Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rawdawg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
Brooklyn
I have no idea why this tool isn't more common. Does anyone know of an extension or any other way to get a gradient tool for Apple Photos? It's the one tool that it's missing IMO.

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
Maybe something like Luminar Neo? I don’t use Photos (or Luminar) much any more, but at one point, Skylum had a decent integration via extension between their stuff and Photos and it does have a gradient mask.

rawdawg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
Brooklyn
Thanks for being the only person who had another to say regarding this. Maybe everyone just shells out the monthly tax for the Adobe subscription model, but I find it crazy nobody else seems to care about this tool as much as I do. Why do all these photo editing software options out there have the vignette filter standard but not a grad filter.

Unfortunately Luminar Neo costs more than even LR, so I'm still searching.

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
If you’re after cheap, free or non-subscription tools there are a few out there like Darktable (no experience with that myself). The challenge will be whether cheap/free software has the developers who also have the cycles to develop extensions for Photos. Maybe check out Affinity Photo, which has a gradient tool and is relatively cheap (when purchased separately) and currently non-subscription. It has Photos extensions, but not sure how far they play into Photos itself.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Thanks for being the only person who had another to say regarding this. Maybe everyone just shells out the monthly tax for the Adobe subscription model, but I find it crazy nobody else seems to care about this tool as much as I do. Why do all these photo editing software options out there have the vignette filter standard but not a grad filter.

Unfortunately Luminar Neo costs more than even LR, so I'm still searching.
Yup. I apply graduated ND filters in LR or with a Lee filter attached to the front of my lens.

Reactions: r.harris1

rawdawg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
Brooklyn
Thanks again for the replies.

I looked at Affinity and Darktable. I couldn't figure out if any extension they may offer has this tool. Apple Photos does everything I need, except this one tool.

At this point I'm just genuinely curious why no one else feels this way. I figured someone else must have been in this same situation. Doesn't anyone understand how incredibly useful a grad filter is? I could use it in literally every photo somewhere.

herbert7265

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2023
Mexico
Maybe I am totally wrong, but could it be that
- graduated ND filters are mostly used, either during shooting or in post processing, by a little more serious amateurs or pros, less so by casual shooters
- people using graduated ND filters also use more “sophisticated“ post processing programs, like for example Adobe LrC, LR, PS, C1, DXO and what ever else
- while Apple Photos is more used by the more casual shooters who do not have the real need for such a feature

Herbert

Reactions: Clix Pix

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
I use gradient masks a fair amount in my tools, or as AFB says above, I also use literal grad filters (rarely). Outside of iPhone-only photographers, not sure how many people on this forum use Apple Photos, to be honest, which is maybe why you aren’t getting the responses you feel you should be. I know a goodish number of us are using other tools that already have that feature. It’d be nice in Photos, for sure, don’t get me wrong, but I don’t see it happening soon. Masking and localized changes aren’t anything Apple have even hinted at wanting to take on, as far as I know. Once Aperture went away, I went elsewhere for photography software.

Reactions: Clix Pix

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I have and still occasionally do hop into Luminar Neo but to be honest, I've never noticed whether or not they have an ND Grad tool or not. Not a landscape photographer, I just don't shoot much that requires or would benefit from this.

I shoot primarily with dedicated Sony full-frame mirrorless cameras rather than my iPhone. The latter is mostly for the one-off snapshot here-and-there when I'm out and about and see something interesting, or a test photo (usually at home) to determine if I want to take an idea further.

I also don't use Apple Photos for anything, nor did I ever use its predecessor, Apple iPhoto. I did use Aperture (RIP!!) until Apple took it away. For the past several years and currently for the majority of my image processing/editing needs I use DXO PhotoLab (now at v.6), with occasionally a visit to Topaz Photo AI for certain things as well and Luminar Neon for a couple of other functions that I like there to use when they're needed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.