Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NICU420YEM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2006
So very recently my 15 inch powerbook logic board broke. I wanted to get it fixed but can't afford to get it fixed. So I'm looking at the mac minis.. I wanna know if you think I should get one now or wait till the new ones come out. I sort of need a computer atleast by march or something and can't afford a new powerbook or anything

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
Basically if you need (or want) one, buy one now and make the most on your investment (and you won't become one of the 'I bought my x last week. Now Apple have released new, improved x. They have so ripped me off' whiners).

If you can wait then wait and you'll get the latest greatest when it comes out.

Reflow

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
NJ/PHL
What you can do is if you have any technical experience there is a site the gives you instruction on replacing it your self. All you have to is buy the board and do it your self and save some $$$. I recently replaced my HHD and CD drive in my iBook which wasn't to bad

http://www.pbfixit.com/Guide/54.13.0.html

T-Stex

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2006
Pennsylvania
Me Too...

I'd been having some problems with my PowerBook as well, none that make the computer unusable, however. Sometimes the computer won't start up on the first time that I press the power button, and occasionally it'll freeze on me. I took it to a few people who told me it's most likely the logic board.

From what I've been seeing, these boards sell for approximately $550, and the installation doesn't look too painful if you follow the link from Reflow.

However, if you don't have any physical damage to your computer like dents or anything, take your computer to an Apple Store, and I think you can send it in for about $350, including shipping there and back, parts, and labor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.