Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tekfranz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 16, 2017
My playlists being greyed out using Chrysler UConnect. Some things are accessible like individual songs, but not the Artists, Albums or Playlists. Basically Carplay is greying out the Playlists, Albums and Songs.

One work around is to ask Siri to play the song or album for you.

Youtube Music does work for me a bit better.

So I tested this again after activating an Apple Music subscription.
I received a message stating Cellular Data was off when I asked Siri to play Christmas Music.

So now that I have the Apple Music Subscription I got options to enable Streaming, High Quality Streaming and Downloads under Apple Music Settings. Settings ->Music ->Cellular Data.

It seems like CarPlay wants to use the internet to fetch Album info. Since there is no subscription, there is no internet connection for Apple Music.

So unfortunately it seems like an Apple Music subscription is needed to make playlist accessible in Car Play.

It would be good if this bug were fixed so non-Apple Music users could get to their music.

tekfranz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 16, 2017
My playlists being greyed out using Chrysler UConnect. Some things are accessible like individual songs, but not the Artists, Albums or Playlists. Basically Carplay is greying out the Playlists, Albums and Songs.

One work around is to ask Siri to play the song or album for you.

Youtube Music does work for me a bit better.

So I tested this again after activating an Apple Music subscription.
I received a message stating Cellular Data was off when I asked Siri to play Christmas Music.

So now that I have the Apple Music Subscription I got options to enable Streaming, High Quality Streaming and Downloads under Apple Music Settings. Settings ->Music ->Cellular Data.

It seems like CarPlay wants to use the internet to fetch Album info. Since there is no subscription, there is no internet connection for Apple Music.

So unfortunately it seems like an Apple Music subscription is needed to make playlist accessible in Car Play.

It would be good if this bug were fixed so non-Apple Music users could get to their music.
I have confirmed that when using iTunes Match Albums are Greyed out in Car Play unless Cellular Data is on in Settings -> Music. Next thing I need to do is confirm the Greyed out Albums are actually downloaded on my device.

tekfranz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 16, 2017
I have confirmed that when using iTunes Match Albums are Greyed out in Car Play unless Cellular Data is on in Settings -> Music. Next thing I need to do is confirm the Greyed out Albums are actually downloaded on my device.
I have confirmed that the music was downloaded and Cellular Data and iTunes Match were active. It would seem that Car Play does not work correctly with iTunes Match by itself without Apple Music.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.