Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kentrent

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2022
Hello Group!!! I’m new member and need your experience and expertise advise. Should I buy the Mac Pro 2019 now or wait for Apple to come out with the new Apple Silicone Mac Pro??

I was able to giving a deal below:
Mac Pro 2019
28 cores CPU
384 gig of RAM
8 TB SSD
2x Radeon Pro Vega II Duo
Apple AfterBurner Card

All for $10K. Is this a good deal? Or should I wait to get the next Mac Pro??
All feedbacks and advises are welcome. Thanks very much.

Kimmo

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2011
I'm in the same boat.

FWIW, I'm holding out until we get to see the Apple Silicon Mac Pro (assuming that the October rumors are correct).

Is $10,000 for the 2019 specs you posted a "good deal?" I really don't know and I suspect we won't know until we understand what $10k will buy in the new line.

I like the specs of the machine you're looking at (especially the RAM and the 8TB storage). I would be a little concerned that the Vega's are getting long in the tooth and would be asking myself how long it will be before I get the itch for an expensive upgrade.

Good luck with your search!

Reactions: Kentrent

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
Wait if you can. It should be announced this year. And you'll be able to compare and contrast. At least that's what I would do.

Wow, that is a lot of RAM! But why the older Vega cards? Regardless, for $10k taht seems like a heck of a deal!

Kentrent

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2022
Wait if you can. It should be announced this year. And you'll be able to compare and contrast. At least that's what I would do.

Wow, that is a lot of RAM! But why the older Vega cards? Regardless, for $10k taht seems like a heck of a deal

Kentrent

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2022
I guess this was the first model released which came with the Vega II Duo. But from this specs, this is a good deal?

Im just worry when the new mac pro comes out and this might bump up in price if the new mac pro is not good enough for people in term of upgradability, and graphics upgrades.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
I guess this was the first model released which came with the Vega II Duo. But from this specs, this is a good deal?

Im just worry when the new mac pro comes out and this might bump up in price if the new mac pro is not good enough for people in term of upgradability, and graphics upgrades.

True. I didn't think of that. It's tough to know. Right now, this forum's best guess is this:

The new Mac Pro will not let you upgrade ram, you'll have to buy it at the time of purchase. It will have at least one slot (based on a leaked prototype review). Some believe it will have more than one slot. Not clear if that means 3 slots, 5, or 8. But that those slots will not support any graphic card displays. As such, the CPU will be much faster on this new machine with ~40 cores. Memory bandwidth will be much faster. It will have less ram capacity. And while the GPU speed on this machine will be around 2-3x faster than an ultra, it will ultimately be way slower wrt GPU speed compared to the newest fastest graphics cards.

While the above is pure speculation/rumor, let's just assume that the above is correct. If it is true, and all the above would be preferable to you over a 2019 machine, then it's likely worth waiting for, because that's the current best guess.

If the above is not good for you, but that comes out, is that machine likely to make 2019 machines cheaper, the same, or higher in price? Tough call. I'm not sure. Depends if the 2019 can be made to support the latest 7000 series of graphics cards. If so, then I suspect demand for 2019 machines would go up a lot. Most in this forum think it's questionable that apple would release driver support for AMD 7000 series cards, so the 6900xt or 6800duo cards will be the end of the road for the 2019... although that still will be faster, likely, than the new apple silicon Mac Pro, so what does that do the price? Not sure, but maybe the price stays the same in that circumstance.

Obviously if apple announces a new Mac Pro that can take 3rd party graphics cards, then the prices on the 2019 Mac Pro are more likely to go down. While this forum seems to think this is less likely to occur, what the odds are, are anyone's guess. I personally am mildly optimistic that this forum's pessimism is wrong and apple will release a Mac Pro with slots that do support 3rd party graphics cards, but I am in serious minority here.

Not sure if that helps, but that's my best understanding of things.

Kentrent

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2022
I ag
True. I didn't think of that. It's tough to know. Right now, this forum's best guess is this:

The new Mac Pro will not let you upgrade ram, you'll have to buy it at the time of purchase. It will have at least one slot (based on a leaked prototype review). Some believe it will have more than one slot. Not clear if that means 3 slots, 5, or 8. But that those slots will not support any graphic card displays. As such, the CPU will be much faster on this new machine with ~40 cores. Memory bandwidth will be much faster. It will have less ram capacity. And while the GPU speed on this machine will be around 2-3x faster than an ultra, it will ultimately be way slower wrt GPU speed compared to the newest fastest graphics cards.

While the above is pure speculation/rumor, let's just assume that the above is correct. If it is true, and all the above would be preferable to you over a 2019 machine, then it's likely worth waiting for, because that's the current best guess.

If the above is not good for you, but that comes out, is that machine likely to make 2019 machines cheaper, the same, or higher in price? Tough call. I'm not sure. Depends if the 2019 can be made to support the latest 7000 series of graphics cards. If so, then I suspect demand for 2019 machines would go up a lot. Most in this forum think it's questionable that apple would release driver support for AMD 7000 series cards, so the 6900xt or 6800duo cards will be the end of the road for the 2019... although that still will be faster, likely, than the new apple silicon Mac Pro, so what does that do the price? Not sure, but maybe the price stays the same in that circumstance.

Obviously if apple announces a new Mac Pro that can take 3rd party graphics cards, then the prices on the 2019 Mac Pro are more likely to go down. While this forum seems to think this is less likely to occur, what the odds are, are anyone's guess. I personally am mildly optimistic that this forum's pessimism is wrong and apple will release a Mac Pro with slots that do support 3rd party graphics cards, but I am in serious minority here.

Not sure if that helps, but that's my best understanding of things

I agreed with you. The Mac Pro 2019 would be in high demand if Apple continues to make drivers and support for newer graphics cards. Otherwise if Apple doesn’t allow this then this is the end of Mac Pro 2019 - this would really upset all the Mac Pro owners when they spend $30k or more for a machine that only lasted 3 years or so.

Knowing Apple, they like to control and make everything proprietary. I don’t think the new Mac Pro would have capability to use third party graphic cards like the macpro 2019 because apple is moving into their own graphics cards and they want to promote that moving forward. Having said that they wouldn’t like for customers to go buy the older macpro 2019 because it capable of using third party graphics card either. So they might discontinue support mac pro 2019 graphic card too. Unless apple still be nice and allow support for third party graphics cards for a few more years to lessen the angry from current mac pro owners. If this true then the mac pro would be good still and in demand when the new mac pro comes out.

so hard… i cant decide but i dont wanna miss out on the deal either all that for $10k. Also, i loveeee the engineering and build behind this mac pro. Its such a beautiful piece of equipment.

spaz8

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2007
Seems like a good deal to me.. very tempting.. pretty maxed out system.. probably cost $30K 3 yrs ago
.. as far as CPU RAM, SSD etc Last of the Intel macs.

I think it really comes down to your workload - if the software you'll use is AS optimized.. and urgency.. if there is work you need do get done. I am guessing you don't have a pressing business case since you can afford to wait.

Usually waiting is the best option if you have the luxury. I would bet you'll pay more than $10K for the AS Mac Pro to get similar ram, and SSD.. but it might also be significantly faster CPU and GPU performance.

Kentrent

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2022

Not sure if that helps, but that's my best understanding of things.
I agreed with you. The Mac Pro 2019 would be in high demand if Apple continues to make drivers and support for newer graphics cards. Otherwise if Apple doesn’t allow this then this is the end of Mac Pro 2019 - this would really upset all the Mac Pro owners when they spend $30k or more for a machine that only lasted 3 years or so.

Knowing Apple, they like to control and make everything proprietary. I don’t think the new Mac Pro would have capability to use third party graphic cards like the macpro 2019 because apple is moving into their own graphics cards and they want to promote that moving forward. Having said that they wouldn’t like for customers to go buy the older macpro 2019 because it capable of using third party graphics card either. So they might discontinue support mac pro 2019 graphic card too. Unless apple still be nice and allow support for third party graphics cards for a few more years to lessen the angry from current mac pro owners. If this true then the mac pro would be good still and in demand when the new mac pro comes out.

so hard… i cant decide but i dont wanna miss out on the deal either all that for $10k. Also, i loveeee the engineering and build behind this mac pro. Its such a beautiful piece of equipment.

Kentrent

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2022
Seems like a good deal to me.. very tempting.. pretty maxed out system.. probably cost $30K 3 yrs ago
.. as far as CPU RAM, SSD etc Last of the Intel macs.

I think it really comes down to your workload - if the software you'll use is AS optimized.. and urgency.. if there is work you need do get done. I am guessing you don't have a pressing business case since you can afford to wait.

Usually waiting is the best option if you have the luxury. I would bet you'll pay more than $10K for the AS Mac Pro to get similar ram, and SSD.. but it might also be significantly faster CPU and GPU performance.
Yea it’s pretty much maxed out system at the time and it was retail for $33k. Its now 1/3 the price. So I’m very tempted to buy. I dont have any pressure… just buying this because i love the machine spects and build quality. Its just looks so nice to have that thing on my desk/work space/man cave. :))

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^Then buy the darn thing. My machine, 16 core, 92GB RAM, Gigabyte RX6800XT with 10 internal SSDs will be with me for a long time. This is probably the last mac with this much expansion capabilities and so easy to upgrade. Great engineering and rock solid👍

Lou

Kentrent

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2022
^^^Yea that seem true to me too. This probably the last Mac Pro that has the freedom and capability to upgrade. But is $10k worth it for it though??

Colstan

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2020
It really depends on what you need it for and what sort of deal you can get.

I purchased a used 2019 Mac Pro about two weeks ago with the following specs:

16-Core CPU
96GB RAM
2TB SSD
580X GPU

For $2,000. I replaced the 580X with a W6600X for another $630 (I qualify for edu discount).

So, after tax and shipping, it worked out to about $2,800 in U.S. currency.

macpro.jpg

How did I manage this? Ebay search error. The seller is a computer store with thousands of items up for sale, the starting bid was $2,000, but it didn't show up when searching for "2019 Mac Pro", and they never bothered to check. Hence, I was the only bidder. Currently, this configuration is about $10,000 on Apple's website brand new.

So, I got extremely lucky, and I didn't really believe it until I had it on my computer desk. It's in perfect condition, nary a scratch. Comparatively, the 16-core CPU upgrade alone is $2,000. Given my good fortune, and the longevity of previous Mac Pro models, I fully intend to make this thing last for as long as possible.

Which I suppose is the question, the Mac Pro is on the cusp of being replaced, and it's yet to be determined what form it will take. It all depends on what you consider to be the right price and how different the Apple Silicon Mac Pro will be compared to its predecessors. I value x86 compatibility, this is probably the last of the Xeons, so this was an obvious purchase for me at a stupid low price.

Kentrent

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2022

16-Core CPU
96GB RAM
2TB SSD
580X GPU

For $2,000. I replaced the 580X with a W6600X for another $630 (I qualify for edu discount).

View attachment 2075118

How did I manage this? Ebay search error. The seller is a computer store with thousands of items up for sale, the starting bid was $2,000, but it didn't show up when searching for "2019 Mac Pro", and they never bothered to check. Hence, I was the only bidder. Currently, this configuration is about $10,000 on Apple's website brand new.

So, I got extremely lucky, and I didn't really believe it until I had it on my computer desk. It's in perfect condition, nary a scratch. Comparatively, the 16-core CPU upgrade alone is $2,000. Given my good fortune, and the longevity of previous Mac Pro models, I fully intend to make this thing last for as long as possible.

Which I suppose is the question, the Mac Pro is on the cusp of being replaced, and it's yet to be determined what form it will take. It all depends on what you consider to be the right price and how different the Apple Silicon Mac Pro will be compared to its predecessors. I value x86 compatibility, this is probably the last of the Xeons, so this was an obvious purchase for me at a stupid low price.
Thats an amazing deal. Do you think the specifications for my version for $10k is worth it? Is that consider good deal?

Mac3Duser

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2021
Mac Pro Intel 7.1 today are like PowerMac G5 in 2006, juste before the release of intel Mac Pro.
If you can, wait for the Apple Silicon Mac Pro.
If you need to work now, a build PC with DDR4, i7 12700 and RTX 3090 (less than 2000 dollars) is more powerful (except for big calculations, thanks to xeon)
So if you need 28 cores Xeon , this is your apple workstation

Grumply

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Hello Group!!! I’m new member and need your experience and expertise advise. Should I buy the Mac Pro 2019 now or wait for Apple to come out with the new Apple Silicone Mac Pro??

Mac Pro 2019
28 cores CPU
384 gig of RAM
8 TB SSD
Apple AfterBurner Card

That's a fantastic price for a beastly specced-out 28-core Xeon with 4(!) GPUs built into it.

Unless the superior media-encoders/decoders built into the Apple Silicon machines is going to make a big difference to your life, I think you'd have a fantastic machine to last you many years there.

• Love

Kimmo

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2011

Mac Pro 2019
28 cores CPU
384 gig of RAM
8 TB SSD
Apple AfterBurner Card

A couple other quick thoughts:

When looking at used machines in your price range it would would be good to find one that has AppleCare+ coverage remaining. Have you been able to run the serial number for the computer you're looking at to check its status?

If there is coverage remaining you'll want to get the seller's agreement to transfer coverage to you.

Also, check to see if the 7,1 you're looking at was an original 28 core machine. If not, that would be a red flag for me. Aside from voiding any remaining AppleCare+ coverage, there are a lot of "QS" (Qualification Sample) Xeons floating around and that's not what I'd want in my computer.

Here's some information from Intel on samples:

Good luck!

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
Nobody can answer the question because nobody knows what the Apple Silicon Mac Pro will be like. If it's a closed-box system like the Studio then it may work for some people, but it won't work for others. If you need the ability to expand the system post-purchase then the 7,1 is still an excellent choice.

I agree that you should only consider a second-hand 7,1 if it still has AppleCare+ coverage and make sure the seller transfers it to you, including forwarding the email from Apple with the agreement document to you. I wouldn't pay more than $3,000 for one without it. Out-of-warranty repairs can be quite expensive. Even if the machine has one month of coverage left you should be able to renew it to monthly within 30 days of the expiration date.

Reactions: Kimmo

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008

Mac Pro 2019
28 cores CPU
384 gig of RAM
8 TB SSD
Apple AfterBurner Card

All feedbacks and advises are welcome. Thanks very much

You didn't mention the applications you are going to be using on your machine. That would help determine what would be a good fit for you. Please share.

Reactions: prefuse07

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
So while I cannot help you with the decision I have something that may make your decision easier regardless of what you choose to do.

It's not an easy decision. The forum, full of a lot of bright folks that revel in the topic, also do not really know what the 'right' choice is.

So at least you know, youre not crazy. It's a tough guess either way. And so what that really means is, your decision won't really be wrong no matter what you do. It will just be the best guess you could make at the time.

Not sure that's of any help, but sometimes it's just helpful to know you're not missing something and not crazy.

Kentrent

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2022
So while I cannot help you with the decision I have something that may make your decision easier regardless of what you choose to do.

It's not an easy decision. The forum, full of a lot of bright folks that revel in the topic, also do not really know what the 'right' choice is.

So at least you know, youre not crazy. It's a tough guess either way. And so what that really means is, your decision won't really be wrong no matter what you do. It will just be the best guess you could make at the time.

Not sure that's of any help, but sometimes it's just helpful to know you're not missing something and not crazy.
I just dont want to miss out on this beautiful great engineered computer and that $10k is worth a worth investment for many years to come. So its really hard to make a decision when we dont know what’s the future of the mac pro line or this intel mac pro specifically. Thanks for being so helpful making me realize many things about this purchase.

Reactions: ZombiePhysicist

Colstan

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2020
Thats an amazing deal. Do you think the specifications for my version for $10k is worth it? Is that consider good deal?
Only you can answer that. Some non-tech people think that spending $2,000 on a Mac Pro is crazy, because they won't spend more than $300 on a junk laptop PC. All I can say is that for my needs, this Mac Pro does exactly what I need it to do, at an excellent price. The value is up to the individual.

I do agree that the 2019 Mac Pro is an amazing machine, both in engineering and artistic style. Sure, it includes the "Apple tax", but that has a certain intangible value, when it comes to the little things. The locking mechanism for the PCIe slots is something that all PC motherboard makers should copy.

As many others have stated, the Apple Silicon Mac Pro is an unknown. If you want or need x86 compatibility, then the 7,1 is the best option, right now. I value being able to dual-boot x86 Windows through Boot Camp, so this was an easy decision, not just because of the price.

Apple sees upsides to the move to Arm, but right now, that's not for me. I'm glad that there is still a Mac with the option to use a Xeon, fleeting as that may be. This is the last of the no-compromise Mac/PC hybrids, and I'm glad to have one, particularly since I've always wanted to own a Mac Pro, but could never justify the cost until now.

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010

16-Core CPU
96GB RAM
2TB SSD
580X GPU

------

I am very envious, that's a great deal. You have more RAM than mine, a bigger SSD but less powerful GPU.

But I spent AUD$15K buying it brand new - as I needed it in a hurry to replace a failed older Mac Pro.

The OP's machine spec looks great, but the GPUs are older. Still though, that's a monster of a machine. We don't know what the next Mac Pro will be like so for now that's a nice machine.

Reactions: Colstan

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Knowing Apple, they like to control and make everything proprietary. I don’t think the new Mac Pro would have capability to use third party graphic cards like the macpro 2019 because apple is moving into their own graphics cards and they want to promote that moving forward.

There is little indication that Apple is looking to sell their own graphics cards at all. It is not "graphics cards" . It is getting apps highly optimized on the non-mainstream aspects of the Apple GPU that is of primary interest for Apple.

Can look no further than Intel quagmire with Arc dGPU drivers and apps using those drivers for the negative impacts of running on an immature , unoptimized stack can cause in the competitive marketplace.

Having said that they wouldn’t like for customers to go buy the older macpro 2019 because it capable of using third party graphics card either. So they might discontinue support mac pro 2019 graphic card too.

This is not a like and control issue. Far more likely this is an economic issues. Two major possible outcomes when Apple starts selling the new Mac Pro . First, they stop the old version all together. So how big of a market would there be for new GPU cards if the number of systems it could into was on a permanent downward slope? Why would AMD would be willing to commit to spending limited resources on a market that was steadily shrinking from the start, when they have other alternative assignments for personnel for growth markets?

Second possibility is that they sell the MP 2019 alongside the new Mac Pro for 1-1.5 year or so. Basically the same thing only it is shrinking slower. The Ultra Studio is already eating into Mac Pro sales. Probably not critically but some. M2 Max 2 MPB 16". another chop. A competitive M2 Mac Pro ... even deeper cuts.

If AMD hasn't put an optional Infinity Fabric link on the top end GPU die then it would somewhat of kludge to do a duo option (or even link two MPX modules together). There is a decent mismatch between the PCIe-v5 of the AMD card and the 'stuck on v3" infrastructure of the MP 2019.

So how many are they really going to sell? Too low a number it isn't about 'control'. It is about profit... or more directly lack of profit. For AMD the very similar issue. It isn't like the old days were Apple was going to but up huge stock that AMD has stuck in inventory ( or no other buyers for). Even with crypto craze gone AMD isn't in the same kinds of desparate straights as 4-5 years ago. And if Apple isn't allowing any path forward on any new Macs ( Mac Pro or otherwise via eGPU). What is really in it for them?

Unless apple still be nice and allow support for third party graphics cards for a few more years to lessen the angry from current mac pro owners.

Apple never really promised them new product. And if the Mac Pro is discontinued that will be even more abundantly clear. New Mac products were the always the main precipitator or new GPUs for Mac Pros. Apple never had high priority for new GPUs for old as possible Mac Pros. The MP 2019 has a 580X largely because other Macs already had that driver R&D covered before the Mac Pro 2019 ever shipped.

The W6800/W6900? Probably a "Plan B" Mac Pro W-6300 that got squashed with the M1 generation rollout was going OK. 5700 .. used on other mac products. 5600 .. used in other mac products. etc.

The end of 2022 was suppose to be the end of 'new' Intel Mac development. Apple will keep supporting the stuff they sold for years , but new product skus for Intel products are likely over.

The current Mac Pro was released in 2019. In 2020 Apple rolled out some MPX updates. In 2021, Apple rolled out some MPX updates. So got two rounds. The used 6800/6900 post-crypto craze market prices will be much more affordable in 2023. So folks can add a 6900 next to there W5700 and go faster ... and are suppose to be angry about that?

Angry and entitlement are two different things.

If this true then the mac pro would be good still and in demand when the new mac pro comes out.

Apple has sold the upper end Intel Mini 2018 alongside the M1 Mini for almost two years now. Apple coasting the MP 2019 into 2023 would not be that hard for them to do. They sold the MP 2013 for 6 years; so coasting for 4 years would be easy. However, it would be a mistake that was buying loads of extra money and investment into the Mac Pro 2019 in 2023-2025. It won't. Still has an major issue that it is attached to a processor family that Apple wants to put onto the Vintage/Obsolete list in several years.

Mac3Duser

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2021
Now imagine a keynote in October or November announcing the release of the new Mac Pro M2extreme with additional ram modules and many PCIexpress lanes in 5.0 as needed.
or, now imagine the release of a new Mac Pro M2extreme limited to 256 GB of ram and without the possibility of adding PCIe cards
or again, imagine the release of a new Mac Pro M2extreme AND the release of a new Mac Pro intel with the latest xeons (which I don't believe because that would be to admit that Apple Silicon does not cover all professional needs)

for all these possibilities, it is better to wait (imho).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.