Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darthgeekonius

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2014
Delaware
I have a Mac Pro 4.1 -> 5.1 with 2 separate partitions one with High Sierra (10.13.6) on it and one with Mojave on it (somehow). Problem is my Rom is old and I want to update it. I've tried to redownload the full High Sierra install in order to trigger a firmware update and the same with Mojave all on the High Sierra partition. I always get to the part where it tells you it needs a firmware update. I click the shutdown icon to add the helper, put in my admin password, but then nothing happens no matter how many times I do that. So then I manually shut down the computer and hold the power button until I hear the long tone and the Mac firmware update never initializes I just go back to the log in menu.

I've tried this with just my GT 120 in and with my RX580 in to initiate Mojave, it doesn't work in any instance. What could I be doing wrong? Shouldn't the Mac shut itself down when you click the shutdown button in the installer when it says you need a firmware update?

Thanks in advance. Current specs:

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro5,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number of Processors: 2
Total Number of Cores: 8
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache (per Processor): 8 MB
Memory: 32 GB
Boot ROM Version: MP51.0084.B00
SMC Version (system): 1.39f5
SMC Version (processor tray): 1.39f5

darthgeekonius

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2014
Delaware
Followed step by step. Nothing happens after I give the install media permission to install the helper tool. It's supposed to install the helper tool and then shutdown the Mac. I can't get it to do this.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Followed step by step. Nothing happens after I give the install media permission to install the helper tool. It's supposed to install the helper tool and then shutdown the Mac. I can't get it to do this.

If you will move your discussion to the thread posted, many people will jump in and tell you how to resolve this. Post your problem in that thread.

Reactions: darthgeekonius

darthgeekonius

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2014
Delaware
If you will move your discussion to the thread posted, many people will jump in and tell you how to resolve this. Post your problem in that thread.

I've decided to try one last thing suggested first. I'm going to wipe the partition, install Sierra, and then try High Sierra upgrade/firmware again.

If that doesn't work, then I'll ask in that thread. Thanks!

Reactions: crjackson2134

bookemdano

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2011
I've decided to try one last thing suggested first. I'm going to wipe the partition, install Sierra, and then try High Sierra upgrade/firmware again.

If that doesn't work, then I'll ask in that thread. Thanks!

Do you have an extra SATA drive lying around you could use temporarily? It may not be your macOS partition but the EFI partition on your current disk that is the problem. So unless you can wipe your entire disk (instead of just a single partition) I think you'd have the best chance of success with the firmware update after installing HS onto a completely blank drive.

darthgeekonius

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2014
Delaware
Do you have an extra SATA drive lying around you could use temporarily? It may not be your macOS partition but the EFI partition on your current disk that is the problem. So unless you can wipe your entire disk (instead of just a single partition) I think you'd have the best chance of success with the firmware update after installing HS onto a completely blank drive.

Good point. I'll try that and see what happens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.