Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

titovenok88

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2019
Dear colleagues! I am searching for the device for everyday work. I am working with tons of emails and different types of docs (Word, Excel, PP, Acrobat, etc.), messengers (WhatsApp, Viber, Telegram).
I have iMac at home and Windows PC in the office, but I have realized, that I’m always out of office and home, work “on the road”.
Now I am using the iPhone XS Max with smart battery case, but seems for me, that I need bigger screen and keyboard to be more productive.
All my colleagues (about 6000 people, I am working in the governmental sphere) use Windows 8 PC, Ms Office 13 and Outlook 13 for email. In my everyday working life I am communicating with them. Sometimes, when I use my iPhone, iMac for work, my colleagues suffer from inappropriate file format, etc. F.e. rar files, pdf file size or format in MS Word files.
That is why I think, I need Windows laptop: MS Surface Laptop 2 or something like Vaio SX12, or Thinkpad X390... But what is the most appropriate variant? What can You suggest to buy? Many thanks!

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
I don't know how much you wish to spend, but if you're looking for a good Windows notebook computer, you might want to take a look at what Lenovo has to offer. You can go to their site and browse around. All their notebook computers are top notch and can be configured the way you like. You can buy cheaper, but if you want quality, I recommend Lenovo.

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/pc

Reactions: raqball

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
You may also want to consider the HP Elitebook 830 G6. It offers Sure View 3rd generation. Which is a physical privacy screen you can turn on. That reduces the field of view. Making it more difficult for someone to look at your screen from an angle.

There aren't any reviews of the G6 series yet. But the prior generations of the Elitebook 800 series are generally well received. Although the keyboards don't offer as much travel as their Dell Latitude or Lenovo Thinkpad counterparts. It still offers better key travel than the average ultrabook. Perhaps they fixed this with the G6.

The Thinkpad X390 has a keyboard size problem. Some of the keys are smaller than on it's 14" counterpart (T490s). Which can be a problem with touch typing. Although these are seldom used keys to the right of the spacebar and left of the enter key.

Based on the models you've listed. I assume you aren't interested in pricier models like the Elitebook 1030 series or Thinkpad X1. Really at this price range the differences are more nuanced. Like a slightly firmer keyboard, even nicer screen, slight decrease in weight and small boosts in battery life.

Reactions: kazmac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.