Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newmacfilm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2008
My wife is a freelance writer and does most of her work using Word, Excel and the web on a PC. She needs a new laptop and we're thinking of switching to a Macbook. Anyone use Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac? Is entourage the same as outlook essentially? This is all very foreign to me! Thanks for any input you can provide for a newbie looking to make a seamless switchover...

Shackler

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2007
behind you!
Get her a 17" Pro. :p

Entry level MB would be fine for all of that.
And dare i say even a Macbook Air would be better if thats in your price range.
BTW Office for the Mac is good and you wont have compatibility issue you *may* incur with iWork.

andrewdale

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Memphis, TN
My wife is a freelance writer and does most of her work using Word, Excel and the web on a PC. She needs a new laptop and we're thinking of switching to a Macbook. Anyone use Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac? Is entourage the same as outlook essentially? This is all very foreign to me! Thanks for any input you can provide for a newbie looking to make a seamless switchover...

Entourage is awesome.
Outlook is terrible.

And yeah, the entry level Macbook will do great. She won't need the boost in processor or even the DVD burning capabilities. Will she ever even know? Nah!

What a good husband to convert his wife over to Macs. :)

(EDITED PART)

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that Office for Mac is great. I'm using it in every class and love it.

(END EDITED PART)

Kalafut

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2008
pocatello

i have mac office 08 and it works great if not better than on a pc. i would purchase the macbook, you will not regret it.

i know alot of people who like pages a lot more though. either way win, win

newmacfilm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2008
come to think of it, entourage/outlook won't really be used b/c she's not using it with any sort of work email server. but she does want a good calendar, and the ability to grow into making her own newsletters...looks like word 08 might help with that...not sure if pages is integratable with Word?

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
Macbook all the way!

I won't pay M$ for their buggy, bloated, overpriced office suite. I use the free NeoOffice and I've never had a problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.