Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

devastator777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2005
New York City
Hello there roomies I have a problem with my dual 867 pm, I unhooked for 2 months and when I turned on the power it went into asking for a password, the problem is I had my mac for so long that I forgot. I tried also putting a panther OS into the drive it still asks me for a password. Is there a way or am I screwed? Please help, many thanks in advance.

Regards,

Daniel:(

dragula53

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
devastator777 said:
Hello there roomies I have a problem with my dual 867 pm, I unhooked for 2 months and when I turned on the power it went into asking for a password, the problem is I had my mac for so long that I forgot. I tried also putting a panther OS into the drive it still asks me for a password. Is there a way or am I screwed? Please help, many thanks in advance.

Regards,

you did hold down C when trying to boot off of the disk, right?

No offense intended, because I have never been asked for an admin password when reinstalling an OS.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
devastator777 said:

Regards,

boot from the tiger dvd there will be a utility to reset you password.

edit: nix that you have an openfirmware problem

Will Cheyney

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2005
United Kingdom
Put in your Mac OS X installation disc, restart whilst holding down the 'C' key.
Once loaded, select 'Password reset' from one of the menus.

Follow the instructions and you'll be able to reset the password no problem!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.