Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Has anybody found out that texts in Word 2019 VL do not show any longer in red or green the writing mistakes in any installed language? :confused:

I do not know if it affects all users of Microsoft Office 2019 for mac but it is a problem in my MP 6.1 after upgrading from 10.13.6 to 10,14.6.
It was very handy to let correct mistakes (for instance before sending a mail message in Outlook) by copying that in Word and choosing in the upper menu the language of that text.
Now it does not work any longer.
I can see the language dictionnaries still there but they are not active and I am warned when opening an existing Word document of their inactivity.

Could it be because of the VL version I believe I have?
I have it (as far as I understand) as a volume license activated version but actually I am alone, no corporation and nobody in charge to help me.
It worked in that way for the activation.
I have no intention and cannot afford just for that problem to buy any other Microsoft Office for mac.
If no solution is found I will use the Writer of LibreOffice which has also dictionnaries in several languages and is free of charge.
Or maybe I install Word 2016 as well, if that is possible, and see if that Word reaches the dictionnaries and does correction of mistakes.

Any help and suggestion what could solve my problem would be very appreciated! :) Thank you very much in advance.

Last edited:

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Have you clicked on Preferences > Spelling & Grammar and do you get a box that looks like:

TinyGrab Screen Shot 11-2-19, 12.18.34 PM.png

If so, check the boxes that are appropriate for you.

Lou

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Thank you very much Lou for your permanent Goodwill?
However I am ashame to confess I do not know where to find the Prefernces table you showed me whit grammar and spelling sets (hoping there is not a different one for Microsoft :confused:
In the Apple top menu there are below preferences icons of all kind but I do not find the table you showed me.
My Mojave is of course German but still I should find what you showed me.
Kindly help me Lou, please!:oops:
Heartily thanks
Ed

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^OK - In the Main Menu, under "Word" in the far left, to the right of the Apple. Click, and scroll down to "Preferences" (second line item, after "About Microsoft Word". Click on "Preferences".

TinyGrab Screen Shot 11-3-19, 12.23.43 PM.png

You'll get a box that looks like this:

TinyGrab Screen Shot 11-3-19, 10.15.44 AM.png

Click on "Spelling & Grammar" fifth from the left, top row. You will then get the box in my preceding post.

Lou

Last edited:

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Thank you very much for your kind help Lou.!
Is there a way to obtain that mails in Outlook use those dictionnaries as well?
For the moment I copy the text of the mail in a Word page, have it checked for mistakes and copy it back to the mail to be sent.
If you know a direct way please let me know it.
Thank you very much!
ed

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^In Outlook follow the exact same steps, and you'll get this box:

TinyGrab Screen Shot 11-3-19, 7.30.04 PM.png

Lou

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.