Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macuser90x

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2016
Hello all, hopefully this is in the right section. First and foremost have Yosemite. if that matters. I seem to have a problem. I recently brought an 8gb flash drive in order to install the Mountain Lion OS. I brought it through the store few months ago. I'm trying to use DiskMaker X. Everything starts out fine and it starts copying the needed files or what have you. When all the sudden I get this "The disk could not be created because of an error: An error occured: -10006. Finder got an error: Can’t set folder "Utilities" of disk "OS X Mountain Lion Install Disk" to {413, 264}." Does anyone know of a fix or what this actually means? Thanks in advance.

MRxROBOT

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2016
01000011 01000001
There are other methods for creating a bootable Mountain Lion disk. if DiskMaker X is giving you problems let's just move on to the next method.

Method 1: createinsallmedia

(You can use this method within 10.10 (Yosemite) but you will not be able to use this method once you are running 10.8 (Mountain Lion) as this software was not introduced until 10.9 (Mavericks). At which point you will need to use Method 2 detailed below)
  • Rename your desired flash drive "MLInstaller"
  • Launch the Terminal application, found in /Applications/Utilities/ and enter the following command
    Code:
    sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MLInstaller --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mountain\ Lion.app --nointeraction
  • You’ll then see the following screen text in the Terminal:
    Code:
    Erasing Disk: 0%… 10%… 20%… 30%…100%…
    Copying installer files to disk…
    Copy complete.
    Making disk bootable…
    Copying boot files…
    Copy complete.
    Done.
That's it you're done.

Method 2: Disk Utility
  • Secondary click on the installer and click 'Show Package Contents'.
  • Open 'Contents' folder, open 'SharedSupport' folder next.
  • You will now see a disk image called 'InstallESD.dmg'. (Move this finder window to the side)
  • Open the Disk Utility App which will be found in /Application/Utilities
  • Insert you flash drive and make sure it's formatted to 'Mac OS Extended (Journaled)'
  • Now you are going to drag 'InstallESD.dmg' into the white pane on the left side of Disk Utility
  • Select your Flash Drive, than click 'Restore' on the main window.
  • Drag the 'InstallESD.dmg' into the source field and select your flash drive as the destination drive.

If you get the "Could not restore – Invalid argument" error at the end of the restore process, you can safely ignore it and move on.

Last edited:

macuser90x

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2016
There are other methods for creating a bootable Mountain Lion disk. if DiskMaker X is giving you problems let's just move on to the next method.

Method 1: createinsallmedia

(You can use this method within 10.10 (Yosemite) but you will not be able to use this method once you are running 10.8 (Mountain Lion) as this software was not introduced until 10.9 (Mavericks). At which point you will need to use Method 2 detailed below)
  • Rename your desired flash drive "MLInstaller"
  • Launch the Terminal application, found in /Applications/Utilities/ and enter the following command
    Code:
    sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MLInstaller --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mountain\ Lion.app --nointeraction
  • You’ll then see the following screen text in the Terminal:
    Code:
    Erasing Disk: 0%… 10%… 20%… 30%…100%…
    Copying installer files to disk…
    Copy complete.
    Making disk bootable…
    Copying boot files…
    Copy complete.
    Done.
That's it you're done.

Method 2: Disk Utility
  • Secondary click on the installer and click 'Show Package Contents'.
  • Open 'Contents' folder, open 'SharedSupport' folder next.
  • You will now see a disk image called 'InstallESD.dmg'. (Move this finder window to the side)
  • Open the Disk Utility App which will be found in /Application/Utilities
  • Insert you flash drive and make sure it's formatted to 'Mac OS Extended (Journaled)'
  • Now you are going to drag 'InstallESD.dmg' into the white pane on the left side of Disk Utility
  • Select your Flash Drive, than click 'Restore' on the main window.
  • Drag the 'InstallESD.dmg' into the source field and select your flash drive as the destination drive.

If you get the "Could not restore – Invalid argument" error at the end of the restore process, you can safely ignore it and move on.
Thank you for replying but after I dragged InstallESD.dmg' as the source it won't let me click restore. It's greyed out. What do I select next? Never mind I missed the part about the destination. It's doing it's thing now. I'll report back once I finish it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.