Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timidhermit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 6, 2011
I want to upgrade the stock Apple SSD in my newly purchased used MacPro6,1 (2013 model) to a higher capacity. I want to upgrade to at least 1TB and preferably 2TB.

Being a newbie, I don't understand much of the information posted in the FAQ (which I tried to read) and many of the threads here on this forum on similar topics, so I need some basic recommendations on the upgrade.

A specific usage case I have is that I need to dual boot to MacOS and Windows 10 / 11 (that is, not using VMware to run Windows in VM). I like to install Windows 11 on a separate partition from that of MacOS. I understand that not all nvme SSD will work because only certain BootROM versions and brands will allow this dual setup.

Here are my questions:

1. If I want to stick with stock Apple SSD, is 1TB the maximum capacity?
2. For stock Apple SSD, which RAM manufacturer should I get preferably? How do I check that the SSD is genuine Apple part based on the part's appearance (so I know how to search for them on eBay)?
3. For 2TB SSD, which is the preferred model and manufacturer of SSD (such as the 2TB blade from OWC)? Are there better options from Samsung and other brands? I preferred ones that do not require separate adapters as these adapters may cause problem with dual OS setup.

I don't mind if the SSD is in used condition. Compatibility and ease of setup are more important for my build with the dual boot requirement.

Please help!!! :)

AlexMaximus

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
A400M Base
Hi,

To your questions, (1) If you stick to Apple you are limited to 1TB as as far as I know.
When it comes to RAM (2), you can choose any manufacturer as long as you stick to the original specifications.
I personally use Hynix for decades and can recommend it, it has been flawless for decades. Since you got the 6.1 that late in the game, you can easily source used original Apple Ram Modules on eBay from people that part with their 6.1. Usually there are great deals out there if you have a bit time to wait for the right package.
When it comes to the third party SSDs on the 6.1, you need to know the following. Apple loves to imprision you in their Apple proprietary walled garden, so they changed the SSD port to their Apple design. With third parties you have two routs: 1. Use Third party SSDs with the original Apple SSD port (A) or use Standard modules with an Adapter (B).
I case you go with (A) there are limited options. OWC initially issued a larger but slower SSD upgrade with heatsink, that did go up to 4TB. Sometimes you can find one used on e-Bay as well. Later on OWC changed that SSD upgrade design and offered a faster SSD with smaller footprint and faster controller. However the size was shrieked back to 2TB max size. This design later on received another facelift which is todays Aura Pro 2X. The advantage with this is no need for an adapter. When it comes to quality and reliability, the rating for OWC SSD on this forum is a "mixed bag" at best.
I have read in some posts that there have been some smaller issues with the earlier models, however they are supposedly are iron out by now, which means the current OWC Gen SSD Upgrade would be an "OK" choice.
The other option is the adapter use with a standard SSD (B). The Adapter is very cheap and convenient and is used to upgrade many Apple models to standard SSDs. -> Google for:

NGFF M.2 zu PCIe Adapter​

This one enables you to use most standard NVME Standard SSDs.

On the standard SSD's I have been very satisfied with Samsung and Kigston SSDs for decades. As with the RAM from Hynix, I have never had a single error when it comes to Samsung or Kingston SSDs. However, there are several users in this forum that observed obstacles with some newer issued Samsung SSDs lately. Four you this means to hunt for little older Samsung models that equals the same time era of your MP 6.1. Choosing a Samsung model that was launched in 2016/17 would be the gold standard in your case, which brings you towards the Samsung 970 Evo Plus with 2TB.
Maybe other valued forum member can give you their point of view as well. Once you have collected some more updates from other valuable forum member that, ähm.. actually own a MP 6.1 (I don't), you will be able to make the best possible decision for your upgrade path.

Last but not least, there is one more option that falls under the "Mutant" category which is from Amfeltec.

Reactions: timidhermit

steve123

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2007
Avoid using the Samsung 980 PRO with the Mac Pro 6,1. I was using the Samsung 980 PRO in my Mac Pro 6,1 and experienced problems with Monterey 12.6.1 and Ventura. I currently use a Kingston Fury Renegade. Pay attention to the endurance specification of the SSD (and be sure to normalize the spec to 1TB so you can compare SSD's with different storage capacity).

Last edited:

timidhermit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 6, 2011
Hi,

To your questions, (1) If you stick to Apple you are limited to 1TB as as far as I know.
When it comes to RAM (2), you can choose any manufacturer as long as you stick to the original specifications.
I personally use Hynix for decades and can recommend it, it has been flawless for decades. Since you got the 6.1 that late in the game, you can easily source used original Apple Ram Modules on eBay from people that part with their 6.1. Usually there are great deals out there if you have a bit time to wait for the right package.
When it comes to the third party SSDs on the 6.1, you need to know the following. Apple loves to imprision you in their Apple proprietary walled garden, so they changed the SSD port to their Apple design. With third parties you have two routs: 1. Use Third party SSDs with the original Apple SSD port (A) or use Standard modules with an Adapter (B).
I case you go with (A) there are limited options. OWC initially issued a larger but slower SSD upgrade with heatsink, that did go up to 4TB. Sometimes you can find one used on e-Bay as well. Later on OWC changed that SSD upgrade design and offered a faster SSD with smaller footprint and faster controller. However the size was shrieked back to 2TB max size. This design later on received another facelift which is todays Aura Pro 2X. The advantage with this is no need for an adapter. When it comes to quality and reliability, the rating for OWC SSD on this forum is a "mixed bag" at best.
I have read in some posts that there have been some smaller issues with the earlier models, however they are supposedly are iron out by now, which means the current OWC Gen SSD Upgrade would be an "OK" choice.
The other option is the adapter use with a standard SSD (B). The Adapter is very cheap and convenient and is used to upgrade many Apple models to standard SSDs. -> Google for:

Thanks, AlexMaximus. Your advice has been very helpful.

Based on your advice, it appears that I have two choices:

First choice, which is the safest, is to purchase an used 1TB stock Apple SSD for MacPro6,1 on eBay or another marketplace. What tips do you have for me in terms of looking for this SSD? Based on what I read from elsewhere, Apple used a number of different suppliers for the 1TB SSD. Any particular version or make or model / part number of this SSD I should get? Are they fake Apple SSD out there?

Second choice is to purchase the 1TB or 2TB OWC Aura Pro 2X which does not require an adapter. Will this SSD work if I want to use BootCamp to load Windows or even installing Windows only on the SSD without a macOS partition?

Am I correct?

timidhermit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 6, 2011
Avoid using the Samsung 980 PRO with the Mac Pro 6,1. I was using the Samsung 980 PRO in my Mac Pro 6,1 and experienced problems with Monterey 12.6.1 and Ventura. I currently use a Kingston Fury Renegade. Pay attention to the endurance specification of the SSD (and be sure to normalize the spec to 1TB so you can compare SSD's with different storage capacity).

Thanks, steve123. Based on AlexMaximus' advice, I think I should stick with an SSD that does not require an adapter.

AlexMaximus

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
A400M Base
Since the Aura X2 is already OWC‘S 3rd Gen SSD, we can assume that most flaws have been ironed out by now. You should be fine using that AuraX2 blade.
Steve123 points out, what happened lately in the SSD chip market. Many newer SSD drives have gone through quality reduction measures (cost savings) which impacts performance and longevit.

timidhermit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 6, 2011
Since the Aura X2 is already OWC‘S 3rd Gen SSD, we can assume that most flaws have been ironed out by now. You should be fine using that AuraX2 blade.
Steve123 points out, what happened lately in the SSD chip market. Many newer SSD drives have gone through quality reduction measures (cost savings) which impacts performance and longevit.
AlexMaximus, I have decided to buy a 1TB used stock Apple SSD, in part because of budget constraint. What about the previous questions I asked about finding one on eBay? Like before, do you any tips for me in terms of looking for this SSD? Since Apple used a number of different suppliers for the 1TB SSD, any particular version or make or model / part number of this SSD I should get?

steve123

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2007
AlexMaximus, I have decided to buy a 1TB used stock Apple SSD, in part because of budget constraint. What about the previous questions I asked about finding one on eBay? Like before, do you any tips for me in terms of looking for this SSD? Since Apple used a number of different suppliers for the 1TB SSD, any particular version or make or model / part number of this SSD I should get?
Be careful about purchasing a used SSD. The endurance could be exhausted and the drive is end of life. If you deal with reputable vendor, ask for the TBW for the drive reported using smartmontools. Compare that to the specification for the drive and estimate how much life is remaining (smartmontools will report this as well).

AlexMaximus

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
A400M Base
Since the MP 6,1 has only one single SSD, this is usually used as the Master SSD where the Mac OS System resides.
This drive has all the Apps on it and is the boot drive. Now in my industry, most people always split their duties between drives and use separate drives for scratch, data & video transfers or use separate mission specific project drives that are exchanged between customers or\contributors. For this, in many cases, fully rugged external drives are used. Since the single SSD on the MP 6.1 can not be removed (or is not intended for frequent removal & exchanche) chances are high, that those used SSDs are not exhausted by frequent delete & overwrite cycles. (Just ask your self how often do you completely delete your main Mac OS System drive? In case of the MP5.1 this is different because of the convenient tray HDD system for quick exchange. This is not the case with the MP6.1.
I bet, chances are that a very high % of used Mac Pro SSDs have Not seen manny Re-write cycles, which means you most likely look at mostly presteen SSD drives, especially if you buy it from semi - professionals privateers and not from a film studio. On top of that, you can be absolutely sure that you will get only the very best SSD from Apple. Apple has big time market power and is THE premium OEM customer. There is absolutely no doubt, that Apple Product Quality for supplied parts is extremely stringent (six sigma stringent) to allow only the very best Quality in such a high priced product, such as the Mac Pro line, regardless if Apple did choose to switch SSD suppliers from time to time during its full product life cycle. So don’t worry, you will be save in this case.

timidhermit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 6, 2011
Since the MP 6,1 has only one single SSD, this is usually used as the Master SSD where the Mac OS System resides.
This drive has all the Apps on it and is the boot drive. Now in my industry, most people always split their duties between drives and use separate drives for scratch, data & video transfers or use separate mission specific project drives that are exchanged between customers or\contributors. For this, in many cases, fully rugged external drives are used. Since the single SSD on the MP 6.1 can not be removed (or is not intended for frequent removal & exchanche) chances are high, that those used SSDs are not exhausted by frequent delete & overwrite cycles. (Just ask your self how often do you completely delete your main Mac OS System drive? In case of the MP5.1 this is different because of the convenient tray HDD system for quick exchange. This is not the case with the MP6.1.
I bet, chances are that a very high % of used Mac Pro SSDs have Not seen manny Re-write cycles, which means you most likely look at mostly presteen SSD drives, especially if you buy it from semi - professionals privateers and not from a film studio. On top of that, you can be absolutely sure that you will get only the very best SSD from Apple. Apple has big time market power and is THE premium OEM customer. There is absolutely no doubt, that Apple Product Quality for supplied parts is extremely stringent (six sigma stringent) to allow only the very best Quality in such a high priced product, such as the Mac Pro line, regardless if Apple did choose to switch SSD suppliers from time to time during its full product life cycle. So don’t worry, you will be save in this case.

Thanks, AlexMaximus, again for your advice. I will follow your advice to seek out an used SSD from Apple on eBay.

Meanwhile, I just saw a video on the YouTube channel ConstantGeekery on upgrading the MacPro6,1:

In it, the host mentioned that a Gen 4 genuine Apple SSD from non-MacPro models could also be used in a MacPro6,1. Unfortunately, he did not explain further on this upgrade. If so, what models of this other SSD can I search on eBay to get for my MacPro?

timidhermit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 6, 2011
I like the sk Hynix P31 Gold SSD. It runs about 10 degrees C cooler than the Samsung SSDs. It's available in 2TB capacity.
Is this one of the official stock SSD blades used by Apple for MacPro6,1? I can't find it. The ones I saw so far on eBay for MacPro6,1 were all Samsung ones.

timidhermit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 6, 2011
Hi,

AlexMaximus,

I received an offer from an eBay seller from whom I am trying to buy the genuine Apple SSD 1TB that you recommended. That seller said that I can also buy the genuine Apple SSD 2TB that is originally from the iMac and iMac Pro and the part also works with MacPro6,1.

Is this true? I am skeptical since you did not mention this option in your original reply. If so, will Apple server allow me to reinstall the OS onto this SSD using Internet Recovery?

steve123

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2007
I received an offer from an eBay seller from whom I am trying to buy the genuine Apple SSD 1TB that you recommended
Beware purchasing a used SSD on eBay without first getting a guarantee on the amount of wear it has accumulated.

timidhermit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 6, 2011
Beware purchasing a used SSD on eBay without first getting a guarantee on the amount of wear it has accumulated.
Thanks. I did. The seller said that I could return the drive for refund if CrystalMark stats are bad once I tested it. What about the question I asked earlier? Will a genuine Apple SSD 2TB that is originally from the iMac and iMac Pro and the part also works with MacPro6,1?

steve123

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2007
CrystalMark stats are bad once I tested it
I am not aware the CrystalMark reports wear? You may want to consider using smartmontools.

Will a genuine Apple SSD 2TB that is originally from the iMac and iMac Pro and the part also works with MacPro6,1?
I am not aware that Apple ever made a 2TB SSD, I recall reading this in several threads here. You should double check.

mikas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2017
Finland
They did 2TB for later models like iMac 2017, and if I understand it correctly, it should work in a Mac Pro 2013 too.
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) - Technical Specifications

It's 12+16 pin NVMe. Don't know if firmware versions would prohibit it to qork or not. I can try it later with 1TB gen. 5B because I am on the eve of updating an iMac 2017 from 1TB to a bigger drive.

It seems to be physically wider than normal blades, but it should fit easily inside the 6,1 tube.
The prices and availability though - not so much encouraging.

A good source for SSD info on Macs:
The Ultimate Guide to Apple’s Proprietary SSDs
"the 2TB drive makes for the biggest, fastest OEM drive that can be used to upgrade Apple devices dating back to 2013"

Reactions: AlexMaximus
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.