Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MicrosoftApple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2014
Hi there

First post here after a LOOOOOOOOOOONG while

So recently I rescued a Rev A iMac G3, running Mac 0S 8.6 and the problem I have at the moment is, my optical drive doesn't work and finding a second unit to be used as a spare is a bit troublesome as in the country i'm from (Bangladesh) these are very very rare to come by
So I was wondering if there are any alternatives I can use so transfer files such as games or software and maybe an os update in the machine
Thank you

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Hi there

First post here after a LOOOOOOOOOOONG while

So recently I rescued a Rev A iMac G3, running Mac 0S 8.6 and the problem I have at the moment is, my optical drive doesn't work and finding a second unit to be used as a spare is a bit troublesome as in the country i'm from (Bangladesh) these are very very rare to come by
So I was wondering if there are any alternatives I can use so transfer files such as games or software and maybe an os update in the machine
Thank you

Any external USB CD/DVD drive should work. Also a USB hard drive in HFS or HFS+ (Mac OS Extended). You may also use Zip drives. I'm pretty sure it can also read FAT32 formatted disks at least with the right options chosen when the OS was installed. Not sure about Flash drives.

Reactions: Project Alice

davisdelo

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2019
Fort Worth, TX
Any external USB CD/DVD drive should work. Also a USB hard drive in HFS or HFS+ (Mac OS Extended). You may also use Zip drives. I'm pretty sure it can also read FAT32 formatted disks at least with the right options chosen when the OS was installed. Not sure about Flash drives.
I think 8.6 has built in support for mass storage (usb flash). Fat32 might bring resource fork issues with it, depending on the file.

Reactions: Project Alice

MicrosoftApple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2014
Tried a USB DVD Drive but sadly the machine doesn't recognize it
As for a USB Flash drive, it did read the drive but however everytime I try to transfer a Stuffit file, I keep getting an error saying something about the expandable being extracted by a PC so it won't work here
Sorry about my terrible memory but i'll try posting a picture regarding it here

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Tried a USB DVD Drive but sadly the machine doesn't recognize it
As for a USB Flash drive, it did read the drive but however everytime I try to transfer a Stuffit file, I keep getting an error saying something about the expandable being extracted by a PC so it won't work here
Sorry about my terrible memory but i'll try posting a picture regarding it here

Was the flash drive formatted for HFS+?

Reactions: MicrosoftApple

MicrosoftApple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2014
Apologies for the noobie questions
Back when I had a slot load Indigo, transferring files were a breeze considering the cd drive worked and all i needed to do was burn everything via iso's in the cd's

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
You might be able to with a trial version of Transmac. I'm just assuming FAT32 is causing an issue as @davisdelo alluded to.

Are you trying to unstuff the file on the Flash drive or moving it to the Macintosh HD first?

MicrosoftApple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2014
You might be able to with a trial version of Transmac. I'm just assuming FAT32 is causing an issue as @davisdelo alluded to.

Are you trying to unstuff the file on the Flash drive or moving it to the Macintosh HD first?
I'm moving the files from the usb to the Mac's HD then trying to unstuff them

MicrosoftApple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2014
g31.jpg
g32.jpg
g33.jpg

So good news is, I can finally have a pen drive to transfer files
Bad news is, the files I want to install aren't working and are giving me this error
Even unpacked one of the stuffit files to see if it would run but I was wrong

micahgartman

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2005
Houston, TX, USA
If you can find one, try running a CD-ROM drive-cleaning disk through the drive. For example:

A 25 year old computer probably has a ton of dust, debris and other schmutz that could prevent the drive's head from reading a disc.

MicrosoftApple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2014
If you can find one, try running a CD-ROM drive-cleaning disk through the drive. For example:

A 25 year old computer probably has a ton of dust, debris and other schmutz that could prevent the drive's head from reading a disc.
will try doing that

i'll keep this thread updated especially those who will be facing these problems with a Revision A G3

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
View attachment 1751032 View attachment 1751031 View attachment 1751030

So good news is, I can finally have a pen drive to transfer files
Bad news is, the files I want to install aren't working and are giving me this error
Even unpacked one of the stuffit files to see if it would run but I was wrong
I have read about problems with resource forks and non HFS volumes. I've never run into the issue myself, especially if it is properly compressed. I'm not sure what else would be causing that error.
Have you tried moving the compressed stuffit files to your iMac's HDD and then uncompressing them?

Do you have any other Macs or just this one? Where did you get the files you are trying to open? I am certain DoomLegacy is available on the macintosh garden if yours has become corrupt.

Reactions: TheShortTimer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.