Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Yes, there are several products that convert component signals into a firewire DV stream or some other similar format. I'm pretty sure even some of the other EyeTV products do this--check out their website.

But... I'm pretty sure that most, if not all, of them introduce a very slight lag between the input signal and what's on the screen. It's ordinarily totally un-noticible, but with gaming the timing is so sharp it could well make the game unplayable.

I could be mistaken--it's entirely possible that some of the newer products are lag-less--but it was certainly an issue when I tried this with the DV codec box I have.

Fedge

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2006
Makosuke said:
But... I'm pretty sure that most, if not all, of them introduce a very slight lag between the input signal and what's on the screen. It's ordinarily totally un-noticible, but with gaming the timing is so sharp it could well make the game unplayable.

I could be mistaken--it's entirely possible that some of the newer products are lag-less--but it was certainly an issue when I tried this with the DV codec box I have.

The new EyeTV250 is advertised as having zero lag. They did this specifically for console gaming. Appears to work great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.