Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Diogones

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
Hey all,

I have an iPod Touch 64GB 3rd gen, and I would like to be able to hook it up to two different TVs. One is an older, analog composite TV, and the other is a new, component and HDMI TV. I've done some research on the matter, but I'm still confused, especially with some of Apple's terminology. My questions are as follows:

1.) What is the difference between the iPod AV cable and the Apple Composite cable? Don't both of them connect to the red yellow white ports? Is it that the iPod cable only attaches through the audio jack, and the Apple cable attaches through the charger jack?

2.) What is the difference between the Apple Universal Dock and the iPod Universal Dock? I know the iPod dock has an S-video port, and the Apple dock uses the Apple remote, but will I get the same hookups with both? I'm referencing the Apple Support Article HT1454 for my information.

According to the table in the article, the iPod Touch 3rd gen will work with the audio jack AV cable, if it is attached with the iPod dock, but not the Apple universal dock. I'm not sure why that would be, but that's what I've noted.

Should I just get the Apple Universal Dock like this one and then get the Apple Composite and Component cables for maximum compatibility?

Finally, could I use this Apple Composite cable, even though it says it is only compatible with the iPod Touch 1st and 2nd gen, if I use the Universal dock with it?

Last edited:

Mark K

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2011
Why buy any dock?

Just buy an Apple composite cable for the old tv and an Apple component cable to be used with the new tv

Ebay has them cheap.

----------

And if the cable works for the ipad/iphone it will work for the touch.

The AV cable that plugs into the audio jack doesn't work for the touch.

Diogones

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
Thanks for your helpful reply, Mark. The reason why I was getting a dock was because I can use an S-video cable with the iTouch, if I use the Ipod Universal Dock. The other reason is because I can use the infrared receiver on it, which would allow me to manipulate the iPod with the Apple Remote.

However, I've decided to take your advice, and I have ordered the component cable that hooks into the iPod's USB port, because as you said, the audio jack only works with the older models. Fortunately, component will work with a composite TV, as it is a similar connection. If it works, then I will have knocked out two TVs with one cable, so to speak. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.