Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kingofsquid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2004
Hi. I have no more ethernet ports available on my Airport Extreme as I have one linked to a Vonage device. I am considering getting a Slingbox and need an extra ethernet port on the router to connect it. Would one of those five-port Ethernet switches work and allow me to use both Vonage and a Slingbox simultaneously? Or, if not, is there another solution?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Yes, a switch should work just fine, and the AirPort Extreme should be able to route items appropriately. I'd go with a gigabit one if you can, because they don't cost much more but are a better investment.

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
What's the point of having a gigabit switch if the router is only 100mbit? Your bottleneck will always be the router. I save myself the extra $$ and go for a cheapo 10/100 switch.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
What's the point of having a gigabit switch if the router is only 100mbit? Your bottleneck will always be the router. I save myself the extra $$ and go for a cheapo 10/100 switch.

Nope. If two computers are both on the same subnet (say 192.168.1.xxx), after communication is established a switch has the ability to transfer traffic between them without touching the router.

kingofsquid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2004
If I have a cable modem, an Airport Extreme, a Vonage adapter and a Slingbox, where do I place the switch?

Scenario 1: Cable modem to switch to Airport/Vonage/Slingbox

Scenario 2: Cable modem to Airport to switch to Vonage/Slingbox

Thanks.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Here's what I've got at home: The Netgear GS605

It's gigabit, works well and reliably, and visually matches my Airport Extreme. Plus at the moment it's basically $30 after rebate.

I've got that one, as well. It was quite a step up from the Linksys POS that it replaced.

Plugging most everything into the switch will allow better and possibly, faster communication between the devices (considering buffering), letting the extra, slower devices to be connected to the Airport Extreme itself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.