Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nemvu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2020
Hi All. I have a battery replacement scheduled for an iPhone 8 and need some clarification on backing up and making certain I have a copy of my stuff.

I completed a backup through iTunes to my PC. I understand it’s encrypted so I just can’t pull a single file or note from it.

I want to know if I have NOT used the icloud, how do I backup or create a copy of my notes, text msgs (not iMessage), file folder, ibooks (more like pdf’s and such), Firefox bookmarks, safari bookmarks etc, settings. I may have missed a topic or so, but you get the idea. It would probably be a good idea to have a copy of those items anyway.

As for the battery replacement, any tips or knowledge from your experience I should be aware of when at the store or thereafter. Anything I should look out for?

thank you.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I believe your backup to iTunes should include the apps you mentioned (that would be included with an iCloud backup if enabled). But I can't confirm it because this Apple support article doesn't mention the scenario of iCloud being disabled.

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
The iTunes backup saves everything from your phone. Including third-party apps, settings and etc.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Nemvu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2020
The iTunes backup saves everything from your phone. Including third-party apps, settings and etc.

Is there a setting I should double check or verify? Even notes, files and Firefox bookmarks?

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
Is there a setting I should double check or verify? Even notes, files and Firefox bookmarks?
Notes is a stock app so it will always be fully backup-ed on iTunes. Regarding the bookmarks, aren't they saved to your Firefox account? As well as your history and passwords. If that's the case then you don't have to worry about them.

If you have free time, you can test for yourself. Back up your phone from iTunes and then restore it. I just did it yesterday and can still confirm everything is in place (even my game scores and all of that stuff)

Reactions: Nemvu

Nemvu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2020
Notes is a stock app so it will always be fully backup-ed on iTunes. Regarding the bookmarks, aren't they saved to your Firefox account? As well as your history and passwords. If that's the case then you don't have to worry about them.

If you have free time, you can test for yourself. Back up your phone from iTunes and then restore it. I just did it yesterday and can still confirm everything is in place (even my game scores and all of that stuff)

thank you for the clarification. Much appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.