2017 one.
The 6s had twice as much RAM as the 6 which was the first large phone (here I lucked out with getting the 6s)
Likewise the Air 2 had twice as much RAm as Air 1 which was the first iPad to credibly run office 365, and Air 2 runs fine on 11.x (sold my Air and got the Air 2 when it came out)
Likewise the IPad 3 was the first one with retina but they moved quickly to the iPad 4.
iPhone 5s also much improved over the lower performing iPhone 5 and the 5s still runs credibly today for basic tasks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.