Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HazeAndHahmahneez

macrumors regular
Original poster
Greetings earthlings,

Alright, so over the past several years I’ve grown from indifferent to skeptical to wary to downright disdainful of google and any and all google products. When they bought out YouTube that one hurt. My favorite website, now monitored and powered by the great nosey spy dwellers “Smoogle” as I prefer to call them; and why not, just as Smeagle has his “precious” ring, so too does google have their “precious” personal data harvesting. You get the point.

So, it’s with unease and discontent that I see my child go to school under the umbrella of Google Classroom software. Ugh. We recently purchased a MacBook Air so no more google laptop, so that’s a positive start in the right direction. Are there any alternatives to google classroom that they could use for school? I’d love to bring my concerns before her teachers and or principles to see if there is any way around her being monitored by that pesky near omnipresent snooping entity, but I prefer not to be a tin foil hat wearer, who is assumed to get his opinions from YouTube videos by light of the midnight moon. Perhaps somebody out there knows of some reputable websites that has covered google’s shady dealings and the practice of selling people’s personal data and habits for their own corporate greed and downright gossipy know-it-all-ism inferiority complex (evidence of such a complex is seen in their recent Apple-targeting ads). If so, it would be of great assistance to this endeavor. Thank you for your time. Peace, safety and security to all.

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
There is Canvas and Ekadence. But from grumblings I hear from teacher friends neither is a panacea. Maybe of the three ( goggle classroom, canvas, ekadence), canvas is slightly better 🤔

• Love
Reactions: HazeAndHahmahneez

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
If you read, memorize and comprehend all the information on this commonsense.org page as well as all the information on all the linked websites it contains then you will probably be equipped to make an argument one way or another on Google Classroom. You'll also likely know more on the subject than anyone at the school! Otherwise, you're probably just going to look like an someone that only has a bias based on anecdotal information.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Greetings earthlings,

Alright, so over the past several years I’ve grown from indifferent to skeptical to wary to downright disdainful of google and any and all google products. When they bought out YouTube that one hurt. My favorite website, now monitored and powered by the great nosey spy dwellers “Smoogle” as I prefer to call them; and why not, just as Smeagle has his “precious” ring, so too does google have their “precious” personal data harvesting. You get the point.

So, it’s with unease and discontent that I see my child go to school under the umbrella of Google Classroom software. Ugh. We recently purchased a MacBook Air so no more google laptop, so that’s a positive start in the right direction. Are there any alternatives to google classroom that they could use for school? I’d love to bring my concerns before her teachers and or principles to see if there is any way around her being monitored by that pesky near omnipresent snooping entity, but I prefer not to be a tin foil hat wearer, who is assumed to get his opinions from YouTube videos by light of the midnight moon. Perhaps somebody out there knows of some reputable websites that has covered google’s shady dealings and the practice of selling people’s personal data and habits for their own corporate greed and downright gossipy know-it-all-ism inferiority complex (evidence of such a complex is seen in their recent Apple-targeting ads). If so, it would be of great assistance to this endeavor. Thank you for your time. Peace, safety and security to all.
My son's school utilizes Seesaw, but I think that's a choice that's usually up to the school.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.