Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Diggi

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2009
Minneapolis
Trying to revive a 2010 Mac Pro, 5,1 with 144.00 boot rom. I bought a Startech NVME adapter card and 2, 500GB WD Blue NVME drives.

I created a single RAID0 drive for them in DiskUtility, but...... it shows up an an "External" drive.

I have not found a way to make them "internal". I've searched and read about a "tool" of some sort to help with this, but cannot find a download link to anything that will help me fix this, and ultimately allow me to install a new OS to this RAID0 configured boot drive.

Can anyone help me make this NVME "internal" as opposed to external?

Many thanks!

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany

basically install an os to a single drive and clone it to the Raid set - but be prepared that every system update will break the os and you will need to do it to a single drive again.

Diggi

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2009
Minneapolis

basically install an os to a single drive and clone it to the Raid set - but be prepared that every system update will break the os and you will need to do it to a single drive again.
Dang. I'd read that the read/ write speeds would be far greater with the nvme as a Raid compared to a single drive or plain old SSD.

Sounds like there might not be an easy way to make this RAID0 as my bootdrive and have it seen as internal.

Is there no other solution?

Thanks for your help.

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Dang. I'd read that the read/ write speeds would be far greater with the nvme as a Raid compared to a single drive or plain old SSD.
Well, they are faster than an old SSD - I just check mine (Samsung) on a Sonnet card in MP 7,1 and got 3131.8mb/s write and 3050.3mb/s read.

You still do get a benefit, even without raid. It's also faster than the standard Apple 1TB SSD in my MP7,1.

Diggi

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2009
Minneapolis
OK, got it. Is there an easy way to at least make my Mac see them as “internal” as opposed to external?

Last edited:

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
I dont get where you see a drop in performance.

if you want to use a newer system than Mojave or want it by a gui you will check out the OpenCore variants OpenCore Legacy Patcher and MyBootMgr.

I wont recommend raid for a boot drive. But thats another story.

MP7,1 speeds are not comparable as it has a PCI3.0 bus where the classic has a PCI2.0 bus.

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
On 5,1 it was about 1800mb/s IIRC. If set as a two drive raid it was much faster still but no use for booting the OS.

Opencore used to make them appear as internal on my old 5,1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.