Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amedias

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2008
Devon, UK
I had all sorts of issues trying to do that firmware update from older OS X releases, but has worked every time for me when done from El Cap (with SIP disabled)...

skizzo

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2018
I remember my first cMP firmware upgrade did not go so easy either. but just as Amedias posted above I think the macOS version matters possibly. I think I first tried doing it from Snow Leopard or was using an aftermarket HDD. When I attempted the firmware upgrade from El Captian and used the OEM HDD it worked fine. So I am not 100% sure if it was the HDD or macOS version, or combo, but I can vouch it worked every time going from 4,1 to 5,1 when doing it on El Captain

Woof Woof

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2004
MacOS version definitely matters. I recently tried 10.13 (a drive cloned into a 4,1 cMP), 10.6. Both failed. 10.11 worked fine.

Fnhscar17s

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2019
I had all sorts of issues trying to do that firmware update from older OS X releases, but has worked every time for me when done from El Cap (with SIP disabled)...
Thanks I got it bud. I took my drive out of my macbook pro with 10.10.5 and attached it to one of my sleds and as adaptor. Boom worked like a charm onto figure out windows 10

cbtromba

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2020
I'm also having a problem flashing 4,1 to 5,1. I've got an early 2009 quad 2.66 single processor. It's stock except for upgraded ram. I CANNOT get this thing to flash. Disabled SIP, mounted the dmg file, etc but I keep getting Error 5530. Not sure what to do. I've replaced my old RAM, wiped the disc and did a fresh install of El Cap. I read a thread that the Boot ROM version - MP41.0081.B08 - might be the problem??? I know I can get this done... somebody please help!!! Thanks!

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
I'm also having a problem flashing 4,1 to 5,1. I've got an early 2009 quad 2.66 single processor. It's stock except for upgraded ram. I CANNOT get this thing to flash. Disabled SIP, mounted the dmg file, etc but I keep getting Error 5530. Not sure what to do. I've replaced my old RAM, wiped the disc and did a fresh install of El Cap. I read a thread that the Boot ROM version - MP41.0081.B08 - might be the problem??? I know I can get this done... somebody please help!!! Thanks!

Supposedly you have to have the firmware dmg downloaded and mounted. I just upgraded a Mac Pro 4,1 (Dual processors, 8 core) to 5,1 firmware 20 minutes ago. Just updated the firmware again with the High Sierra bootable USB.. Instaling High Sierra right now.

I'm using this guide. Worked for me. I was running brand new install of El Capitan just like you. I got a 5530 error but that was before I disabled SIP and mounted the firmware file.

dylanlikebob

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2020
Does anybody know of someone in the Houston area who does this firmware upgrade for a reasonable price? I'm at my wits end.

cbtromba

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2020
Supposedly you have to have the firmware dmg downloaded and mounted. I just upgraded a Mac Pro 4,1 (Dual processors, 8 core) to 5,1 firmware 20 minutes ago. Just updated the firmware again with the High Sierra bootable USB.. Instaling High Sierra right now.

I'm using this guide. Worked for me. I was running brand new install of El Capitan just like you. I got a 5530 error but that was before I disabled SIP and mounted the firmware file.
Which guide are you using?? I used the one from iFixit... same as Netkas I think. My problem may be that (1) my serial number starts with "H" which may mean a refurb machine, although I remember buying it new or (2) my boot ROM is B08. Any help is appreciated... I REALLY want to upgrade this thing. I know it's relatively easy to do... something is hanging this up...

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Does anybody know of someone in the Houston area who does this firmware upgrade for a reasonable price? I'm at my wits end.
Avoid El Capitan, use Yosemite will make your life easier.

Also, put all related files on the desktop.

It should be very straight forward.

Anyway, make sure you backup your current BootROM before you do that. Once you flashed the BootROM to 5,1. Some info in your 4,1 BootROM will be lost permanently.

dylanlikebob

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2020
How do I go back to Yosemite? Or do you know of a working link with the OS I can put on a bootable drive?

I tried downloading one that I thought would work but then says

this copy of the "install os x" application is too old to be opened on this version of OS X

skizzo

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2018
How do I go back to Yosemite? Or do you know of a working link with the OS I can put on a bootable drive?

I tried downloading one that I thought would work but then says

this copy of the "install os x" application is too old to be opened on this version of OS X

make a bootable USB installer is one way to go

try searching for instructions on that, but for example here is one

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.