Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Thank you in advance for any help.
I upgraded my MP 6.1 End 2013 from High Sierra to Mojave 10.14.6 in October.
I installed it first in an external drive, formatted the inner drive in HFS+ and cloned to it from the external drive.
To continue to use some Applications important to me I needed the Mojave in HFS+.
I made an external clone of that initial Mojave and all worked fine.
In the meantime I installed some new Applications and made frequent TimeMachine backups, the last one 2 days ago.
Now I realized that at a certain moment from October up to now my Mojave stopped seeing the inner loudspeaker and sound components of the system and I have no sound, not even from headphones.
It cannot be a hardware failure since my Bootcamp Windows has normal sound.
The initial chime is still heard.
Also booting from the October Mojave clone has sound as well.
Something in the system got corrupted.
I resented the PRAM and SMC with no result.
An Apple supporter suggested me to erase the inner drive by reinstalling Mojave from the TimeMachine.
However using a backup 2 weeks old proved useless. It had at that time already no sound.
To try TimeMachine backups further older one by one might take me several days.
Every Installation from TimeMachine takes several hours!
Besides the data will become older and older.
Is there a way to modify or erase something in the present soundless Mojave system that would recreate the sound recognition?
Any help would be very appreciated.
Thank you very much!

LuisN

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2013
Torres Vedras, Portugal
Thank you in advance for any help.
I upgraded my MP 6.1 End 2013 from High Sierra to Mojave 10.14.6 in October.
I installed it first in an external drive, formatted the inner drive in HFS+ and cloned to it from the external drive.
To continue to use some Applications important to me I needed the Mojave in HFS+.
I made an external clone of that initial Mojave and all worked fine.
In the meantime I installed some new Applications and made frequent TimeMachine backups, the last one 2 days ago.
Now I realized that at a certain moment from October up to now my Mojave stopped seeing the inner loudspeaker and sound components of the system and I have no sound, not even from headphones.
It cannot be a hardware failure since my Bootcamp Windows has normal sound.
The initial chime is still heard.
Also booting from the October Mojave clone has sound as well.
Something in the system got corrupted.
I resented the PRAM and SMC with no result.
An Apple supporter suggested me to erase the inner drive by reinstalling Mojave from the TimeMachine.
However using a backup 2 weeks old proved useless. It had at that time already no sound.
To try TimeMachine backups further older one by one might take me several days.
Every Installation from TimeMachine takes several hours!
Besides the data will become older and older.
Is there a way to modify or erase something in the present soundless Mojave system that would recreate the sound recognition?
Any help would be very appreciated.
Thank you very much!
Try to reinstall Mojave over your current installation. it will not erase your files or settings but it will probably restore your system files. Make sure you have a current backup just in case

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Try to reinstall Mojave over your current installation. it will not erase your files or settings but it will probably restore your system files. Make sure you have a current backup just in case
Thank you very much! Muchas gracias LuisN!
How should I proceed to do so ?
From the Recovery Partition?
I am afraid it might change my file system from HFS+ to APFS.
Edmundo

Last edited:

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Use the dosdude1 Patcher for Mojave to create a usb installer boot from the usb install Mojave over and DON’T apply post-install patches. It won’t convert to APFS - http://dosdude1.com/mojave/
I tried twice. I created the USB Mojave Installer using the files of dosdude1.
However when trying to boot from it, it stops the booting half way.
On the progressing horizontal indication stripe about half way it stops with the round turning symbol of spikes one sees when shutting down MacOS and does not complete booting.
I removed SIP but it made no difference.
With the Recovery Partition the Mojave installer grays out the HFS+ volumes so no way either.
Fot any other suggestion how to restore the sound components of the system which worked 2 months ago with my initial Mojave with HFS+ and still have sound when booting from the 2 months old clone, thank you very much in advance.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
I tried twice. I created the USB Mojave Installer using the files of dosdude1.
However when trying to boot from it, it stops the booting half way.
On the progressing horizontal indication stripe about half way it stops with the round turning symbol of spikes one sees when shutting down MacOS and does not complete booting.
I removed SIP but it made no difference.
With the Recovery Partition the Mojave installer grays out the HFS+ volumes so no way either.
Fot any other suggestion how to restore the sound components of the system which worked 2 months ago with my initial Mojave with HFS+ and still have sound when booting from the 2 months old clone, thank you very much in advance.

If someone had the interest to read this thread here is how I solved the problem.
Maybe it helps somebody.:rolleyes:
I contacted Apple Support although my Apple Care had long ago finished and found a friendly supporter who called back.
He wanted to help me but his advices showed little understanding of my predicament.
He told me to use my TimeMachine newest backup. That had little sense. Even a 2 weeks old backup I actually used, built after over 3 hours a still soundless Mojave...just with older data. :(
That learned me that TimeMachine alone is not enough. It should be joined by frequent bootable clones on external drives.
A bootable clone will more likely reveal serious system corruption (like lack of sound) while in TimeMachine one cannot know how further in time one must go to find a backup without the system corruption. And even if you go back in time until you find it, the data you get back will be old.:confused:
The friendly suggestion of LuisN to reinstall Mojave over my corrupted system using a Mojave USB installer made through the "dosdude1" patching tool did not work. It did not boot for reasons I do not know, therefore I made a USB Mojave installer using Apple's Terminal's "createinstallmedia".
I then made 2 APFS formatted external partitions. Luckily I had bought second-hand external drives.
To one of them I cloned the most recent Mojave I had with all its present day data but of course a soundless one.
On the second one I installed a fresh naked Mojave 10.14.6 with the USB installer. It had to be in APFS to be accepted by the installer.
Once finished I checked that this fresh (and still empty of additional data) Mojave had sound as it should be. It had it! :)
I booted from it and using the Migration Assistant I migrated all applications, settings and data from the othe APFS volume.
Luckily it did not get corrupted and the sound was still there once finished.
Since it was in APFS I could at the same time install the 2 Apple updates available.
Then I erased the inner drive of the MacPro 6.1 in HFS+ and cloned to it from the APFS volume everything, the now good working Mojave and all the applications, settings and data.
It created a bit of problems with the users names and rights but not something one cannot correct.
The whole took me several days and quite a lot of hours (and sweating) but a system without sound was not acceptable.
To sum up I repeat my advice of completing TimeMachine backups with frequent bootable external clones. :apple:
Hope this (alas!) long explanation helps somebody with a corrupted system to solve his/hers problems.
Ed

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: LuisN and camelia
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.