Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shreeaunsh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2016
Hey all !
I was a android user and decided to buy iphone for my self. My friend bought iphone 7 matt black from US for me. The iphone was purchesed as "iphone 7 unlocked by Verizon" besides there was no simcard with the phone so we thought its unlocked.
For some airport issues she had to put simcard in it , at the moment she had her T-Mobile simcard with her so she put that simcard in it and now its locked.
If u see the attached image you'll get clear idea of the error m getting, the phone is now in INDIA and T-Mobile doesn't work in India... I tried puting my Indian simcard in it , didn't help.

Please guide me what should I do , tried contacting apple people they said "we'll get back to to on this shortly"
IMG-20161014-WA0004.jpg
IMG-20161014-WA0004.jpg
IMG-20161015-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20161015-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20161014-WA0004.jpg
IMG-20161015-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20161015-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20161014-WA0004.jpg IMG-20161015-WA0000.jpg IMG-20161015-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20161014-WA0004.jpg
IMG-20161015-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20161014-WA0004.jpg
IMG-20161015-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20161015-WA0001.jpg

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hey all !
I was a android user and decided to buy iphone for my self. My friend bought iphone 7 matt black from US for me. The iphone was purchesed as "iphone 7 unlocked by Verizon" besides there was no simcard with the phone so we thought its unlocked.
For some airport issues she had to put simcard in it , at the moment she had her T-Mobile simcard with her so she put that simcard in it and now its locked.
If u see the attached image you'll get clear idea of the error m getting, the phone is now in INDIA and T-Mobile doesn't work in India... I tried puting my Indian simcard in it , didn't help.

Please guide me what should I do , tried contacting apple people they said "we'll get back to to on this shortly"
Per https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...bject-to-the-us-reseller-flex-policy.2006324/ it seems that the BestBuy phones first have to be activated with a particular carrier and it will take on the settings for that carrier--so if it would have been activated with T-Mobile then it would be activated and probably locked with T-Mobile, while if it would have been activated with Verizon it would have been unlocked as Verizon's policy is to have LTE phones unlocked. At this point you (or your friend) might want to contact T-Mobile somehow and have them unlock the phone given that the phone is fully paid for and shouldn't be locked even with them.

pmcjr

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2013
I just bought a new unlocked 6S from Apple (Apple calls it SIM Free). I activated it to AT&T while in the Apple Store so it now has an AT&T SIM. I was off my AT&T contract so this means I can stay with AT&T on a month to month basis. I have gotten two different answers from Apple reps as to what happens if/when I put another SIM in the phone. One said I would get the Hello screen prompting me to go thru the set up steps and then a restore from iCloud backup. The other one said all you have to do is swap SIMs and you're good to go. My particular interest was in using a foreign SIM if out of the country. Has anyone had this experience with an Unlocked iPhone?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Per https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...bject-to-the-us-reseller-flex-policy.2006324/ it seems that the BestBuy phones first have to be activated with a particular carrier and it will take on the settings for that carrier--so if it would have been activated with T-Mobile then it would be activated and probably locked with T-Mobile, while if it would have been activated with Verizon it would have been unlocked as Verizon's policy is to have LTE phones unlocked. At this point you (or your friend) might want to contact T-Mobile somehow and have them unlock the phone given that the phone is fully paid for and shouldn't be locked even with them.
Just stumbled into this…

T-Mobile is likely going to want that phone on their network for 50 days before they unlock. Even if it's fully paid for.

Shreeaunsh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2016
Just stumbled into this…

T-Mobile is likely going to want that phone on their network for 50 days before they unlock. Even if it's fully paid for.

Thanks Guys for all your help , i was able to unlock it .. and it was pretty simple actually....
i just logged into iTunes and turned find my iPhone off , factory reset ...and done. not m able to use it with my local carriers as well

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Thanks Guys for all your help , i was able to unlock it .. and it was pretty simple actually....
i just logged into iTunes and turned find my iPhone off , factory reset ...and done. not m able to use it with my local carriers as well
That's quite interesting. So basically reset all settings and content on the phone or a restore from iTunes?

Reactions: got556

natashad5

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2017
Hey all !

[doublepost=1504102158][/doublepost]Hello, I have a unique question for Shreeaunsh, I am wanting to know more about your receipt. I am new to MacRumors, can I ask you a question about your receipt?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.