Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Walkerz7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2018
Hey everyone,
I'm looking for an external monitor for my Mid 2014 MacBook Pro with Retina Display,
I have no idea what make or type of monitor to get, I'm a student and therefore have a small budget I'm not looking to spend more than £200.
I'm assuming that the best way to connect my laptop to a monitor is through the HDMI port.
any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Honza1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
US
More or less anything should work. Standard HD display connected through HDMI or DVI connector with dongle. At this price range I would look at ratings at large sites (Amazon or whatever you have in England) and pick something with good rating and with sensible return period so I can check it works for me. Make sure it has other features you want (usb hub, speakers,...), if needed. Things can complicated when you want higher resolutions than HD (4k etc), but that is not within your price range anyway.
Personally, I would get largest HD display I can afford. I had good luck even with cheaper, off-brand, names in the past.
Or, if you can find it in this price range, used Apple Cinema display, might be also good choice. I have an old one and it works very well for me even with my 2017 MBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.