Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 19, 2009
I currently own MBA m2 5/256. I am interested in larger storage and display.
There are three options:
1. MBA 15 inch m2 512 (cheapest)
2. MBP 14 inch m2 16/512
3. MBP 14 inch m3 8/512

I am kinda lost between them. As for prices, MBA M2 is cheapest option, m2 Pro is second cheapest and m3 is most expensive among them.
I do office work, some Logic and FCP work, no games, no 3D

Which one you'd recommend?

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Bestbuy is selling the M2 15 inch Air with 16GB of RAM and 1TB SSD for $1,499 right now. IDK about your workflow but if it works now with your laptop I would say that is a good deal.

I would avoid 8GB of RAM tho.

Sully

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007
I currently own MBA m2 5/256. I am interested in larger storage and display.
There are three options:
1. MBA 15 inch m2 512 (cheapest)
2. MBP 14 inch m2 16/512
3. MBP 14 inch m3 8/512

I am kinda lost between them. As for prices, MBA M2 is cheapest option, m2 Pro is second cheapest and m3 is most expensive among them.
I do office work, some Logic and FCP work, no games, no 3D

Which one you'd recommend?

I promise that this will be my last AI generated post. But, I’ve been having fun screwing around with Gemini today.

===========================

I can help you choose the best option based on your needs and budget:

Considering your requirements:

• You value larger storage and display.
  • You primarily do office work, some Logic Pro and Final Cut Pro work, and no gaming or 3D rendering.

Analyzing the options:

1. MBA 15 inch m2 512:
    • Pros: Most affordable, larger display, sufficient storage for your needs.
    • Cons: Fanless design might limit performance under sustained load, fewer ports compared to Pro models.
  2. MBP 14 inch m2 16/512:
    • Pros: More powerful M2 chip with active cooling, 16GB RAM provides better multitasking, additional ports for flexibility.
    • Cons: More expensive than MBA 15", might be overkill for your usage if performance isn't a major concern.
  3. MBP 14 inch m3 8/512:
    • Pros: Most powerful option with future-proof performance, potentially useful if you expand your creative work.
    • Cons: Highest price tag, 8GB RAM might be limiting for intensive multitasking, potentially unnecessary for your current usage.

Recommendation:

Based on your needs, the MBA 15 inch m2 512 seems like the most balanced and cost-effective choice.
It offers significant storage and display upgrades over your current MBA, and its performance should be sufficient for your existing workload.

However, consider these factors before making a decision:

• Performance: If you find your current MBA struggling with Logic Pro or Final Cut Pro, or anticipate more demanding tasks in the future, the MBP 14" m2 16/512 might be worth the investment.
  • Multitasking: If you regularly work with multiple resource-intensive applications simultaneously, the 16GB RAM in the MBP 14" m2 could be beneficial.
  • Futureproofing: If you plan to keep this Mac for several years and potentially increase your creative workload, the MBP 14" m3 could be a worthwhile investment.

Ultimately, the best choice depends on your individual priorities and budget. If you're unsure, visiting an Apple Store and trying out the different models can help you get a better feel for their performance and screen size.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
I promise that this will be my last AI generated post. But, I’ve been having fun screwing around with Gemini today.

===========================

I can help you choose the best option based on your needs and budget:

Considering your requirements:

• You value larger storage and display.
  • You primarily do office work, some Logic Pro and Final Cut Pro work, and no gaming or 3D rendering.

Analyzing the options:

1. MBA 15 inch m2 512:
    • Pros: Most affordable, larger display, sufficient storage for your needs.
    • Cons: Fanless design might limit performance under sustained load, fewer ports compared to Pro models.
  2. MBP 14 inch m2 16/512:
    • Pros: More powerful M2 chip with active cooling, 16GB RAM provides better multitasking, additional ports for flexibility.
    • Cons: More expensive than MBA 15", might be overkill for your usage if performance isn't a major concern.
  3. MBP 14 inch m3 8/512:
    • Pros: Most powerful option with future-proof performance, potentially useful if you expand your creative work.
    • Cons: Highest price tag, 8GB RAM might be limiting for intensive multitasking, potentially unnecessary for your current usage.

Recommendation:

Based on your needs, the MBA 15 inch m2 512 seems like the most balanced and cost-effective choice.
It offers significant storage and display upgrades over your current MBA, and its performance should be sufficient for your existing workload.

However, consider these factors before making a decision:

• Performance: If you find your current MBA struggling with Logic Pro or Final Cut Pro, or anticipate more demanding tasks in the future, the MBP 14" m2 16/512 might be worth the investment.
  • Multitasking: If you regularly work with multiple resource-intensive applications simultaneously, the 16GB RAM in the MBP 14" m2 could be beneficial.
  • Futureproofing: If you plan to keep this Mac for several years and potentially increase your creative workload, the MBP 14" m3 could be a worthwhile investment.

Ultimately, the best choice depends on your individual priorities and budget. If you're unsure, visiting an Apple Store and trying out the different models can help you get a better feel for their performance and screen size.
Future proofing? the M2 with 16GB of RAM will last longer than the M3 with 8GB.....

Sully

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007
Future proofing? the M2 with 16GB of RAM will last longer than the M3 with 8GB.....
Let’s see what Gemini says about that:

============================

It's definitely true that M2 with 16GB of RAM offers more futureproofing potential than M3 with 8GB, for several reasons:

RAM:

• 16GB provides more headroom: For multitasking between demanding applications (especially creative software like Logic Pro and Final Cut Pro),16GB will generally handle it better than 8GB.
  • Future software demands: Software tends to become more resource-intensive over time, so extra RAM helps stay ahead of the curve.

Chip:

• M2 vs. M3: While M3 is faster, it mainly benefits users with very demanding workloads like 3D rendering or heavy video editing. For your mentioned tasks, M2 provides ample power.

However, the best choice depends on your specific needs and budget:

• If you prioritize affordability and your current workload doesn't stress your M1, sticking with 16GB RAM in M2 is likely sufficient.
  • If you anticipate significantly increasing your creative demands or want the latest chip architecture, even for moderate use, then M3 with 16GB RAM might be worth considering,although it's the most expensive option.

Remember: Futureproofing is about balancing future needs with present costs. Carefully analyze your current and projected workflow before making a decision.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 19, 2009
The question closed.
I chose M3 MacBook Pro with base configuration,8GB/512 :)
I know about RAM limitations but for office work and light editing, it's fine.

Reactions: Bigwaff
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.