Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M0bi0us0ne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2018
NYC
Long story short I decided clean the fans of my late 2016 MBP and, since the laptop was already opened, i also opted to replace the thermal paste, now after having reassemble it the left fan is constantly spinning at 100% while the right one spins at minimum speed even under heavy load.
I tried to disassemble it again and put it back together but the problem persists.
While working on the laptop I was grounded and the logic board was sitting and an antistatic mat .
Does anyone know whats going on?

I'm getting code PPF003 from the apple diagnostic software which is fan related and, before anyone asks, there is no water damage on the laptop and I'm pretty sure I did not short out any temperature sensor since the values look normal (see attached image).
The other thing that makes me think it is not a shorted sensor is that only one fan is running at 100% and I can control the other one with 3rd party apps while the one at 100% is unresponsive.

https://imgur.com/fxio8Mf
fxio8Mf

Thanks

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.