Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBoss101

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2015
Hello everyone.
I need some help on account of my MacBook.
It's a MacBook 4, 1 with 2GB RAM, and a 2.5GHz intel core 2 duo.
It works fine, except for one thing.
I read about installing mac os x mountain lion on 'unsupported' macs. Mine meets the requirements. The tool Im using is MLPostFactor.
the problem is this: i bought the mountain lion installesd. i didn't actually get the required .app from the mac app store.
so, i guess what im asking boils down to this.
I need help converting the installesd.dmg to a usable .app package.
thanks for the help as always guys!

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
Completely beside the point, but I've got the same model and I've kept it on Snow Leopard as far as OS X goes, but I have found that it will actually run Windows 10 without a hitch! This opens up full compatibility with current software like Office 2016, latest versions of Chrome (dropping 10.6-8 support later this year), latest iTunes to sync iOS 9 devices, etc.

So if you are needing some newer software to run on it, Windows is an option. MLPF works, but the video drivers just aren't quite there FYI. I had mine up to Mavericks a while back but it just wasn't worth it. Snow Leopard runs the best on this era Mac, and so does Windows 7/8.1/10 with all the drivers installed. Pair it with an SSD and it's a capable old Mac.

Also the main thread for MLPF is HERE. Might be able to get some help in there.

l3T85gd.png

Reactions: djlukass

iBoss101

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2015
Completely beside the point, but I've got the same model and I've kept it on Snow Leopard as far as OS X goes, but I have found that it will actually run Windows 10 without a hitch! This opens up full compatibility with current software like Office 2016, latest versions of Chrome (dropping 10.6-8 support later this year), latest iTunes to sync iOS 9 devices, etc.

So if you are needing some newer software to run on it, Windows is an option. MLPF works, but the video drivers just aren't quite there FYI. I had mine up to Mavericks a while back but it just wasn't worth it. Snow Leopard runs the best on this era Mac, and so does Windows 7/8.1/10 with all the drivers installed. Pair it with an SSD and it's a capable old Mac.

l3T85gd.png
Really? i mean, i dont pay much attention to apple, but they said that windows 10 is unsupported!
how can i install windows 10?

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
Hello everyone.
I need some help on account of my MacBook.
It's a MacBook 4, 1 with 2GB RAM, and a 2.5GHz intel core 2 duo.
It works fine, except for one thing.
I read about installing mac os x mountain lion on 'unsupported' macs. Mine meets the requirements. The tool Im using is MLPostFactor.
the problem is this: i bought the mountain lion installesd. i didn't actually get the required .app from the mac app store.
so, i guess what im asking boils down to this.
I need help converting the installesd.dmg to a usable .app package.
thanks for the help as always guys!

You bought ML ESD? huh? If you bought it it would give you the app..
[doublepost=1454783178][/doublepost]

l3T85gd.png

Absolutely this. I have a 2,1 and I gave up on SL and just went with 10 Pro. Works exactly like its supposed to. Love it.

navt

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2008

l3T85gd.png

Clean install or boot camp? I'm thinking of passing on my MB 4,1 to my kids and really like the parental controls in Windows 10. So much better than OSX offering.

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
Clean install or boot camp? I'm thinking of passing on my MB 4,1 to my kids and really like the parental controls in Windows 10. So much better than OSX offering.
I clean installed Lion, then made a new partition in Disk Utility (FAT) for use with Windows 10. I then burned a Windows 10 ISO and simply Option booted to the DVD and installed Windows on the new partition after formatting to NTFS. I then let it run updates and grab the latest Intel GMA drivers and such. Then grabbed the BootCamp drivers and installed them though CMD in admin mode to bypass Apple's system checks, and viola! Fully working dual boot with Lion and Windows 10. You could format everything I suppose and have only Windows if you wanted. Another way is using BootCamp to install Windows 7 and upgrade to 10 if you don't have a key. I updated my iMac (2007) from 7 to 8.1 to 10 and it's all still working fine.

There is a great guide over on Reddit that explains it all in great detail with links too, so instead of rewriting it I'll just link it :)

IMG_2998.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: navt
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.