Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
ok, i just bought a 400GB hard drive from Fry's (SATA 2)

it was an OEM drive, so no box or anything.

i put it in my mac pro, turn it on, and it makes this ticking noise (pretty loud). after a very slow bootup, it doesn't see the drive at all!

anything i can do? or take it back?

thanks

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
thanks guys for the quick responses. not exactly what i wanted to hear, but looks like i gotta take it back tomorrow.

thanks again

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006
Did you even try formatting it? The "ticking" noise might just be seek noise. If you try formatting it and it's defective, it will fail.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
well just to let ya'll know, i exchanged the bad drive for a new one. the new one works, so i guess i got a good deal (400GB for $99)

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
well just to let ya'll know, i exchanged the bad drive for a new one. the new one works, so i guess i got a good deal (400GB for $99)

wow good deal! What type of drive is it? I payed $120 cdn for my 320 gb drive.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
wow good deal! What type of drive is it? I payed $120 cdn for my 320 gb drive.

Yah seriously that is an amazing deal for 400 gb. Details please lol.

yeah, great deal! how'd you swing that?

i got it at my local Fry's Electronics store. great place by the way. (i never go to best buy anymore)

they have weekly specials, and that was one of them. the drive didn't come with a box or cable or anything, but in my mac pro i don't need a cable anyways.

the drive is 7200, SATA 2

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
I agree Fry's is a great place to buy some nice computer hardware at bargain prices.

the only negative aspect of Fry's is that they are known to put open box, returns, and defective products back into shrink wrap and sell them as new. But as long as you can return and get a working one its awesome.

If you have PATA, here's a similar deal: http://shop2.outpost.com/product/4596287?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I agree Fry's is a great place to buy some nice computer hardware at bargain prices.

the only negative aspect of Fry's is that they are known to put open box, returns, and defective products back into shrink wrap and sell them as new. But as long as you can return and get a working one its awesome.

you are right about that. my friend went with me to get a lightscribe external burner. he was planning on spending $100 on one. they had a refurbished and opened boxed one for 37.99. he bought, but at the checkout we opened the box, and it didn't have the power supply cable!:eek: so they sent us back to where we got, it was the last one, and the manager let us take the cord from the next model up (also refurbished).

then when we were in my truck, we realized that it didn't have any disks with it (no software or drivers)

we go back in there, and finally they gave us the disks from another refurbished (different one than before, the one that we took the power cable out of didn't have any disks either!:eek: )

but after all of that, he got an external lightscribe drive for $38. pretty good. he said it works fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.