Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bdodds1985

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
Tartarus
im new to the camera world but very interested in buying something such as a digital slr. however, i would love to be able to record at least 720p video as well. im looking for suggestions at a reasonable price, below 800 at least. unless it comes with everything. id love to get a whole package with a lens, bag, maybe a flash. like i said, its all new to me.

i am looking at the Canon EOS Rebel T3i with a standard 18-55mm lens, since im new and dont need anything too serious. i recently did some research on the differences between flash and ring light and (had no idea before just though the ring light looked cooler) i can say that i wont be shooting macro or close ups very often, so a Canon Speedlite 580EX II Flash (or is that too much) was another thing i was looking at.

also, i dont own any photography programs like photoshop but i will once i get a camera. just another thing i have no clue about but im sure i can learn something like that by reading and trial and error. google works wonders. i look forward to any input and suggestions you all might have. the more the merrier.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Check out dpreview both the reviews, glossary and forums. They'll provide you with as much information as you need to make an informed decision

thecowinheat

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2011
The T3i is a great frame. A few things you may want to look into or consider before buying a package.

CAmera Bag.
Most Camera bags that come with bundles are very poor. I highly recommend looking into making this purchase separately. There are several great threads in this forum with suggestions. Since i only carry my camera one spare lens and a laptop i prefer a timbuk messenger. A lot of people like the camera backpacks which are great for carrying all your gear including a tripod. Its all in what you plan on using.

Speedlight.
Speedlights are great add ons but i see them used incorrectly all the time. I actually hardly ever use mine and prefer using a fast lens instead of a flash in most situations. if you do get it make sure you get a good diffuser and the IR Transmitter. Most people i see using them that are new tend to put the flash on the camera and point it directly at the subject. This creates a harsh photo. Try experimenting with off camera flash and you can create some great pics.

Lenses:
The stock lens that comes with the camera does a decent job in well light situations. Its not the sharpest or is it fast but the IS helps it a good bit. I highly recommend looking at adding one or two pieces of good glass to your camera. In my experience Lenses have a bigger impact on image quality than the camera body. If you do go canon and are looking to take portraits (family pics etc) the Canon 1.8 50mm is by far the best bargain but trades off in that it is a fixed focal lens and you cannot zoom in and out(canon 1.4 50 mm is my go to lens but is only marginally better and cost 3 times as much). dpReview has great reviews of most lenses for most of the major providers (Cannon, Sony, Nikon, Sigma).

A good way to try new lenses is to bring your camera down to your local camera shop and ask them to try them. They will typically let you try them with your camera in the shop. Make sure you test them in different setups (low light, Bright light, High Contrast, diff focal lengths (extreme zoom, Maccro, middle range) etc.

Hope this helps and welcome to the club.

The Mad Kiwi

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2006
In Hell
I'd second getting a 50mm 1.8 as well. It'll let you experiment with fast lenses so you can selectively focus on the subject and create images like this.

18-12-11.jpg

thecowinheat

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2011
I'd second getting a 50mm 1.8 as well. It'll let you experiment with fast lenses so you can selectively focus on the subject and create images like this.

Good example Mad. another quick thing i forgot to mention is if this is your first DSLR but a basic guide to DSLR photography and Do not use AUTO mode. I have seen so many ppl buy expensive DSLR's and then just use auto. you are better off with a P&S for Auto than a DSLR as these cameras are built for it. I recommend playing in AV mode (Aperture mode) as this gives the user easy control over the camera. Full Manual and TV (shutter priority) take a lot more knowledge of the camera to utilize fully.

jdavtz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2005
Kenya
The book "Understanding Exposure" is very good, and I'd rate it way above buying anything other than the most basic equipment.

In terms of spending your money, I'd make the suggestion of buying a second-hand DSLR and lens, buy that book, experiment for 6-12 months, and then I expect either you'll decide photography as a hobby isn't for you, or you enjoy it and want to buy more/newer kit. (In which case you'll have a really good idea what expensive kit you actually want/need to take the shots you're struggling with).

This way, you don't end up buying stuff you don't use, and you don't buy new stuff that you'll sell after a year or so.

I've gone down the far more expensive route of buying numerous small upgrades to get to where I want to be, rather than just saving for the stuff I REALLY wanted from the time I decided that photography was something I wanted to pursue as a hobby.

If I were starting now, I'd buy a Canon 5D Mark II, a 24-70mm f/2.8, a 35mm f/1.4, and a 135mm f/2. But that costs a lot, and you don't want to do it unless you know you want to, and that those are the lenses that fit your own style of shooting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.